Moi? Disturbing?

amateurstuntman

So, spetsnazdave87 recently said that I was a "resident highly disturbing character" in the now dead "merge the forums" thread:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=194082&view=findpost&p=2426296

Don't get me wrong, I love it but how does that come across?

Most of the people I work with think I'm either "a bit odd" or "*fruitcage* weird", I know I have a strange attitude to most things but how does that come across on here?

Do you feel that people's take on you is right?

Do you try to project a different personality on the forum or just blurt out whatever comes to mind?

Does it concern you that if a person was so inclined they could go back and re-read everything you have ever "said" and check for continuity of opinion?

I am fascinated by this, I can't pick up inflection in spoken English and I find that I get the same from reading a transcript of a conversation as I do from hearing it.

I type exactly as I speak and (although I have dabbled) I don't really use smiles do add emotional context.

Even the irritating things I do on here like occasionally correcting grammar I do in spoken English too.

So, the crux of this post is this: Why (in your opinion) do I come over as weird and does anyone else even worry about their on-line persona?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say so. I would say that most people's personalities are somewhat amplified on the Internet, my own for instance. I'm pretty quiet and generally scared of strangers IRL :lol: But once I get to know people I become more myself, on forums and things I tend to jump into it a bit quicker. Although that can mean I come off as a ignorant or occasionally a bit of a *rickroll* because you have to remember, people may not know you, your personality or your sense of humour.

This is actually a really interesting topic.

We basically identify outselves through a tiny little picture in the corner, our screen name and perhaps some content within our signatures.

Other than that it's often difficult to correctly convey thoughts/emotions etc through what we type in posts, also the strange issue of people creating an online persona - anybody remember 'The Badger', what ever happened to that dude?

I don't know, people always think of me as being, well, the guy that doesn't say much and lurks around and is kinda creepy....which..is what I do here.

I'm a lot quieter on my local boards than I used to be, I was actually rather outspoken a couple of years ago, but I've taken to keeping my mouth shut and it's kept me from having to wear tin foil hats and think people are out to get me...which, they still maybe but, meh, it works.

I wouldn't say so. I would say that most people's personalities are somewhat amplified on the Internet, my own for instance. I'm pretty quiet and generally scared of strangers IRL :lol: But once I get to know people I become more myself, on forums and things I tend to jump into it a bit quicker. Although that can mean I come off as a ignorant or occasionally a bit of a *rickroll* because you have to remember, people may not know you, your personality or your sense of humour.

Pretty much me aswell.

Though my boss does mockingly keep telling me to shut up :D (trying to get me to do the opposite and actualy speak).

I tend to be a lot more outspoken on the internet, but that's mostly because it would be around like-minded people (to a degree) or people who share the same hobbies.

I tend to be the quiet guy, always at the fringe of groups/connversations, while this can be a tad lonely, it does tend to give you a better insight into the people around you.

Ahh Stuntman I was kidding, weren't you and fireknife warned for flirting with each other a while back? :P Aside from that don't think you seem any weirder than anyone else on here... don't think I'm particularly normal myself!

I feel my screen name shows all: I am Asian, that is all you need to know about me. You can then draw conclusions from that fact :)

Do you also lurk under the surface dragging swimmers out to sea?

As for projecting personalities on the forum... online I'm quite sarcastic, can be argumentative and I'm a bit of a grammar nazi... offline I'm a writer with mild OCD, I'm very sarcastic and extremely argumentative. While I rarely argue with any malice or serious intent, I try to tone it down online because of the missing inflections Stuntman mentions... while I know I'M taking the p*ss, others might not. At the same time, like in real life I do find it difficult to let an argument lie.

People on here think I'm loud, brash and a bit boisterous, when in actuality I'm very loud, very brash and very boisterous.

And it's not at all surprising that you sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned me yet, I'm guessing that I'm lurking more than posting here. Although on other forums I'm known for dropping cluster f-bombs, especially when I get ###### off (example: post about Ubisoft's DRM comprising mostly of expletives and still making sense) and giving disturbing advice ("everything can be solved with a bit of logical thinking and a lot of brute force" or cheerfully suggesting violence and property damage as a solution to mundane problems).

We basically identify outselves through a tiny little picture in the corner, our screen name and perhaps some content within our signatures.

Shall we have a 'meet another Arnies member day' then? :D

Ahh Stuntman I was kidding, weren't you and fireknife warned for flirting with each other a while back?

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

But anyway i must admit that my forum personality is like me to a T. I am obseessed with 1911's but know they are just toys in a game, i am open and honest, i don't care if people have a go at me as that is what they think and i find that i try to match all opinions and often end things with the line 'each to there own'.

The only thing is that when you meet me in person i am just as likely to come up and say hello as i am to add to a conversation on here. I never truly understood that fear of meeting others unless you have a medical condition regarding it.

Plus my number one feature, i can find a worrying solution to everything. I think at least half of my posts contain innuendo on here. :P

*suitcase* when did Arnies become dating.co.uk?

And it's not at all surprising that you sound like Jeremy Clarkson.

Ouch that is harsh, in the modern UK that is like being called Hitler or Stalin. :D

'FireKnife'

I think internet forums are a potential downfall of many future politicians. Especially as a lot of people join forums in their middle teens when they tend to be going through their ideological streak and will be found espousing the values of Communism or Fascism.

Considering less than an hour ago we were discussing laser guided fannies on the UKSF thread...

Who the hell were you discussing that with lol?

Don't tell anyone but Guzzihero is secretly Gordon Brown...

That explains so much. :D

Seriously though, what happened to The Badger, that guy used to crack me up, which I find amuzing as he was like a 15 year old on his parents internet connection, what a lad.

Banned?

Along with Sledge, Kid Scotland and Belladonna i assume.

'FireKnife'

You can get banned for that? Never knew what Belladonna got banned for, she went while I was quite new on this forum.

I think she was a little too harsh on the opinions of others if i remember rightly, along with Sledge.

Though i think Sledge keeps trying to get back on here every now and then. :D

'FireKnife'

*suitcase* when did Arnies become dating.co.uk?

Hi,

Im Will, 19 from Essex.

I like long walks along the beach, lazy weekends and fine dining.

On a more serious note, as with lots modern media it is very difficult to determine peoples tone and sarcasm unless its overt.

Hi,

Im Will, 19 from Essex.

I like long walks along the beach, lazy weekends and fine dining.

Sounds.............interesting :D

On a more serious note, as with lots modern media it is very difficult to determine peoples tone and sarcasm unless its overt.

Unless you are Clarkson in which case you take everything they say with a 'yeah ok mate, back to the asylum / cupboard you go'.

'FireKnife'

Archived