AK & Variants Picture Thread

You'd think people would be happier that others are finding ways to adapt and modernize a 60-year-old design for continued service, rather than abandoning it altogether. Says something about the quality of the original core design, even if it's been proven problematic from human design perspectives.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

It should fit, Redwolf lists the G&G PBS-1 as 14mm with an anticlockwise adapter, so it should do both clock and anticlockwise. LCT barrels (the actual barrel thread, not the larger adapter piece) should be 14mm, you can test that with any other airsoft flash hider you have kicking around.

But LCt's thread aren't 14mm. At least my AK104 is not 14.

I've mailed WGC, waiting for their answer...

Changing the front sight won't do anything if there aren't 14mm threads under the current piece since the 14mm threads are always cut into the barrel, not part of the FSB. Take the front sight block off and see if there are 14mm threads under it. If there are, you can just cut off the 24mm threaded part of the LCT FSB. If there aren't, you'll need to find someone who can thread the barrel.

A FSB with 14mm- threads could just be installed in place of the original FSB.

Here's an LCT one on WGC, bit pricey though...

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/product_detail1.php?search_From=searchItem&item=LCT-PK-18&search=special&rs=ak%20front%20sight&catid=&cat=

lct_pk_18_m.jpg

Edited by DanHS

302529_518085506680_134900011_30445609_928786660_n.jpg

Not exactly airsoft but for the sake of argument and explaining why I did what I did and what I plan to do with an airsoft clone of my RS build.

I wanted a front mounted T-1 because it sits low enough for either lower 1/3 co-witness or non co-witness sighting with my iron sights. I put a Midwest rail so my said T-1 would sit at the right height. If I used a side mounted rail I wouldn't be able to achieve a proper cheekweld or get any kind of co-witness sighting which I think is bad for any gun. I put a grip because it helps me manipulate my rifle better and manage with heating issues that come up with an AK. I put a flashlight simply for illumination and blinding people. Lastly, and not trying to troll... if you're complaining about how heavy 9-11 pounds is then you really need to hit the gym. Airsoft or not, the same human factors carries over to both.

• Like 2

This.

Why people go to such length to install extra metal onto the front/top of the rifle and then install optics for extra weight is beyond comprehension.

When they could simply use a siderail-mounted optics or even a adaptor while leaving the 20mm rail on top of the handguard for their 'necessary' PEQ boxes, thus leaving the sides of the handguard for even more flash light/l4z0r combo and finaly get another flashlight/vertical grip combo on the bottom rail... While they are at it, they can also paint some red tigerstripe onto the rifle(but not the accesories, since those will be vastly more expensive than the rifle itself). :rolleyes:

once upon a time i thought like you :rolleyes:

i still have a hatred for the ultimAK + EOtech combo, if only because it looks ridiculous and doesnt fit with the lines of the gun. but come on, the siderail isn't the lightest, most balanced or even best looking optic mounting system. what's wrong with the likes of the larue irondot? it's far simpler, lighter, more balanced, more out of the way and better looking than side mounted optics.

it's an AK, a mass produced weapon of war. it's not a rare classic, putting a more modern optics solution on an AK is not like putting a massive rear wing on an aston DB5.

Personally, I think that while upgraded optics mounted on an ultimak (like a T1) is a must on an efficient AK, weight management is equally important, so an AK100 series(7.62) is the perfect all around AK.

So, raped AK? yes, slightly, better than a classic AK? yes, of course, so leave aside the tacticool AK hatred and embrace the efficiency way of the AK :lol:

Just to really drive the point home:

When real Russian (and Ukrainian, etc) soldiers are using front-mounted optics by choice, the phony Russian/communist airsofters should probably keep their mouths shut.

It's one thing to have an aesthetic preference, but it's another to get dogmatic and assume a bizarre fake persona from a country you don't live in.

• Like 9

When real Russian (and Ukrainian, etc) soldiers are using front-mounted optics by choice, the phony Russian/communist airsofters should probably keep their mouths shut.

It's one thing to have an aesthetic preference, but it's another to get dogmatic and assume a bizarre fake persona from a country you don't live in.

Amen!

Its airsoft if people fancy wood AKs its ok to use them they dont need all those "advantages" like lazors, reddots - it wont get them killed.

Otherwise if anyone likes making AKs "better" more power to them.

Its really funny seeing this debate in the AK thread every now and then.

Edited by Scharf

It is amusing, this is airsoft, looks are 90% of why you choose your guns and gear.

The siderail mounts do have the benefit of keeping the weight centered so the gun does not feel too muzzle or butt heavy, but they are always much heavier than something like an UltimAK, IronDot, MI Mini dot mount, etc. Siderail mounts have their place when you want to do an authentic looking Soviet/Russian loadout or gun, but when you're going for a more practical and efficient setup, this modern stuff sells well for a reason. A Kobra optic is cool, but a small aluminum mount and a micro dot weighs less and is much more streamlined. The weight of an aluminum UltimAK knockoff with a replica T-1 on it is so nominal you can't even feel the difference, and it's way smaller and out of the way. That said, I like PSOP scopes and kinda prefer them for putting a scope on an AK, as Weaver mounts and scope rings get a bit bulky, and always looked weird to me. Rail systems I was never a fan of to begin with, they have their place for mounting forward grips, lights, and other useful accessories. I personally manage to make do without those things, so I don't need them, and wouldn't appreciate the added weight up front, though a simple aluminum rail system with just a vertical grip and red dot really doesn't add much weight.

Edited by DanHS

Personally I prefer the classic AK look. That being said some of the modernized AKs look fairly cool. Ultimately I'm just happy more people are using AKs as it means you can share magazines and retailers offer more AKs and their relevant accessories.

Edited by howitzer
  • Like 1

Don't forget that airsoft is basically gun LARP and prom night for men rolled into one.

Personally, I like my AK47s classic and my AK74s as practical tools loaded up with whatever is needed (probably due to my unconcious preconception that 47/Ms are the only classic AK to be preserved as such) but I'd never begrudge anybody doing whatever they like with their gun.

I'm surprised there's so many Mag-Ks though, normally picture threads like this are the polar opposite.

Too much noise, not enough pictures. Here's a family photo:

IMG_0475.jpg

Bottom left: CYMA CM.028/UTG Warhawk, my CQB gun. Bought on ebay with broken stock and no selector lever for $18. Now has tuned up gearbox with PDI 120% spring (310fps), cut down barrel, TM M16 flash hider, filled in hole from stock hinge and modified receiver to fit CYMA AKM style grip, painted with Rustoleum satin black. Need to get some real wood for it. Runs a 1300mah 7.4 LiPo with a basic Mosfet, smooth and makes a great CQB gun, never sees auto, CQB field rules are semi-only anyway.

Bottom right: Loaner gun, built from the remnants of a broken Echo1 CM.042 A friend gave me, using a JG Beta Spetz RSB, top cover, selector, pistol grip, and muzzle. Outer barrel, FSB, handguard caps, inner barrel, motor, gearbox shell and gears from Echo1 CPM/CM.035, modified wood handguards from DBoys AKSU, and Mosfet that had been in my AKSU. I took all the guts from the CM.02b gearbox it had and put them in my AKSU's CM.02 gearbox with the still shimmed gears, cleaned everything up and put on a new o-ring, runs smooth, shoots 400fps, and has very loud report for some reason.

Top right: another loaner gun, gearbox, inner barrel+hopup, FSB and outer barrel came from my JG Beta Spetz, receiver, RSB, and pistol grip are from Echo1 CPM/CM.035, SRC lower handguard and custom upper handguard, Polish AKM brake. Shoots 370 and I've never touched the gearbox because it runs so well and is pretty accurate, only switched to Deans and a 1300mah 7.4v LiPo.

Center: My beloved AKSU, STALKER style. Receiver and front end are DBoys, handguards are OD painted Echo1 CPM, pistol grip is LCT. Gearbox shell is CM.02b with bearing bushings + Echo1 motor from CM.042, KWA gears, Hurricane spring guide, cylinder head, and M120 spring (425fps), CA nozzle, H-nub, Systema bucking, Madbull 300mm barrel, Mosfet and G&P 9.6v stick battery. Runs beautifully and is really accurate, I use .4s and they just sail right along, and I almost never use auto. Probably my favorite gun.

2nd from top: CYMA CM.050A AIMS PMC, Romanian muzzle brake and lower handguard, LCT Bakelite grip, replica Aimpoint T-1. Inside is Guarder M130 (470fps), JG 14 metal tooth piston, type 1 Systema Energy cylinder, H-nub, Systema bucking, Madbull 455mm barrel, Mosfet and 11.1v 1300mah LiPo. Also really accurate and smooth, cycles super fast thanks to Mosfet, high grade wiring with Deans, and 25-50C 11.1v LiPo. Also almost never sees auto, ripped the back off a Systema piston when I tried it before anyway, hence the 14 metal tooth piston. With .4's I can outrange most other AEGs, it's almost like a DMR, which is fine for me because I don't shoot a whole lot anyway.

Top: CYMA CM.052 RPK 74. Newest family member, hasn't been skirmished yet. Externally nothing new besides the LCT brick red grip, hopefully the bipod holds up, otherwise I'll get a Romanian one. Internally, it has Guarder M140 spring (505fps), SHS lightweight 14 metal tooth piston, Bravo aluminum piston head, Guarder stainless cyl head, Super Shooter helical torque up gears, H-nub, Systema bucking, Madbull 650mm tightbore (notice a theme here? lol), Mosfet and deans, etc, etc. Right now it's running a custom 4/5A cell 9.6v NiMH because the Turnigy 2250mah LiPo I want that will fit in the stock, is out of stock (ironic, no?). Accurate and far shooting like the others, gearbox sounds weird though, not a whine but almost a rustling whirring sound, must be the China made helical gears, guess I'll see how they hold up. It does run smooth besides the weird noise though, and it fires bursts at exactly the ROF I was hoping for. This one of course, will be used in full auto, with the Mag RPK mags I'll be shooting 5 round bursts like the real thing is meant to, can't wait to use it in some attack and defend scenarios, thinking that a PSOP scope might be nice to help me see the bbs landing.

Edited by DanHS
  • Like 2