US Air Cavalry Loadout

Hi guys, I am looking to create a fan-fiction style loadout for the US Air Cavalry in Vietnam after watching 'Apocalypse Now' recently. I was wondering if you guys have some advice, suggestions or opinions on what should go into it. Gotta be cheap, hence why I say fan-fiction style. I want peeps to know its an Air Cav setup but I don't need it to be perfect.

Atm I am thinking of going for a highly 'Colonel Kilgore' (napalm in the morning guy for those who can't remember) inspired loadout - but the specifics would probably be expensive. For instance an M1911 with pearl grips! That may have to change to a wood gripped revolver. I've found a yellow scarf as the Air Cav used in VN. Also got a black stetson which I am happy with. SOF military have the gold US Air Cav 'acorn' hat bands although if you guys have any suggestions on wear to find something similar please let me know. Reason being that as much as I like to feel invincible on the battlefield, too much yellow is going to start giving me away. Perhaps a black or green toggle band is what I want.

Anyway, if you have thought about doing this yourself/like the sound of it please leave any suggestions, comments etc.

One piece of reference:

apclypsnow_duvall.jpg

• 1 month later...

Right then.

Col. Kilgore appears to be wearing 3rd pattern fatigues tucked into the trousers- It would appear that he's had a tailor remove the bottom pockets to make that look neater.

The belt is a US General Officers dress belt with the gold buckle- highly impractical for the field, but a in keeping with the 'Custer'esque stylings of Kilgore.

Incorrectly for the unit and period on the War, his M16 has a 30 round mag. It's not impossible, certainly, but very unlikely as the 30 rounders were rare until 71-72 and then got snapped up by REMFs and SF whenever they appeared.

From a practicality POV- No LCE. Where are your spare mags/water?....In game, you won't be hopping on a Huey or relying on your 'batman' to hand you the bits you need to stay in game.

As an impression for wandering around a reenactment event in summer, it's brilliant.

For being a useful gaming loadout, it's rather less so.

PS- where'd you get your Aircav yellow neckerchief? Me wanty!

Here's my fully loaded Air Cav set up, which might provide inspiration:

VN.jpg

VN2.jpg

VN3bk.jpg

Base:

3rd pattern Jungle fatigues, badged to Air Cav with my own nametapes and 1st Lt's rank bars on the collar

M1 steel pot with mitchell cover

3rd Pattern Jungle boots

Webgear:

M56 H sussies, Belt, 3x universal mag pouches, 2x canteen covers, FFD, Buttpack, double pistol mag pouch

Black leather .45 holster

Extras:

C-rat Marlboros in a Chieu Hoi bag on the tinbin, along with a P38 can opener and some C-Rat matches.

Original 1960s CND badge on the cover.

'68 dated bandolier

Claymore satchel

1960s NVA rucksack

N3B leather gloves converted to 'recon gauntlets'

MWC Vietnam watch

Correct notched edge dogtags plus extra on my boot.

Drop down rope and 1972 dated snap carabiner

Korean war parachute silk 'drive on' rag

Hardware:

M16a1 (G&P)

1911a1 (KJW)

Couple of M69 baseball frags (deacts)

Couple of M17 smokes (deacts)

Demoncase, the scarf I am referring to should be on the other end of this link: Plain Mustard Scarf

I think it looks pretty damn close. The size and style is correct, the colour may be just a touch too strong but some field usage and washing should correct that. For £3 you can't go wrong.

SOF now have the full Air Cav stetsons with crossed sabres and yellow acorn band so I am thinking of getting one of those, since you can't get much closer than genuine US made ones.

I was thinking a need some new goggles for the loadout, something VN-ish. Have you guys got any ideas for this. I have heard of some custom BCG style airsoft goggles, maybe something along those lines.

The issue goggles at the time would've been the SWD (Sand/Wind/dust) Goggles- the same ones worn by the Rangers in BHD!...Yep, they lasted that long.

These are in-way-shape-or-form even faintly AIRSOFT SAFE- the lense are NOT ballistic rated.

You could, I'm sure, make an airsoft safe lense from perspex or similar.

http://www.commogear.com/product_info.php?products_id=51118195

As to the 'scarf' you listed- it'd do for sure, but Kilgore's 'scarf' is actually an 'ascot', as referenced in Shelby Stanton's book on Uniforms in the period

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/big-id-8-shbgid-4403.html

The rear section has press-studs that secure it at the rear.

DC, you missed the post war black nylon sling on Kilgore's '16.

All the times I've watched the film and I've only just noticed that from the picture :geek:

True enough- that's what comes from filming in the Phillipines where that would've been issue (along with the longer mags)

It seems you know your beans when it comes to VN kit Demoncase :D

I don't doubt that you are right about the 'ascot' scarf but surely they must have changed the design or something - its just seems as though the one you linked to doesn't match the one Kilgore himself is wearing.

Frankly I wish I had seen your link before hand. With that said buying from the US is never easy. I have not yet tried out my scarf with a jacket and things to see if it looks correct. I will try and get a pic for you to see.

Thanks mate, it's through patient research.

As to the scarf design it's the same now.....FYI, Ascots are intended for wear with the dress uniforms (Specifically Class B Khakis in absence of a tie) and despite what's shown in Apoc.Now, it really wouldn't have been worn in the field for the precisely the reasons you've identified. :)

Have a look at Paul Miraldi's excellent books on US Army Uniforms and the seperate Advisor's volume

You'll see the Ascot scarf shown with a number of Class B Khaki uniforms in different colours- generally the pale blue to denote Infantry- but never with the field gear.....

Like I said, it's a good look of re-enactment events, but very limited for gaming...... Then again, if you can't fight then you can at least wear a big hat. :D

Well, providing the scarf is fairly light I won't mind using it too much. Okay, yeah the colour is no good but tbh sometimes I just can't be arsed to be all sneaky. Say for instance I am at a big event such as GZW (which I intend to use this loadout at this year) when there's 1500 people you don't need to be sneaky because you are just one of about 40 seperate targets that the enemy has to worry about.

Hat wise I shouldn't have too many problems, I already wear a giant stetson during all my skirmishes and its never been too much trouble. Main reason why I like it is because if I notice an impending hail of fire then I will instinctively flinch and cover my face with the brim of my hat, okay I am still 'hit' but at least I didn't just get 400fps in the face :D

With that said I am certainly going to be presenting a lot of yellow to the enemy (scarf, hat band, crossed sabres, Air Cav patch).

Archived