AK & Variants Picture Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

Return of the Bubba

To quote an expert...

WHAT IN F*** IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK AMERICAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB S*** ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

I HEAR OF 922 LAW IN AMERICA. ADDING PISTOL GRIP TO WEAPON MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU F***? YOU PUT NEW BOLT EDIFICE? HOW ABOUT BAD FIT RECEIVER COVER FOR CHEAP SCOPE TO SHOW OFF AT HICK PARTY AND NEVER HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN?

SURE, IS ONLY YUGOSLAV COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF SERGEI SIMONOV. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEI! I P*** ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER SIMONOV'S GRAVE BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF HIS ANGRY CORPSE. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

RIFLE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU F*** IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN GARAGE AND ORIGINAL BOLT EDIFICE AND WOOD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP RIFLE SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO FIRING RANGE. TAKE S*** OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD WEAPON.

• Like 2

That looks really good. Painted it yourseld or King Arms kit?

Thanks! Painted myself, basecoat of Brown Krylon followed with blended areas of "Army Paint" in three different shades of tan/khaki :D

That looks well smart, not seen an AK done up like that before.

Thanks very much! This AK's a pretty rare beast, it's the last G&G RK104 ever made with the full-length, full-size dummy bolt instead of their pneumatic blowback. The sound of the bolt slamming home is gorgeous :D

I'm not usually a fan of painted AK's, but that looks really cool, I like the two-tone tan and black, very unique.

What helical gears did you use? I've put some of the less expensive helical gears in guns and they shot fine but sounded weird, and over time smoothed out. Seems that the less expensive gears like SHS, Super Shooter, etc, are cut well enough to work fine, but need some break in time for the teeth to wear a bit and smooth out. My RPK sounded kinda bad when I first built it, but now the gearbox sounds pretty smooth, I used $25 Super Shooter helical torque up gears.

My work in progress Travis Haley Rifle Dynamic AK, based on a GHK vs LCT GBB AK105... since there are a few more steps before looking exactly like it, I've put on different accessories just to make it even more capitalist for this post.

It has a custom machined steel gas block and a Samoon steel barrel shortened and threaded, real steel pistol grip, handguard ,skeleton stock, and a Haley Strategic thorn-tail torch mount   :)

20130914-183816.jpg

20130914-184004.jpg

20130914-184052.jpg

Close up of the custom gas block with red fiber optic sight. 

Edited by blobface
  • Like 4

Eesh.  They stopped making the full-travel bolt to add that 'blowback'?  Step backwards IMHO.  Then again putting that on the box will sell more to the masses so it's not surprising when you think about it.

Tragic, I agree. They made this one for me on my request as a one-off special in recognition of my contributions to G&G in the year beforehand.

I assume the blowback is what seems to be designated by some shops as the Gen 2 RK 104, going to have to keep my eye out for a Gen 1.

Unfortunately not, the blowback was implimented about eight months before G&G started making "Gen.2" rifles which differ in that they have better wiring and motors as stock.

I'm not usually a fan of painted AK's, but that looks really cool, I like the two-tone tan and black, very unique.

What helical gears did you use? I've put some of the less expensive helical gears in guns and they shot fine but sounded weird, and over time smoothed out. Seems that the less expensive gears like SHS, Super Shooter, etc, are cut well enough to work fine, but need some break in time for the teeth to wear a bit and smooth out. My RPK sounded kinda bad when I first built it, but now the gearbox sounds pretty smooth, I used $25 Super Shooter helical torque up gears.

Thanks! They were cheap King Arms "regular Torque" (they're actually 100:300 very-high-torque) helicals that I picked up in HK when I was there on business to meet with RS, eHobby and RW. The KA aftermarket gears are made by SHS and these ones seem to be the noisiest things in the world - it sounds like the gearbox was liberally sprinkled with glass beads before being closed up. I'll take the gears out and replace them with some SHS 13:1s that I have lying around when I get around to buying some tools.

Edited by Aod

How are the NPO gletchers? The skinny magazine on the Stechkin is definately a turn off for me but I'd be interested to know how well they perform.

It's hard to respond to this one without my personal bias since I've been craving a modern Russian handgun replica since Day 1.

Part of me just wants to shout GET IT BECAUSE THEY ARE FINALLY FOR SALE, but I also can understand some people care more about function than looks :P

Both guns have metal slides + frames and plastic grips.  Stechkin has the C02 cartridge in the grip and Grach has it in the mag.  Haven't tested the metal, but people working on them say that it's pretty soft.  NPO-AEG covered up the original bogus Gletcher trade marks and did a nice job of refinishing them.

The slide action isn't going to win any awards on either.  The Stechkin is GBB out of the box and it has some nice blowback, owing to the explosive amount of pressure behind the first few shots.  Both of these replicas NEED some kind of fix before you can take them to a site or you'll wind up shooting a hole in somebody's face.

The Grach is NBB out of the box with the supplied magazines, but in the Russian forums, several users have found ways to mod the mags to "activate" the guns GBB.  AFAIK this particular model is actually a re engineering of the blowback metal pellet replica.  So, it stands to reason with a few mods you can get the blowback working again.  No idea on what the scope of the mods are or whether or not they compromise the reliability of the replica.  I need to do more reading.

In the UK you can order the Gletcher guns right through rusmilitary, but here in the US we only have the NPO-AEG refinished ones that were imported by Atacka.  I would say YES to anyone who wants to order the APS.  Grach is good too (especially if you like modern Russian stuff), but we gotta figure out how to mod it for GBB.