AK & Variants Picture Thread

A couple quick pics:

My first attempt at Fakelite. Used a bright orange CYMA RPK hicap. I sanded it with a pattern I wanted to follow, then brushed on the Red Mahogany Minwax stain with a cheap 1.5" horsehair brush. As it started drying a bit, I dipped the very tip of the brush in the stain and carefully added a bit here and there, using the strokes to spread the stain slightly thicker or thinner in spots and adding some splotches. I let it dry for a few days, then brushed on Minwax stain+seal polyurethane using a foam brush. It doesn't look that much like the Russian Bakelite mags I've seen, but it has a definite Bakelite look. I only wish I knew it would have come out so cool, I'd have taken the mag apart first and done a better job at the top of the mag. I'm doing another orange hicap that came with a used CM.035, it should come out a bit better. Then I'm going to grab some Krylon Fusion pumpkin orange, and try a Fakelite grip.

IMG_0073.jpg

And the newest member of the family, the latest CYMA CM.045, I got it on sale from AirsoftGI, combined with a coupon code and free shipping, couldn't pass it up. When I ordered it, I thought to myself "I wish it came with a plum color polymer folding stock instead". Once I open it and pick up the manual, I see the CM.045B model has the polymer folding stock, but since the picture is black and white, and there's nothing anywhere online about it, there's no telling if it'll be plum or black until the model starts showing up on shelves. I'm going to get the polymer folding stock in plum if it does come out, and in black if it doesn't, and put on a KFH style flash hider, and have an SLR106UR style replica. The picture doesn't really show it, since it's not in the sunlight, but the plastic is that brownish plum color that CYMA is using now.

IMG_0076.jpg

Edited by DanHS
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

And the newest member of the family, the latest CYMA CM.045, I got it on sale from AirsoftGI, combined with a coupon code and free shipping, couldn't pass it up. When I ordered it, I thought to myself "I wish it came with a plum color polymer folding stock instead". Once I open it and pick up the manual, I see the CM.045B model has the polymer folding stock, but since the picture is black and white, and there's nothing anywhere online about it, there's no telling if it'll be plum or black until the model starts showing up on shelves. I'm going to get the polymer folding stock in plum if it does come out, and in black if it doesn't, and put on a KFH style flash hider, and have an SLR106UR style replica. The picture doesn't really show it, since it's not in the sunlight, but the plastic is that brownish plum color that CYMA is using now.

Russia never made plum sidefolding stocks unfortunately. I'm not sure if you can modify RS sidefolders, but if you can, KVAR makes a tan stock you might be able to dye plum.

True, but that might not stop CYMA from making it in plum anyway, of course they might also go and use black furniture on the .045B, will have to wait and see. The KVar stock is way too expensive for me, so I'll just live with a black plastic CYMA stock if I have to, mismatching just makes it look more authentic anyway.

I love my CM050A, you should disable the blowback though; when I got mine used from a friend, the little rod that rides the piston to pull the bolt back, had been grinding against the side of the gearbox and had worn a nice gouge into the side of the cylinder. All I did externally on mine, was toss the plastic handguard for a real Romanian one, paracord wrap the stock, and put on an LCT Bakelite grip. Internally I just rewired with a mosfet, reshimmed, put in a new cylinder, piston and piston head, Guarder M130, and tightbore with Systema bucking and an H-nub. I love the way the gun handles, it just feels right.

And to add some more pictures:

My second attempt at Fakelite came out rather dark, maybe too much woodstain, but I still like it. I also tried to fix the poor job I did at the top of the RPK hicap. I think I may try to get CYMA midcaps to swap shells with, so I can make these into midcaps.

With camera flash

IMG_0086.jpg

In natural sunlight

IMG_0087.jpg

And the technique I used; sand mag with a pattern to simulate strokes and flow of resin. I sanded this mag heavily because I got it used and it had been partly painted black. Then paint strokes with a cheap horsehair brush. Finally, after the stain has begun to dry, dip the very tip of the brush in stain and add splotches, gently brushing to create light and dark areas and making the Bakelite splotchy/swirly look. Give the stain at least three days to dry, then seal with your choice of sealant. I brushed on Minwax 2in1 gloss polyurethane with a foam brush. Not perfect, but I think it still looks nice.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Edited by DanHS
  • Like 1

I think the sanding may not even be necessary, just getting the strokes in, then enhancing them with the dark and light splotches and swirls/smudges. The only reason I sanded these mags, was because they had textured finish, which I wanted to reduce, and the used one had a lot of black paint that was difficult to strip off. If I try to Fakelite my MAG RPK mags, I won't sand them. I might use a lighter color stain too, since they are already brown, and I don't want to paint them pumpkin orange first. I really need to examine real Bakelite mags to better see how the resin flowed in the mold. All I have are steel mags, and I regret not buying any 5.45 Bakelite mags a few years ago when they were pretty inexpensive.

Noveske got one on his, he just used some thin/strong double sided tape for the front part.

On the GHK?

I can't get the GHK magazine to sit properly using the stock method of front retention neither(its a sheet metal piece to hooks to the front lip of of the mag well opening). I did manage to get the whole thing to install but it won't sit the mag. I am getting those 3B VHB tape(same stuff used on GoPro mounts for helmet and stuff) to see if that works better....