WE 1911 Pistols... A little TM PX4 Storm

bankz5152

Pistols? Which?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Would would you get based on below?

• TM PX4 Storm + 2 Mags
    • WE 1911/MEU + 4 Mags

Hello,

Been looking for a new more reliable, slightly better performing side arm.

Current is a TM 5.7 though when trying to double tap or randomly the slide jams and I have to give the slide a smack so it returns to battery, kind of annoying when trying to shoot more than 1 person. Cant solve the issue either...

So I was looking into the PX4 Storm (new) as its TM I know it will be good, though the low FPS (260fps warm) puts off off a little. Though it being new for the Gun + mags etc it will cost about £200 ish..

Though I could get a near new WE 1911 (second hand) with x4 mags for £150.

Question is will it be reliable, powerful, accuracy, decent pistol range?

Also has the nice add on of the AABB Carbine kit if I like :D.

Essentially which is better value for money, more reliable, better fps etc the normal mumbo jumbo.

Cheers Guys.

EDIT:

TM PX4 Storm + 2 mags & Tightbore - £180.00 Shipped

WE 1911 (Punisher) + 4 Mags - £150.00 Shipped

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was looking into the PX4 Storm (new) as its TM I know it will be good, though the low FPS (260fps warm) puts off off a little. Though it being new for the Gun + mags etc it will cost about £200 ish..

Though I could get a near new WE 1911 (second hand) with x4 mags for £150.

Question is will it be reliable, powerful, accuracy, decent pistol range?

I'm currently sitting here fondling my PX4. I haven't stopped doing that since i received it on the 4th of January. I've also owned 5 WE 1911's, and close friends bring that count up to about 10. So, pro's and cons, starting with the WE 1911.

Pro's:

Decent shooter - 320 odd FPS, with a decent hop. Single shot hits with .25's are possible at 40 metres.

Nice feel - The heft is pleasant, the noises it makes are good. The kick (in warm weather) is hella fun.

Cheap. Hence why i've owned 5.

Easily available.

Cons:

Pot metal, through and through. This leads to the following issues;

Even at room temperature, you won't get more than 18 rounds out of a mag. Anything below 20 degrees and it's sluggish and slow, and often doesn't lock back. You CAN NOT use this in winter. Don't even try, you'll be laughed at.

The mag fill valves are weird. Sometimes they'll take a full load, sometimes they'll only let half the gas in. Why? No idea.

The mag followers are beyond abysmal. They're made of glass, and as soon as they break, loading the mags becomes painful on the fingers and the slide will never lock. Replacements are available, but you'll go through at least 1 every skirmish. At least.

The outer barrel/chamber area has a habit of wearing down the inside of the slide - After a few thousand rounds, the outer barrel will start to jam on the slide due to wear. Once that happens, it's easier to replace the whole gun.

The mag floorplates are eventually pushed down by the feed spring - Looks rubbish, not a huge issue though.

Generally roughly put together - the finish just isn't high quality. Paint chips off SO easily. Nice for a worn look, mind.

Now, the PX4...

Pro's:

BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, it's the nicest looking and feeling thing TM have ever made. Rock solid - The polymer is amazing.

Heavy, even without the mag.

Rotating barrel is just cool.

Hop can be adjusted without removing the slide.

The range and accuracy is TM - As in, it'll sling a .25 to AEG ranges, more accurately than the WE.

It works in the winter - Mine was running 245 FPS at about 6 celsius, and fired off mags without issue as long as you didn't blat them out super quick.

24 rounds instead of 15. Plus they all count more.

Super reliable. I can't see this thing breaking without serious abuse.

Ergonomics are spot on - Slide catch couldn't be better placed.

Interchangeable backstraps are a lovely touch, and simple to swap. Fits my hand like a glove.

Markings aren't accurate - But TM have done a good job making them look it.

FPS might be 260, but shiming the mags (See Rob15 @LPE) will give you about 15-20 on top of that. Tightbore on the way, and it should poke 300.

Original, unusual, and new.

Fobus is available, and Serpa's i believe can be imported.

Con's:

Errrr...... I'll let you know if i find any.

Honestly, i can't think of anything dumber than choosing a WE 1911 over the PX4. The WE1911 isn't bad - In the summer. For a while. And it's cheap to replace. But seriously, the PX4 just beats it, over, and over, and over. So bad.

Thanks alot.

I was leaning toward the PX4 anyways.. Got a Umarex CX4 air rifle which I *fruitcage* love! So this is the airsoft equivalent.

Im liking polymer pistols more and more now as airsoft tech is evoloving more and more meaning better materials and better guns, noticed in the PX4.

Allways wanted an MEU/modern 1911 but love the look of the PX4.

Now youve said the FPS can be pushed to 300fps using a tightbore (was going to buy with the pistol) and the mag shims (looking into them for my other pistols) then im basically sold on the PX4.

Since the PX4 is A) TM and B) Polymer thats a winner combo, just like the 5.7, a winning combo.

As for shooting style, I double tap allways and move on, so no crazy firing :D

Whats the range like?

Thanks alot.

I was leaning toward the PX4 anyways.. Got a Umarex CX4 air rifle which I *fruitcage* love! So this is the airsoft equivalent.

Im liking polymer pistols more and more now as airsoft tech is evoloving more and more meaning better materials and better guns, noticed in the PX4.

Allways wanted an MEU/modern 1911 but love the look of the PX4.

Now youve said the FPS can be pushed to 300fps using a tightbore (was going to buy with the pistol) and the mag shims (looking into them for my other pistols) then im basically sold on the PX4.

Since the PX4 is A) TM and B) Polymer thats a winner combo, just like the 5.7, a winning combo.

As for shooting style, I double tap allways and move on, so no crazy firing :D

Whats the range like?

It's definitely a good plan - It'll also take a Nineball rubber; With that, tightbore and mag shims, 300+ is definitely achievable.

Double tap wise as well, the trigger pull is lovely - in single action mode it's very, very short. It's also really solid - Nothing rattles pretty much, really crisp action as well.

As for range - Crazy. It matches my 350FPS AR's, with a similar level of accuracy on .25's - TM style, really, it'll go for miles, and it'll definitely outdo the WE.

I really like the PX4 - it's comfy as hell and performs fantastically...

But in my massive gorilla articulated brick assemblies which I have in lieu of hands, it feels a tiny bit too small.

That being said, I'm sure I'll have a lapse and ignore my screaming wallet sometime and buy one anyway... sigh.

Hello,

Been looking for a new more reliable, slightly better performing side arm.

Current is a TM 5.7 though when trying to double tap or randomly the slide jams and I have to give the slide a smack so it returns to battery, kind of annoying when trying to shoot more than 1 person. Cant solve the issue either...

So I was looking into the PX4 Storm (new) as its TM I know it will be good...

Sorry but I'm confused by this, you're having problems with your TM, but want to buy another TM because you know it'll be great?

ive got the tm px4 custom and its called custom not storm due to copyright but it is one hell of a gun and so far as said above the best tm ive owned. quality is second to none and since its still rare at moment people will stop and stare when you take it to your next shoot if you get one

Thanks guys. I did fancy a smaller side arm, as my regulars are a 6" Desert Eagle, 5.7, both chunky.

Looks like im buying the PX4!

Nineball rubber? Any? Dont suppose you could link me...

www.eliteshootingcentre.co.uk - Check under gas pistol parts, i'm not sure of other UK stockists - They improve accuracy, consistency and can give a little FPS boost in pretty much any TM pistol.

Sorry but I'm confused by this, you're having problems with your TM, but want to buy another TM because you know it'll be great?

The 5-7 has a known flaw with the outer barrel under green gas use if i recall correctly? I'm sure i've read something about it in the review thread. So far my PX4 is showing no significant/concerning wear on any part after 1200 rounds or so, even the slide lock notch is unmarked.

Yes becuase ive owned about 15 - 20 TM pistols that Ive never had trouble with, ever. My Desert Eagle is 6 years old with about 10K rounds through now with ZERO faults or problems. My other DE is about 4 years old with 5K through again with ZERO trouble.

Its my fault on the slide jamming as im using it on Propane, cant stand 134a.

Thanks alot hwagan!

has anyone tried running the px4 with green gas?

It's built for it, to be honest. Mine is 1200 rounds in using green gas, it's kicking 280ish FPS (after shimming the mag valves), and no significant signs of wear on it. As Ryan's said, it runs like a champ on green.

I'd love a px4 ,but I just can't justify it atm because I've put so much into my 226 setup :( .Wouldn't even look at any WE over a px4

I'm not writing off the WE colts entirely; They do have there plus sides. In the summer they're great fun and run like a train as well as shooting straight and level for AEG ranges. Problem is, they're useless in anything less than 20 celsius, and the mags are weak. Saying that, they're cheap enough to buy one every summer.

Still though, TM's ###### all over anything WE time and time again - The only reason to buy a WE is if you want a cheap, exclusively warm weather, hefty feeling full metal colt. Other than that they're obsolete really.

Archived