Battlefield 3

TheFull9

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to the possibility of a new PR mod with all of the new engines bells & whistles :P

You mean PR2, it is not going to be a mod.

Because the devs specifically said that there will not be one for BF3(for really obvious reasons, mostly EA d***chebaggery).

It's not a rumour, it's true. The developers (some of them, anyway) are already working on PR2 (what adadqgg's talking about), using a new engine (called C4).

With regard to the lack of a market, I can see where Marlowe's coming from, but I think there are a lot of fans of the original BF2 still around who have been crying out for the next 'proper' BF game. They often (but not always) are the people bad-mouthing the Bad Company games.

Personally, I think the BC series (especially BC2) did an excellent job of distilling down BF gameplay to consoles. BC2 is probably the best (modern) shooter I've ever played (I haven't played that many though :P).

That said, I'm still a massive fan of BF2 and can't wait to see what DICE pull off with BF3. Hopefully my new laptop will be able to play the PC version, at least on low settings...

What CKinnerley said about BF2 being a gamer's game was spot on.

If DICE make BF3 at all moddable, well, I think the communities are going to have a field day with Frostbite 2.

Imo, the current PR:bf2 is good.

They are stepping into the 128player territory(btw, has anyone tried that 128-player server?) and it seems like bf2 still has some life in it.

Also, if ARMA2 lets people change around all the attributes of the soldiers(such as running speed...etc.) then the modders could easily dumb-down Arma2 to make it "more" enjoyable for casual fps players...by that time Arma 2 will replace every fps game on the market.

I became interested in realistic games BECAUSE I played Bf2 and thought that it had much more thing to do than spray-and-pray(*cough*call of "duty*cough*).

Bf3 should be a decent game for console players, because their systems cannot run Arma 2.

I can't help buy find it funny, the idea that people would be able to easily run BF3 if they couldn't run ARMA II, because let's be honest, ARMA is god damn ugly. The the animations are all god awful (when they can be bothered to put in an animation that is: *suitcase*, gotta reload... I'll just drop my rifle below the bottom edge of the screen there, that'll save the devs a load of effort), I'm running it everything maximised and it simply fails to look nice in any way, it looks like something that should've been released in about 2004. Obviously the maps are mahoosive and there's other reasons it's so resource hungry, but it's a shame it lacks the polish you generally get with big name shooters.

An no, I'm not saying it's a bad game, just that it looks *suitcase*. Based on that first trailer, aesthetically BF3 has already wiped the floor, given it a polish and put away the mop.

It looks stunning, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed BF2 when it was first released (although I did find myself hankering for the less 'dumbed down' Desert Combat mod for BF1942).

However times really have moved on. To clarify what I stated earlier, COD occupies the fast-paced ADHD hormonal FPS slot for multiplayer player, and at the opposite extreme is ARMA2, which attempts to be as realistic as possible without alienating players (eg keeping vehicle controls accessible). I'm not sure if there's really sufficient middle-ground to really justify BF3.

That said BF3 is very pretty, and at the end of the day, that's what everyone buying a primarily multiplayer FPS usually seems to care about these days. :D

This is the thinking man's shooter.

That'll be full of hackers, dolphin divers (B*ST*RDS!!! JUST DIE ALREADY, NO IN REAL LIFE JUST DIEEEEEEEEE!!!) campers, griefers, tk'ers, jet whores (usually the same as the previous THREE 'you took my jet, DIE!'), halfwits who insist that EVERY game be played like CoD or HALO (god help us :( )etc.

I played bf2 to death and the levels of morons online increased exponentially with every passing month.

BUT, oh my god the joy of proper teamwork, ambushes, devious use of IEDS (yes drive past the innocent beeping bush in your big tank, muahahahahahaah :E, I still do that in BC2 :E ), the perfect joy of making the git in the J10 fly into the crane on Dalian Plant, these are memories I have and cherish of BF2 (not to mention the comedy AA missiles it had for a while, clear skies, clear LOS to target, good tone, FIRE!!! WTF where's it going! Oh *fruitcage* RUUUUUN! BOOOOOOOOOOM! Oh I killed a tree) :D

New videos up, including one gameplay video of one of the missions, go on the Battlefield blog for links.

Looks awesome, that mission feels really moody and tense, and the characters are just like an episode of Generation Kill. Seemed very authentic, I was torn between thinking it was an arcadey singleplayer like BC2 or a sim like ArmA, I hope they edge toward sim...

Another thing I liked, look carefully in the bottom right corner for the ammo counter, it read 31 before he started firing, meaning BF3 will simulate already chambered rounds if you reload before you're empty, good stuff!

On the anti-sim side, I was disappointed to see that his M4 was fully automatic, as far as I'm aware the US Marines only issue burst-fire guns to most guys...

There was also hardly any recoil and that slightly annoying 'bouncy' firing animation like in BC2, where the gun bounces about rather than recoiling sharply. Sorry, but for a lot of guns, CoD has BF beat with snappy-feeling guns.

The weapon also sounded a bit 'soft', I would expect a harder, sharper sound from an unsuppressed weapon.

Finally, what the hell was he doing to reload? For the love of god DICE, would it kill you to get an M4 reload right? Ever heard of the bolt release? Jeez. This annoys me, I don't think they've got it right in any of their FPSs.

EDIT: DAMMIT, ninja'd by riptide. Did we both check the BF blog at exactly the same time lol? :P

Sadly DICE has never been one for accurately portraying weapon firing and manipulation, which is a shame because it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb when you're playing, but then on the other hand some kind of animation is better than no animation.

Yes ARMA, I'm looking at you.

On the plus side though, I think there's going to be such a huge plethora of different guns that I'll forgive them. As for the firing modes, then unless the USMC is issuing M4s rather than M4A1s they're correct in having full-auto, don't think anyone uses the original weapon (which had burst) any more.

There was also hardly any recoil and that slightly annoying 'bouncy' firing animation like in BC2, where the gun bounces about rather than recoiling sharply. Sorry, but for a lot of guns, CoD has BF beat with snappy-feeling guns.

You mean like the AK74U (oh wait thats not a real gun its a beta spetz aeg) which has NO apparent recoil?

The weapon also sounded a bit 'soft', I would expect a harder, sharper sound from an unsuppressed weapon.

combats like really loud, so you'd go a bit deaf fairly quick

Finally, what the hell was he doing to reload? For the love of god DICE, would it kill you to get an M4 reload right? Ever heard of the bolt release?

ever hear of a mid mag reload?

T3CH, the reload animation is incorrect. It would work yes, but if you did that without fully emptying the magazine you'd be ejecting a perfectly good round on to the floor every time by racking the cocking handle on each mag change. For an empty mag with the bolt locked back it would function, but that's called 'power stroking' and most people just hit the bolt release catch, and I'd imagine real life USMC training doesn't generally teach the power stroke over hitting the catch.

I loved BF1942 but by BF2 found the game just a little too diluted to be a great deal of fun in standard form - the concept of having to hit someone 5-6 times in torso from a 10 meter range with 5.54 before they finally dropped was a bit...of a ':|' moment, no matter what defences (i.e. 'body armour') etc might say. I recognise that for an arcadey 'fun' sim, this is what many want though to make the game enjoyable.

Project Reality sorted this for me and made major improvements. It's a pity to hear there won't be a PR mod, but rather a whole different game. My concern with the PR game is that it will lack the huge budget DICE have for BF3 and might end up feeling a little like an overambitious mod, which, if I'm honest, is how I feel about ARMA2 quite often, as much as the Arnies regulars on the chatroom love the game.

The jury's out really for me. I think the more I hear about the level of destructible environments, the more interested I get - fingers crossed it takes innovation beyond just this and 'pretty graphics', as really the graphics arms race for FPS really died a death in the past few years since the like of Crysis hit the scene.

Not to knock this of course - I honestly hope its awesome as I can see it forming the base of many interesting mods / games if so. :)

5.54? :unsure:

I do think for BF2 the soldiers did need to be fairly tough, purely due to the sheer amount of lead flying around, that and with the time it took to cap a flag it'd have been very frustrating trying to make any progress through the CQB maps. It also extends firefights rather than someone winning with a single, lucky, first shot, so you get in to some good long engagements with both sides blatting away lots of rounds, which personally I find fun; and obviously more time shooting and less time spawning is a plus. But obviously everyone's got their preference, which is fine.

Ever get to the point on karkand where the US were on the far side of the river with the 3 MEC flags left on the other side, and it turned in to an almost 18th century battle with 32 players all lined up on either side? It almost always ended with stalemate and the US not getting across, but I always thought that was a cool scenario since I don't believe it was intended to happen by the devs. As with so many things in the game really, you throw that many people in to such huge areas of terrain with so many vehicles and the endless randomness that could potentially emerge was fantastic, particularly considering you tend to think of computer code as kind of 'set', cold and static, but then these weird things pop up every now and again that you've never seen before.

Exactly, that sort of thing, I wish I still had my screenshot collection from my 400 odd hours of playing to be honest there was all sorts in there. Especially related to clipping glitches and all the easter eggs. SF was amazing fun too, you could do all kinds of crazy *suitcase* I've never seen in any similar FPS with that grappling hook and the zip line.

Archived