Prowin mags turning my Viper into a bolt action

Zmarre

I recently bought some Prowin 20rnd mags for my Viper XM177. Two out of six work flawless, the four others don't.

Problem is that the bolt only moves backwards for about 5mm while shooting, thus not beeing able to cock the hammer. If I rack the bolt manually, I can again shoot one bb but have to cock manually again.

Anyone has any clue what's causing this? All these mags look 100% identical to me, but some work while others don't.

My initial guess is that there is damage to the magazine packing which is preventing gas to properly flow into the nozzle (it's possible that the Pro-Win's are not designed for it where the magazine is sitting too low...I don't think that's the case as you mentioned some are working fine. I suggest using a chrono to make sure). I would swap the packing with one on the working magazine to see if that corrects the problem.

Yup. But it didn't make any difference.

And I just chronoed my gun to see if there's any difference in the mags power: all mags, working at semi auto or "bolt action", chrono 300FPS. I really don't understand.

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this thread because i experience similar problems with my Ino M16A4 2010 and 20rounds ProWin Mag. Was the problem fixed with switching to a stronger hammer spring? I though the valves were all the same if they are from the same company...

btw... i didn't have a replacement rubber so i filed it down until it didn't stick anymore ( about 1mm ). So my guess is really a weak hammer spring. Trying to get hold on a G&P 120% hammer spring, i doubt the RA 100% hammer spring will help or maybe the realsteel hammer spring will fit?

The 30 rounder worked flawlessly to my surprise even with the original rubber, no sticking or rubbing against it, giving my rifle a nice kick ( with 9mm buffer ). I tried it when realising the bolt via bolt catch while holding the bolt and moving it forward manually. It didn't get stuck as mentioned by others so hopefully i don't have to replace it.

Archived