post-69020-0-59587500-1299664579_thumb.jpgpost-69020-0-43754700-1299662583_thumb.jpgThe Cyma RPK 74

The newest release from Cyma the RPK 74

post-69020-0-93638000-1299662615_thumb.jpg

The Cyma RPK has been a long time in the making, designed and manufactured from the ground up as an RPK 74, Cyma did not go the normal route that some manufacturers had chosen in the past by just modifying a standard AK.

Full metal and wood with a unique bolt carrier not normally found on airsoft guns that is both very strong and smooth to operate.

Another feature the gun has not normally found on other AK airsoft guns is the rear sight has both windage and elevation adjustment via a unique adjuster and is finished of with some nice adjustment markings.

Comes as standard with a 1000 rd magazine, solid stable bipod and 74 flash hider

If you are looking for an RPK 74 then this airsoft gun will make a nice addition to any AK enthusiasts collection. courtesy of action hobbies.

now onto the rieview

Ware to buy and price

The only retailer i know that stocks the gun at the moment is action hobbies

http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Cyma-RPK-74-Metal-Body-Wood-Airsoft-Gun_AWKVY.aspx

and the price is £259.99 so basically £250 but a good £250 pounds well spent

What you get in the box:

the box itself is just a plain cardboard box

but inside the box you get the gun itself a banana mag and a special battery (we will cover that later) made specially to fit the RPK 74 stock and a EU pin charger

the gun itself is in a foam cut-out .

Weapon spec copied from action hobbies:

Tested ROFApprox 800 rpmConstructionSteel + Alloy + WoodVelocity410 fps +/- 5%Fire ModesSafety + Full Auto + Semi AutoBattery8.4v Mini (Not Included)Magazine1000rd IncludedHop-upAdjustableLength1075mmSightsAdjustable

post-69020-0-59587500-1299664579_thumb.jpg

Performance in the field: i found the RPK 74 performed very well in the field it had very good range due to long barrel but it was very annoying while trying to turn inside a building due to the long barrel. i found the rof was ok but I am probaly going to stick a 8.4 lipo in it. I found it works very well as a support gun and also as a dmr as it can do semi and it has a good range on it. post-69020-0-93638000-1299662615_thumb.jpg

externals:

I found the build quality on the Cyma RPK 74 is very nice the wood kit on it. the bolt carrier is the same design as the real steal and has a nice klunk when you pull it back though it was a bit stiff at first. the metal body is made of steel and alloy making it nice and robust. the safety on the gun is the same design as on other aks/ rpk series but I did find if you had it on semi and your battery was low on power the gun would sometimes do full auto.

overall:

overall I think this gun is one of my favourite support guns out there it is light weight and has a nice rate of fire and can also be used as a dmr (designated marksman rifle) due to it being able to do semi and it has a very good range for an aeg probably due to long barrel i have not looked inside it yet due to my lack of understanding on how to disassemble an ak yeah I know but i have found a few flaws with this gun when you are using semi it will start to do full auto for some reason i think it was due to low battery at the time. that's all for now i will post up some more pics and details of the internals when im off crutches so about two weeks.

Best wishes SgtJamie

post-69020-0-80992500-1299662571_thumb.jpg

post-69020-0-43754700-1299662583_thumb.jpg

post-69020-0-57635100-1299662591_thumb.jpg

post-69020-0-91838200-1299662599_thumb.jpg

post-69020-0-93638000-1299662615_thumb.jpg

post-69020-0-59587500-1299664579_thumb.jpg

a very good, in depth review.

I liked how the RoF, FPS, etc was given, but would it be possible if any photos of the internals were taken, and a review of all the parts; such as gear box stability etc, and could you put photos of the inside of the stock where the battery goes? It would be interesting to see how exactly how the battery sits- to see if theres space, possibly for a large battery...?

Thanks,

Wes

• 3 months later...

The only problem I've had with mine is the rear sight block broke so it no longer holds the leaf spring. Seems like a common problem with the CYMA AKs since they use pot metal for the RSB. I'm going to try to pin mine in place this weekend, other than that I'll have to try to find another RSB that will fit.

• 2 weeks later...

mine seems to have some side to side play where the barrel connects to the reciever. Ive had to pad it out with some paper, its better but still annoying. Anyone else noticed this in theirs?

I had the same problem, but using 5KU hopup chamber or similar which is screwed to the gearbox made the gun very solid.

I bought mine two years ago from http://www.taiwangun.com/machinerifles_aeg/cm_051_cm-1639.html

I'm running it with 2100mAh 11.1V LiPO. http://www.verticalhobby.com/kauppa/2100-mah-30c-3s1p-111-v-5c-charge-p-1711.html

A LiPO that is shorter than 100mm fits in the stock

Out of interest, after two years is your bipod still intact?

• 1 month later...

You wrote "8.4 lipo"...

Also, I highly recommend replacing the part that connects the bipod to the barrel, it is potmetal and will break by simply leaving your gun tilted on the bipod(as it happened many times to many people; including to myself at Operation EastWind IV).

Edited by adadqgg
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You wrote "8.4 lipo"...

Also, I highly recommend replacing the part that connects the bipod to the barrel, it is potmetal and will break by simply leaving your gun tilted on the bipod(as it happened many times to many people; including to myself at Operation EastWind IV).

replacing with what? original parts?

thx lance

replacing with what? original parts?

thx lance

Real steel bipod or even LCT bipod part can both work.

The problem is finding that part by itself without the bipod.

Anyway, if it is not broken(yet), there is no need to fix it immediately.

CYMA really should have made that part out of cast steel, but it seemed like they tried too hard at cutting cost. Hopefully they see this problem and revise their build.

One other thing worries me, the mag compatibilty of the gun. I own a cyma AKM (CM 048M) which is very picky even with the CM-Mags I bought. I don't like usual Highcaps so the question is, will the MAG Mid Caps for RPK74 fit end feet and what about the cyma AK electrical drum mags?

And are there any adivces for the internals beyond reshimming and changing the hop up rubber?

Thx Lance

BTW. at gunfire.pl is this thing at sale for a very low price in my opinion...

Do you now any source for a real steel bipod kit? Don't like the thought of a fast broken bipod when going prone...

Lance

No, that is why I think it is a problem.

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1614

This should work.

Also, it is not fast-broken; it is Quick Detach. XD

Do you now any source for a real steel bipod kit? Don't like the thought of a fast broken bipod when going prone...

Lance

No, that is why I think it is a problem.

http://www.airsoftparts.ca/store2/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1614

This should work.

Also, it is not fast-broken; it is Quick Detach. XD

One other thing worries me, the mag compatibilty of the gun. I own a cyma AKM (CM 048M) which is very picky even with the CM-Mags I bought. I don't like usual Highcaps so the question is, will the MAG Mid Caps for RPK74 fit end feet and what about the cyma AK electrical drum mags?

And are there any adivces for the internals beyond reshimming and changing the hop up rubber?

Thx Lance

BTW. at gunfire.pl is this thing at sale for a very low price in my opinion...

It is a support weapon(even though it is not nearly as effective as the PKM) so you should be using hi-caps.

But MAG midcaps does not fit very solidly(well, some may; they have vastly different dimensions depending on the batch due to overuse of the molds).

Quote from a RedAlliance member:

The MAG midcaps work good but have a bad wobble to it. Used the tap trick and it did not feed well and I even tried modding the magazine but found out it is pointless.
Edited by adadqgg