Battlefield 3

TheFull9

Looks gorgeous, and seems like the writing and characters are gonna be pretty solid.

I was way less worried about being anal about the reload animation than I was about the guy with the full M16 with no rear sight or optic of any kind.

Oh and Kinn, there are still pleeeeenty of vanilla M4s out there.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, it sounds like they got HBO to cast the characters for voice overs. I'm hearing most of the Generation Kill actors in the first 30 seconds. It can be nothing other than delightful now.

All that's left to do is cross my fingers and hope for a Ray Person's rendition of Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boi".

Some sort of generic SF guys maybe? Everyone likes throwing 'teh leet forces!' in there now a days. Looks like a free floating rail, though the full stock is odd. Magpuls on there too, just a random spot.

Oh and Kinn, there are still pleeeeenty of vanilla M4s out there.

Had no idea, but you learn something new every day.

That breakdown seems to suggest that the soldiers have to buy their own optics...I know not everyone gets an ACOG but I thought they issued a few? The rear sight issue bugged ne slightly too.

Also T3CH, the 'AK74u' in CoD is in fact an incorrectly named AKS-74U, a perfectly real gun. And it definitely has recoil, especially with a red dot on. It also doesn't matter if the gun has recoil or not, all I was saying is that I think the guns in CoD feel snappier than in BC2 with their floaty firing animations.

Kinnerly, I was under the impression that the standard issue guns are the burst fire variants IE the M4 for the army and the M16A4 for the Marines. The only people that get M4A1s I thought were well trained special forces who have the discipline to use full auto properly. PR (the game) says this too, and they're usually right (they have military advisors serving and 'in the loop' in the US forces).

Trench warfare on Karkand was the best! Really epic battles.

Kinnerly, I was under the impression that the standard issue guns are the burst fire variants IE the M4 for the army and the M16A4 for the Marines. The only people that get M4A1s I thought were well trained special forces who have the discipline to use full auto properly. PR (the game) says this too, and they're usually right (they have military advisors serving and 'in the loop' in the US forces).

Well as sigma kindly corrected on, there are in fact still plenty of M4s(non-A1) around which have burst so I was wrong on that one, but you see marines with M4s and the US Army definitely uses the M16, it is the military's standard rifle end of the day. I don't imagine it's only units as high up as Delta and Seals that get full-auto, because hell I get full auto when I'm issued a weapon, but obviously I'm not the subject matter expert on here r.e. American guns.

Well as sigma kindly corrected on, there are in fact still plenty of M4s(non-A1) around which have burst so I was wrong on that one, but you see marines with M4s and the US Army definitely uses the M16, it is the military's standard rifle end of the day. I don't imagine it's only units as high up as Delta and Seals that get full-auto, because hell I get full auto when I'm issued a weapon, but obviously I'm not the subject matter expert on here r.e. American guns.

Yeah the PR developers managed to find pretty convincing evidence (they don't change anything just cos one guy said so lol) that the Army are issued pretty much only the M4 and the Marines are all issued the M16A4, except squad leaders who get the M4.

Obviously, the situation on the ground is usually different to what the theory says it should be, so a mix of guns is probably more authentic than everyone usually exactly the correct gear, a la PR :)

Sorry Stuey T3CH has a point re the AK...

Note the made up TM foregrip and incorrect stock.

Oh yeah, my bad, wasn't looking closely enough, tbh I wasn't really talking about that I was discussing the animations....can't even remember why that particular gun came up, that's just the tip of the iceberg if we're on about CoD inaccuracies :D

Doesn't matter if the M4's are A1 or not, there's still going to be half the team picking sniper kits and sitting on top of something far, far in the back just racking up kill counts and not going for objectives...

I still love the BF series, now I'm just trying out all the different weapons and combos in BC2.

Doesn't matter if the M4's are A1 or not, there's still going to be half the team picking sniper kits and sitting on top of something far, far in the back just racking up kill counts and not going for objectives...

I haven't noticed that so much in BC2 the levels tend to be designed to discourage it, granted, I do it, but I don't use a sniper kit :P NS2000 and magnum ammo ftw

That definitely didn't happen in BF2, snipers were rare in my experience, it was far too tricky to get large amounts of points with them since they had no support abilities/kit and a weapon that took patience and practice to use effectively. Back when 2 came out the whole persistent-ranking-in-FPSs thing was pretty much just kicking off, it was the first game I played that had it, and everyone was playing medic to rack up the scores. Whether it happens again will depend on a few things like the kit that the new Sniper/SF class gets, I don't see it being that different to BC2 since there'll be 4 classes again but you never know.

Good point, in BF2 understanding bullet drop and velocity played a big part in actually being able to snipe effectively. At long range you need to be very skilled, as most people aren't they sit around vehicle spawn points til something they like appears. Most things in BF2 took quite a lot of skill come to think of it. I bought a joystick to try to get better at flying the jets but I was still rubbish :(

I haven't noticed that so much in BC2 the levels tend to be designed to discourage it, granted, I do it, but I don't use a sniper kit :P NS2000 and magnum ammo ftw

Try playing a map like Heavy Metal. The majority of players are either tanks, helos, or snipers. I do like to counter using an 870 with slug (a bit OP on the range and accuracy). Also the CG is a GREAT counter sniper weapon.

It really annoys me when it's MY team that's half sniper and doesn't do anything to actually HELP the team.

That definitely didn't happen in BF2, snipers were rare in my experience, it was far too tricky to get large amounts of points with them since they had no support abilities/kit and a weapon that took patience and practice to use effectively. Back when 2 came out the whole persistent-ranking-in-FPSs thing was pretty much just kicking off, it was the first game I played that had it, and everyone was playing medic to rack up the scores. Whether it happens again will depend on a few things like the kit that the new Sniper/SF class gets, I don't see it being that different to BC2 since there'll be 4 classes again but you never know.

No, it didn't happen in BF2 at first, but once people started unlocking the .50, then it was camptown. I don't mean EVERYONE is a useless sniper, but it does happen way too much. Thank god for servers that limit that stuff.

BF3 looks really promising. I never held out much hope for developers to 100% capture firearms performance and functions, but as long as the rest of the game play works great, I can settle for not using a bolt release.

Well, other than the fact it could shoot through aircraft canopies the M95 was exactly the same as the M24 stats wise so I never saw an increase in camping sniper players myself, but obviously your mileage may vary. US servers were always quite different to EU ones I found on the odd occasion I joined one across the pond.

It was a lot worse when the game first released. If they hadn't patched it and seriously reduced the requirements I don't think anyone would've reached the top rank yet, they were actually that ridiculous.

That said, a lot of the ranks and awards were set far too high for the vast majority of players, BC2 did it much better. The vehicle medals in particular in BF2 were mental, it was hard enough to get in a tank or aircraft at all, let alone clock hundreds of bloody hours in them.

Bad Company also introduced more modularity to the weapons such as RDS, Scopes and other 'perks', something sorely missing from BF2, so I hope they continue that into the new instalment. I ain't talking gun-ho nonsense though, just the ability to adjust my role to fit the situation in regards to optics and accessories. I don't need dramatic sound effects and music upon acquisition of said items either, I'll be happy just so long as they quietly appear in my virtual kit trunk, ready for the next mission.

That said, one of my favourite weapons from a range of games would be the US Spec Forces M4 from BF2. It was a beauty to behold, complete with rubber band to retain the lens covers on the red-dot sight. Also, it was at a time when we were all just moving away from Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, neither of which displayed an on-screen weapon, just a slowly adjusting reticule.

edit: I really should proof read these things better before posting.

Since the game is set in 2014 I'm willing to give it a pass on the whole M4/M4A1 issue. The Army, at least, is currently saying they're going to start issuing A1s to everyone.

Ah good point, that makes me more able to live with it :)

Good point, in BF2 understanding bullet drop and velocity played a big part in actually being able to snipe effectively. At long range you need to be very skilled, as most people aren't they sit around vehicle spawn points til something they like appears. Most things in BF2 took quite a lot of skill come to think of it. I bought a joystick to try to get better at flying the jets but I was still rubbish :(

There was no bullet drop in BF2 :P but agreed about the skill needed - aircraft, whilst perhaps overpowered, needed some skill to use properly, I was always terrible too.

Bad Company also introduced more modularity to the weapons such as RDS, Scopes and other 'perks', something sorely missing from BF2, so I hope they continue that into the new instalment. I ain't talking gun-ho nonsense though, just the ability to adjust my role to fit the situation in regards to optics and accessories. I don't need dramatic sound effects and music upon acquisition of said items either, I'll be happy just so long as they quietly appear in my virtual kit trunk, ready for the next mission.

That said, one of my favourite weapons from a range of games would be the US Spec Forces M4 from BF2. It was a beauty to behold, complete with rubber band to retain the lens covers on the red-dot sight. Also, it was at a time when we were all just moving away from Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon, neither of which displayed an on-screen weapon, just a slowly adjusting reticule.

edit: I really should proof read these things better before posting.

I don't know, one of the things I liked about the old BF games is the lack of perks, it makes multiplayer really hard to balance. I liked the fact that you chose a kit and you got the equipement that you got and had to use it. However, that said, some customisability is good too, as long as it's done in a believable and balanced way.

I got quite good at flying choppers in BF2/PR. I loved PR because in that game it is totally acceptable to be nothing more than a Blackhawk pilot, ferrying troops back and forth. For whatever reason I got my biggest kicks in that game doing just that, never touching a gun. Nothing more fun than coming in and extracting a squad under heavy fire and (barely) making it out intact.

Archived