Laser Cut Mag Shims - KSC/KWA P226r, USP Series, Glock Series - TM P226r, Hi-Capa, M1911A1, MEU, Detonics, PX4, Mk23

Rob15

Here are a few more products from Lees Precision Engineering.

LaserCutMagShims.jpg

LPE Magazine shims are one of the simplest and cheapest upgrades available for 'gas in mag' guns on the market today. Magazine shims are placed under the gas router on the top of GBB & NBB magazines to push the rubber seal up so it forms a better seal with the loading nozzle which can give some of the following improvements in performance :-

* Better gas efficiency

* Improved shot-to-shot fps consistency

* Increase in power/fps

Installation is generally very easy and reversible requiring no modifications to the gun or magazines, in most cases only requiring the feed lips removing and a single shim being placed under the gas router. Please note that more pressure on the feed lips will be required in some cases to reinstall retaining pins and care should be taken not to damage the pins or feed lips themselves.

Laser cut in the United Kingdom from engineering grade plastics.

Currently available for the KSC/KWA P226r, USP Series, Glock Series GBBs, the Tokyo Marui P226r, Hi-Capa, M1911A1, MEU, Detonics, PX4 and Mk23 fixed slide with more versions available very soon.

Price per pack of 4 shims is £3.60

Available from here with worldwide shipping available.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can always make your own, in any case here's how you install them:

Here we go, pictures speak a thousand words:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41905/IMG_5277.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41905/IMG_5278.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41905/IMG_5279.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41905/IMG_5280.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41905/IMG_5281.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41905/IMG_5282.JPG

That's just a very small piece of card, probably .5mm thick, cut from a shoebox. I didn't do any tests before and after for the full size USP magazines, as I modified them almost immediately, although when I received an unmodified mag with my 2nd USP I compared it with the modded mags briefly, there was a noticeable difference to kick. I don't have a chrono so I didn't have a chance to compare readings. They currently both chrono 320fps average.

The USPc went from 290fps average before to 330fps after, (I skirmished it many times before doing the mod, so know the before and after FPS) with the consistency also improved. Gas efficiency went from 2 mags to 3 mags +, Kick was greatly improved, a bit of trim on the slide came off after a few shots and had to be super glued back on.

Please don't post stupid-size images again. Especially if your previous post was removed for that very reason.

Interesting. If you could do Desert Eagle and 5.7 ones that would be exellent!

PX4 please!

TM M9 and KWA NS2 USP please.

the TM M9 needs the *suitcase* out of these.

The TM GBB series is high up on the list of versions I want to do so hopefully you'll see those soon, possibly very soon if I find that they're cross compatible with the shims I'll be doing within the next week for the TM P226r & Hi-Capa.

KWA Mark Series 1911 and TM Mk.23

TM Mk23 shims are already on the cards, initial measurements suggest I should be able to make them cross-compatible with the shims for the P226r & Hi-Capa mags so watch this space ;)

You can always make your own, in any case here's how you install them:

You can but making shims consistently that are so small isn't a particually easy task, I tried to make my prototypes by hand from a plastic shim sheet and in the end I gave up and just did a program for the laser cutter because some of the ones I prototyped were so fine (around 0.8mm wide) around the edges.

In addition to that I'd not consider cardboard a good material in the medium or long term as there is a good chance of absorbing silicone oil from the gas and starting to break down, the plastic I use is almost chemically inert, almost entirely insoluble and as such is likely to outlast the mags themselves.

As Horsem4n said, some people might like to buy them rather than attempt to make them, which if they do I will expand the range as much as is realistically possible and also use the profits to do R&D on other new and original products.

As a note, if you do want shims for other guns drop me a PM and I'll get a list going and try to prioritise which I do next, the only thing I ask is that you only request ones for guns you do own :)

Dont suppose you could do WE G39 ones? Couple of mine are leaking a touch from the top.

Chances are I can, although I'd really need to have a G39 mag in my hands to take apart and see if the shims would work with the design, it's on my list of mags to look at anyway ;)

How do you know if your mags would benefit from these shims?

Aren't gas routers 'held captive' anyway i.e. they can't be 'pushed' any higher?

:blink:

One way to tell if the shims might give any improvement is wobble in the slide and mag, if a locked in mag can move up and down a noticeable amount then there is a good chance that means it isn't making a tight seal against the loading nozzle, also if the slide has a lot of side-to-side and up-and-down movement (which my 6 year old KWA G19 does) then that is another potential sign of it.

In the case of my KWA G19 I got a small (around 5fps) increase with a modified prototype shim in the mag, the production ones will be a better fit and function better. Another example is my own KSC S7 P226 TW version fitted with a KSC metal aftermarket slide which while it doesn't have much play in the mag or slide did see performance benefits in my tests.

The P226r without a shim did the first shot at 317.4fps, the 10th shot was 292.1fps. With a shim the first shot was slightly lower at 309.8fps but the 10th shot was 303.2fps so the overall consistency across the 10 shots was much better.

On the note of the gas routers being held captive the answer is yes and no, in most mags they are held under the rear of the feed lip (Maruzen GBB SMG mags and the Tanio Koba USP .40 SD being the exceptions I know of) but the addition of a shim placed under them will force the exposed part of the router above the feed lip up. If you take the feed lip off a mag and push the rubber from underneath you'll see that it does move upwards, not by a big amount but enough to make a difference in most cases.

I've just knocked some half-assed ones up for my PX4 (I'm impatient) - I've found 15 odd FPS and the magazine lost about 10FPS over 24 shots at 1 second intervals as opposed to 25FPS.

As soon as these are available for a PX4 i'll be picking some up, if my cheapo not very well fitted ones can improve performance then i'd say laser cut precision made ones are a winner.

The P226r without a shim did the first shot at 317.4fps, the 10th shot was 292.1fps. With a shim the first shot was slightly lower at 309.8fps but the 10th shot was 303.2fps so the overall consistency across the 10 shots was much better.

Any other upgrades done on this test gun? Also, I'd be interested to see all 10 chrono readings with and without the shims. Might be interested in some for the TM P226. Thanks.

I've spent the day running the laser cutter and the shims to fit the Tokyo Marui P226r, Hi-Capa series and Mk23 fixed slide are available for sale on the website (The one shim is compatible with at least those 3 types of mags). Next week I will try to get the shims for the KSC Glock series into production pending having time and possibly source a few more mags for then if I can.

hwagan, good to hear you're getting improvements with them, I'll be very interested to see a PX4 mag since the newer TM GBBs appear to use the same basic design for the gas router in which case the shims I've done today might fit that as well, if I do find more than are compatible with any of the current range I'll post it up in here straight away :)

hwagan, good to hear you're getting improvements with them, I'll be very interested to see a PX4 mag since the newer TM GBBs appear to use the same basic design for the gas router in which case the shims I've done today might fit that as well, if I do find more than are compatible with any of the current range I'll post it up in here straight away :)

What with the fact buying a PX4 to make some shims probably isn't very profitable, i'm happy to send up one of my mags after this sunday's game for you to test/use for design purposes. Let me know if that's any help, the more aftermarket support for the PX4 the better!

This is an interesting idea. I've heard of people doing this with cardboard and the like before but such a rough mod didn't sound that great. These, on the other hand, look like a great little precision upgrade. When these are available for the TM Glock I'd like to get a set to test.

I'd also like to second the request for any/all chrono data available. It would be interesting to see what these are doing in different mags with different guns etc.

Archived