AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

Because a red-dot is universally accepted by professionals world-wide to be more effective when it's further forward?

Pretty sure that one of those chunk old side-mounts would make for a heavier overall package, especially since he's used that one rail for a light as well as his optic.

Because a red-dot is universally accepted by professionals world-wide to be more effective when it's further forward?

Pretty sure that one of those chunk old side-mounts would make for a heavier overall package, especially since he's used that one rail for a light as well as his optic.

Fact: Weight at the front is more wearing on the muscles than weight on the centre or the back of the gun. Not a matter of personal preference here.

There are side-mounts for the ak that weight 150 grams, the real Ultimak gas tube 450 grams, so the weight added is roughly the same (with the already mentioned difference in the position and how it affects balance).

A good side-mount let's you do a 1/3 co-witness too.

AK.jpg

If you set up your gun the way you want, you're literally reaching through your monitor and punching Mikhail Kalashnikov in the face. So do it the way I want (pictured above.)

(Tediously inevitable complaining aside, I like it as well. I'm assuming you're right-handed, with the way the flashlight's set up? I tried out a friend's - clone - scout light the other day; is there a way to make the rear button momentary? His was just on/off clicky.)

• Like 1

Yes I am right handed, though I could have put it on the other side if I had wanted to copy some tacticool operators. But I don't really like this kind of grip.

Anyway, this one is just on/off clicky as you said. But I can mount a deported switch which would turn it into a momentary light, instead of a constant one. This would allow me to mount the light on the right side.

Fact: Weight at the front is more wearing on the muscles than weight on the centre or the back of the gun. Not a matter of personal preference here.

There are side-mounts for the ak that weight 150 grams, the real Ultimak gas tube 450 grams, so the weight added is roughly the same (with the already mentioned difference in the position and how it affects balance).

A good side-mount let's you do a 1/3 co-witness too.

Great, doesn't change anything with regards a red-dot being more effective further forward when it comes to faster target acquisition for basically everyone out there. I honestly find it hard to believe you're arguing the point with regards the weight being too far forward when we're discussing a tiny little docter red-dot of all things.

If you wanna keep your rifle 'pure' that's fine, but you and your ilk need to stop shoving your agenda down everyone else's throat while passing off your purist ideas as being the 'only' way to do things in terms of effectiveness. The veil over it all is so thin it's utterly transparent, and the fact you're unable to grasp the fact this is airsoft and none of it matters just makes it doubly silly. You ever see me (or any of the other guys that like modern stuff) telling someone with a wooden handguard that they're "doing it wrong"? Funny how it always goes one way...

Edited by CKinnerley

Great, doesn't change anything with regards a red-dot being more effective further forward when it comes to faster target acquisition for basically everyone out there. I honestly find it hard to believe you're arguing the point with regards the weight being too far forward when we're discussing a tiny little docter red-dot of all things.

And the fact that he's arguing the point with...well...an RAF armorer, who probably knows a wee bit about guns.

Edited by Leon Kennedy

They should change the name of this thread to Picture & arguments Thread.

Yeah, better contribute an AK picture myself eh? Been a long time (way back on page 1 in fact) since mine saw the light of day:

P1010392-1.jpg

Yes, it took me a lot of time and effort to deliberately build the heaviest, least effective and most inefficient AK I could possibly come up with, but there's something I just really like about the aesthetic...

And the fact that he's arguing the point with...well...an RAF armorer...

I personally wouldn't make claims that what I do for a profession really matters too much in airsoft, but as far as optics are concerned I think there's a lot of highly experienced professionals out there with more knowledge than me (or anyone else here as far as I know) who would likely say the same thing. For example...

l.jpg

http://youtu.be/_8UBjsVnpCA

And as long as it suits the one operating the gun, I guess it's ok.

Damn right.

Edited by CKinnerley

Basically it just weighs a ton and isn't comfortable to shoulder in the slightest.

I mean I can get an awesome extended-reach grip with a great C-clamp around the Noveske rail that wouldn't be possible with a standard AK handguard setup, but to be honest it's actually much too long. Especially when you take in to account the fact AK receiver is quite long in itself (compared to an AR at least) and you've got a mounting block at the base of the buffer tube which only makes the problem worse.

You could put a massive array or other barrels and handguards on there to make things lighter of course, since the forend is now entirely AR compatible on both those fronts. But I wanted the look of the 12" RIS with the 14.5" barrel and I doubt I'll ever skirmish it.

Edited by CKinnerley

If I need an opinion on the AK, I would ask Sonny wayyyyyy before asking Haley or Vickers:-) If he mounts the site up front, that means it should be up front. Sonny IS an AK:-)

On a side note, Mikhail was a pragmatist. He wouldn't have any issue with anything that made the rifle he designed more usable.

Edited by supervepr
  • Like 2

If it was me, I would build it into a DMR. It just foesn't have that assault rifle look. but it would be a sweet DMR.

I think the grip-pod and the ELCAN might be partially responsible for that in that particular picture, also the length of the RIS can be somewhat deceiving at first glance. As I say it's only a 14.5" barrel, but it's got the stock inner barrel in there so it's basically the same actual length as the AK-74 I started with, but the ~12.5" RIS can trick the eye a little bit sometimes. I've been asked before on other forums whether it was a full 20" M16 length.

Ckinnerley: that AK is still the most marvelous heresy I have ever seen, any chance for a 4" version?

Now I only have to look for the DVDs of that Sony guy, looks like he has some interesting moves... :)

Heh, I'll have a look around a few classifieds for one of those ultra-stubby front kits, the type that's usually attached to the last guns still showing as "In Stock" at a store when all the 10.5/14.5 rifles in the same line are Sold Out. Bound to be one going dead cheap just for the comedy value I reckon. Then again, if you've got a minute at some point try digging through the 'EA Custom' section on eHobby for the rifle I got the idea from, that's got a MOE handguard and a seriously weird gas block, even I think it looks mental.

Check out Sonny's channel on the 'Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gospelofviolence?feature=watch

One or two of the firearms techniques make my personal safety alarm go way off the chart, but that's Spetsnaz for you I guess, there's nothing to stop me (or anyone else) extracting the parts that I feel are appropriate and useful, as with any training/video. He's got a couple of his own DVDs out there along with that Pantaeo one, Systema martial arts and core strength training stuff, looks good from what I've seen thus far.

Edited by CKinnerley

Sonny is the real deal. He has been on a lot of History and Discovery channel shows demonstrating various Russian techniques of using the AK and just about anything else as a weapon. His resume and combat record is impressive to say the least. He used to teach in NC but I am not sure if he does that anymore.

I have always been amazed at the fluidness he shows when reloading or transitioning. I would love to have those skills! You can see in his eyes he falls into the "not to be fruitcaged with" category:-)

Edited by supervepr

IMO it takes longer to acquire a target that far up. How often are people using their long AR rails to get the optic past the receiver? I think it's usually at that point on the AK because for whatever reason the receiver scope mount thing just compromises more for the shooter. What those compromises are aside from the height of the optic? I'm not certain, you'd have to ask them. But I've tried mounting optics that far up and at a certain point it just takes longer to acquire a target. Time yourself if it worries you that much. As always YMMV unless you upset a purist. Then we all get the same mileage.

Annnnnd old AKM.

akm1.jpg

On the topic of red dots, I personally find that locating the red dot right above my forward grip suits me well, having it located right above my hand helps me acquire the proper line of sight through the optic quickly when bringing the gun up to my shoulder, and it helps me acquire my target faster.

IMG_0439.jpg

The little Aimpoint Micro replica and aluminum UltimAK replica weigh very little, so there is no significant weight added up front. For me, this gun handles and shoots great this way.

Edited by DanHS