Battlefield 3

TheFull9

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those videos are what I imagine going to war with Chris Costa and Travis Haley would be like :lol:

Difference is that Haggard and Sweetwater would make you killed in the first 5 battle minutes :lol:

Offtopic: The Hind level in BC was mix of hilarious and awesome, best flying level I ever played

After MW2 and MoH I don't really see EA breaking from the currently-running formula, I'd imagine it taking a more serious route. That said, it might go the other way, if anyone remembers the trailer for the SF expansion pack for BF2 that was an amazing mix of coolness and comedy; one minute it's all NVGs and stealth kills, next it's a guy zip-lining in to the side of a building, smashing over some bins and scaring a cat... awesome.

It's hard to guess to be honest because none of the proper stand-alone BF games have had a single player portion before, other than that weird thing in 1942 that was just a series of MP style games with lots of AI, but that doesn't really count. Hopefully it's DICE making all of it rather than 2 devs being used as in MoH, because the 2 parts didn't mesh together very well at all there.

so i have no high hope about a good campaign in BF3 but I wish im proven wrong as happened with the first Modern Warfare, BEST COD up to date

You thought 4 was better than 1/UO? Ooh, bold statement.

Difference is that Haggard and Sweetwater would make you killed in the first 5 battle minutes :lol:

Offtopic: The Hind level in BC was mix of hilarious and awesome, best flying level I ever played

Loved that level, so much fun!

Really quite excited about BF3 :D I just hope to god DICE have their heads screwed on and don't mess it up. It probably will be awesome, I just hope they don't try to compete too much with Call of Duty and ruin the feel of the game...BF (multiplayer anyway) has always been about being a cog in the war machine, part of a bigger battle, not (as in CoD) the uber special forces guys who save the day every time.

I've just been reading the EA website for the game, and they mention some really interesting features.

explosions throw you to the ground

and

Feel the impact of bullets and explosions

I think explosions and bullet impacts are really going to affect you in BF3...currently in BC2 explosions jerk your aim off (they overdid it slightly for the beta...) but I think BF3 will take this to a whole now level. I gotta say, I think it'd be kinda cool to have, say, a 40 mm grenade land nearby and be thrown to the ground and have to struggle to your feet.

drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain

These two also look good. The only other game I think of where you can rest your gun on terrain is Red Orchestra, so it's good to see the feature creeping into more games. Dragging wounded friendlies behind cover's gonna be awesome too (PR has been wanting to do that for years :P).

As much as I hate CoD, there are a few things I would like to see in more games - different reload animations depending on whether you emptied the magazine or not (and on that note, correct reloading would be good). Also the climbing system for getting over obstacles - if you think about it, you wouldn't really need to jump in an FPS if there was a foolproof climbing system.

Another hope of mine is that they don't have some silly 'perk' system which makes the game really hard to balance. In particular, vehicle perks are daft. In a tank I should not have to choose between having either zoomable optics or a coaxial MG or smoke launchers.

I also think army-specific weapons and gear would be cool. It bugs me in BC2 when all the Russians are using M16s and XM8s.

And a final thing - MOD TOOLS! One of the things that made BF2 great was it's mod-ability, it would be so. cool. if modders could get to play around with the Frostbite 2 engine. The possibilities...

EDIT: sorry about the huge post, I've always been a BF fan and as you can probably tell I'm pretty hyped about this game! :D

These two also look good. The only other game I think of where you can rest your gun on terrain is Red Orchestra, so it's good to see the feature creeping into more games. Dragging wounded friendlies behind cover's gonna be awesome too (PR has been wanting to do that for years :P).

You could setup LMGs on any horizontal surface (ground when prone, window ledges etc) in CoD: United Offensive, which is funny because along with Red Orchestra it's a pretty old game. I believe it's quite tricky to implement so most titles just don't bother and put in fixed MGs instead.

As much as I hate CoD, there are a few things I would like to see in more games - different reload animations depending on whether you emptied the magazine or not (and on that note, correct reloading would be good). Also the climbing system for getting over obstacles - if you think about it, you wouldn't really need to jump in an FPS if there was a foolproof climbing system.

Another hope of mine is that they don't have some silly 'perk' system which makes the game really hard to balance. In particular, vehicle perks are daft. In a tank I should not have to choose between having either zoomable optics or a coaxial MG or smoke launchers.

I also think army-specific weapons and gear would be cool. It bugs me in BC2 when all the Russians are using M16s and XM8s.

And a final thing - MOD TOOLS! One of the things that made BF2 great was it's mod-ability, it would be so. cool. if modders could get to play around with the Frostbite 2 engine. The possibilities...

Pretty much agree with all that, reload animations in particular as them being so lazy as to just use the same one all the time does irk me, even CoD gets that right. The ones in BF2 I didn't mind as you at least knew they'd work mostly (even if there was far too much cocking/racking of the charging handles) but the BC2 animations were pretty rubbish, who slaps underneath an AK mag? You shouldn't even do that with M4 style magazines. Mantling is also definitely on the wanted list, real people can climb up things higher than their own knees, and not having a jump button negates bunny hopping as a side bonus.

From what I've read the mod tools aren't looking too likely unfortunately, DICE have said that the engine is so complex that if they did do them they'd have to be extremely toned down and simplified, in which case they 'might as well not really bother', but we shall see. The great thing about BF2 was that it was a real gamers' game, with the demo theater, the modding community, the config files you could edit, all the stuff you could do in the console. It felt like it was designed for adults with brains, rather than stupid kids as many games seem to be now.

I know this is asking for a flaming but am I the only one who severely dislike the frostbite engine? I much preferred the original battlefield engine, it's hard to describe but the aiming and general gameplay just felt...crisper?

Will still buy the game regardless of what I think of the engine, simply because it's battlefield

I've never understood jumping in FPS games, really. For sure none of these designers have ever put on a full set of armor and ammo and then measured their vertical. Sure, you need to get over objects, but that can be done quite well. MoH did it nicely, as does Red Dead Redemption and any number of other games.

Did any of you guys ever play Project Reality? Best thing to ever come out of the BF series, in my opinion. When it was working, that is. Their suppression system was controversial but IMO brilliant.

I like the frostbite engine, it brings destruction into game in a "more or less" good way and is not as resource hungry as the CryEngine, this second version seems very very good, in fact, judgin by the already released teaser pics it can rival with the CryEngine used in Crysis2.

Personally I think the "its very complex" excuse is just that, a lame excuse as modders have allways surpased BF series with their mods, being the tools complex or simplified, they just dont want modders make another Project reality or forgotten hope just to put them to shame or loose sales from their expansions... not to mention that mods make a games life longer, so they cant release a new game every two years, or less. reason is allways the same, money.

New video interview with the general manger at DICE:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/11/dice-interview-building-battlefield-3.aspx

Sadly no real details on the game itself but it's still nice to hear the guys making it talk about their methodologies and the way they approach things. I'm still not 100% convinced that they've really made the PC game the primary one and worked the console versions around it, because the consoles are where the money's at, but time will tell. The proper big reveal's coming at the GDC on the 1st of March, so hopefully not long to wait for the real meat of the info.

First trailer with proper in-game footage:

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3/videos/gameplay-debut

Sadly it's the offline campaign which is of secondary interest to me personally, but if that's definitely not pre-rendered footage (which it isn't) that's gonna look shweeeeet at max graphics on a big screen. I reckon we'll be seeing the multi-player portion for the first time at the big reveal on the first of march, this has certainly got me excited for that date.

That's always been my thought - more visual value. But TBH who cares, I'd much rather see correct weapon models than brass flying in my face :)

EDIT

Haggard: THERE'S GOLD IN THEM THERE HILLS!! *invades country by himself*

Or they simple make in-game soldiers hold the weapons left-handed.

But unfortunately I have not seen such an option since Counter Strike.

-------------

Also, I have a feeling that the "Sea" vehicle warfare will be rafts and carriers, which spawns APC/jets/helo.

First in game footage trailer has me excited! Looks awesome, as long as they make the US Marine compaign interesting and not just another stock US forces story. However even if they do, all will be be forgiven if the multiplayer's good! :D

PS was that a correct EOTech reticle I saw??

Archived