Battlefield 3

TheFull9

Figured after the big rush of information today I'd put up a thread. Here's the first teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgj-vzb0Lyo

Some details confirmed by DICE/EA representatives so far:

* Prone

* Jets

* 64 Players for PC

* 24 Players for consoles

* Modern/Urban combat across the globe including Tehran, Paris, and New York

* Vehicle warfare (including sea)

* Destruction

* Drag fallen teammates to safety

* Single player campaign

* Co-op campaign

* USMC, EU, Russian, and MEC (or variant) factions

* No Windows XP support

* PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3

* Battlefield 3 Limited edition copy announced at GDC '11

The limited edition will also apparently give you the 'Back to Karkand' DLC for free when it comes out around a month after the main game, which will include 4 maps and a load of the weapons/equipment from BF2 and the usual extra shiny things for you to collect. This means I'll be buying the limited edition because, let me assure all you console players that never tried BF2, Strike at Karkand was the most awesome map in that game.

Hopefully this will be a true sequel to BF2 rather than being a bit of a lightweight BC3-a-like, if they can pull that off and make this the true BF game it deserves to be then I'll be a very happy man.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it keeps the main aspects of BF2 it should be a success.

Definitely. I'm really hoping to see the commander come back, I never quite got my War College ribbon, but I came damn close.

I'm sold. When can I get the limited edition?

Pretty much my thinking. The limited edition is up for pre-order now on the EA UK digital store for £40, though I reckon it'll be a lot cheaper when it appears on Play/Amazon UK etc.

My inclination however is that what they're calling the limited edition is actually just the basic one, and the DLC is an anti-second-hand thing, like they did with the "VIP map packs" in BC2 and the Cerberus network in ME2. Buy a normal new copy of the games and you get a code to access all that stuff when it's released, get the game second hand and you have to pay for that same DLC. Looking at Medal of Honor, it was actually extremely difficult to find a copy that was neither the 'limited' or 'teir 1' editions.

As an interesting aside, the BC2 style 'burning' man they've got in the artwork has MBUS on his rifle, which got a mention from magpul:

http://www.magpul.com/index.php?id=45

There's a lot of other cool RS stuff in the art which is a nice sign. Oakley boots and gloves, Eagle RRV, IR Strobe, MICH 2000, Surefire helmet light, ESS goggles, MBITR, shingle pouches, retention lanyard etc. The rifle's sporting a 552, Surefire M900, MBUS, PEQ-15, KAC Suppressor, long DD free-float rail and a redi-mag. If they model the US/EU personnel with that kinda kit it's gonna look amazing.

Damn!! Just pre-ordered Top Spin 4 and Crysis 2 from game, guess this will have to be added as well. I'm undecided whether to go for PC or Xbox, i loved the large rolling battles of BF2 on PC, not to mention dedicated servers, but my machine will be two years old by the time this comes out so do i go for he Xbox version?

Mines 4 years old, I can max out BF:BC2 at 1280x1024 :) I will probably be getting a new graphics card in a month or two though. Too many good games coming out, Crysis 2, TD:Unlimited 2, BF3, Portal 2... I'm expecting HL2:Ep3 this year too. Unless Valve have forgotten about it :unsure:

No, sorry I meant as in HL 3 will continue the plot from the 'episodes'. I think it was just a rumour but it would make a lot of sense... the ship they went looking for had all kinds of incredible tech on it didn't it? Might be time for an engine upgrade (and also I'm hoping the portal gun will be in it :P).

I'm going Xbox, I hate having to constantly tinker with PCs for gaming. Though I'm concerned that if jets are in 24 player console matches it might be a bit uneven :s

I don't imagine there'll be many fast jets spawning in any of the maps on the console versions, probably 1 per team the most and not many of the maps will have them at all. It wouldn't really work with the whole player/map size ratio unless they give everyone else a tank or APC to bomb around in; but you never know, they might do an 'everyone gets a vehicle' map for the 24 player versions, which is a mode that battlefield has been due for many years to be fair.

Obviously the real multi-layered, diverse front line conflict will be on the maximum sized 64 player maps, which made for the most fun in BF2 (outside of the infantry maps like Sharqi and Karkand). Gulf of Oman 64 was probably the quintessential BF2 map, which I'd guess is why they put it in the original demo. Playing that as USMC and hopping in to a Blackhawk at round start, hanging out the side as a Spec-Ops and popping off rounds through your Comp M2, flying across the water then transitioning over the beach and dropping in to the MEC held areas was just an amazing experience.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere there wasn't going to be an episode 3 and they were going straight to the next half life.

I think a lot of people speculated that, and then someone got an interview with someone at valve (newell possibly) who said that Ep3 just kept growning and growing as they were making it so it'll pretty much end up as almost a full-sized game when it's released, hence the long delay. Look how ######-takingly long HL2 took to make.

Personally I think BC2 was way too serious and trying to look more like MW2 than the great parody BC1 was, quite simillar to Clint Eastwood/Sutherland/Sabalas WWII film (cant remember the name), Haggard was Epic and the comical duo he made with sweetwater, well, "just" awesome. Unfortunatly BC2 lost most of that "feeling" and EA/DICE announced some time ago that BF and BC will be two different franchises, so i have no high hope about a good campaign in BF3 but I wish im proven wrong as happened with the first Modern Warfare, BEST COD up to date

Can't comment on that, haven't played BC2...though I should huh? XD

At least marketing-wise, BC1 pushed a lot of "humor" into the game - just look at the Youtube vids (some still give me a good laugh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfz96fJepSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59k8_HhcOI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LrVeq41js

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gk_3NuiX2M

Personally I think BC2 was way too serious and trying to look more like MW2 than the great parody BC1 was, quite simillar to Clint Eastwood/Sutherland/Sabalas WWII film (cant remember the name), Haggard was Epic and the comical duo he made with sweetwater, well, "just" awesome. Unfortunatly BC2 lost most of that "feeling" and EA/DICE announced some time ago that BF and BC will be two different franchises, so i have no high hope about a good campaign in BF3 but I wish im proven wrong as happened with the first Modern Warfare, BEST COD up to date

Fair enough, I admit I did enjoy the bit where he started an invasion by himself...

Edit: Riptide I take it back, those videos were hilarious. I haven't seen those before!!

Nah! you shouldnt if you consider yourself a fan of the first BC

Videos at youtube were the ones which made me think "I want to play that game", even after being fed up with BF series failures.

EDIT:

Fair enough' date=' I admit I did enjoy the bit where he started an invasion by himself... [/quote']

Or when:

Sarge: Haggard! tell me why I shouldnt courtmarcial you right now.

Haggard: Because... you love me sarge? from a profesional point of view, of course!

Be fair and tell me you didnt laugh your *albatross with that dialogue :lol:

Archived