AK & Variants Picture Thread

True, as long as you don't put the stock on top of your shoulder, that really grinds my gears in milsims xD

Shooting from the hip inaccurately is at least "real" :P

Oh, you mean like what these very real military guys are doing with their AKs in an actual simulation/exercise? Can't get any more milsim than that I'm afraid.

FederalandTsSNVityaz11.jpg

You'll find that this is common practice by military and police around the world. The purpose is to shorten the length of the weapon especially if you have a long one to begin with when engaging in tight spaces where good aim and recoil management are secondary.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

Oh, you mean like what these very real military guys are doing with their AKs in an actual simulation/exercise? Can't get any more milsim than that I'm afraid.

You'll find that this is common practice by military and police around the world. The purpose is to shorten the length of the weapon especially if you have a long one to begin with when engaging in tight spaces where good aim and recoil management are secondary.

In that case would not hip fire or just bothering to invest in a folding stock for your troops help? :P

In fact doesn't that model have a folding stock anyway? Also sidearms help.

But yes that over the shoulder thing has it's uses when you have a wrong gun in the wrong place situation but when it comes to a typical game and people just don't know which bits goes where then it makes me laugh.

'FireKnife'

Hip fire will work but then you have a large discrepancy between line of sight and line of fire. The over the shoulder method can at least still be roughly aimed.

Folding stocks are almost never folded during use. It just takes too much time and only really used for transport or when in a vehicle.

Sidearms help, but not all units are equipped with them as with the guys in the picture.

Looks exactly like a gun that was dragged down the road and then set on fire.

Almost all the wear on old Kalashnikovs will be from endless cleaning and handling, not from being run over by an armoured personnel carrier every day for sixty years. Wearing the paint thin, especially on the contact surfaces, and scuffing the wood should give you a much more evenly and authentically worn AK than ten minutes in a cement mixer full of broken glass.

• Like 1

Actually it isn't bad at all.

I mean the worn edges help but in the case of the hanguard it can get too warm if used under sustained fire, could warp and even burn depending on the application just would have to be something specific. Have never been a huge fan of artificial weathering and some guns just need to be played with than played around with but as it stands it looks used and better than it probably did when brand new from an objective standpoint.

'FireKnife'

I don't know.  It's not that bad really.  All the wear is on the edges which will be prone to wear.  It's not like there are random scrapes/scuffs on the slab of the receiver I have seen some people do with wire wool e.t.c.  Handguard looks legit too.  Heat shading around the vents.  Needs some wear on the sights perhaps.  But what do I know.  I had an AK for a few years and it only came out of it's box a handful of times.

The burn looks very similar to those that I got on my real steel AKMS. The weathering on the rest of the gun thou needs a bit polishing (metal wool or metal "sponge" used to clean the burned pots does the trick). Google for the mujahideen photos from the Afgan war for more reference.

"You'll find that this is common practice by military and police around the world. The purpose is to shorten the length of the weapon especially if you have a long one to begin with when engaging in tight spaces where good aim and recoil management are secondary."

Makes sense when I see people who aren't airsofters doing it in context (rather than the "I'm going to run around like this ALL DAY").

In that case would not hip fire or just bothering to invest in a folding stock for your troops help? :P

Hot tip: all of the guys in that photo HAVE folding stocks. They aren't using them, because folding stocks are pretty much a bad idea in any actual shooting situation. Short-stocking is always going to be faster, and afford you more options, that folding or unfolding a stock.

As far as I understand it, in general terms the E&L is quite similar to almost every other airsoft Kalashnikov in that it is a modified descendent of the ancient TM Kalashnikov. Obviously it has much higher quality parts than most other airsoft Kalashnikovs, but conceptually it's business as usual - version three gearbox, extended (non-1:1) receiver, make most of it out of steel, done. LCT and VFC make similarly high-end guns, with numerous small and some significant alterations to the original Marui design to make it more realistic and/or easier to work on.

The RealSword by contrast is almost unique amongst airsoft Kalashnikovs in that it's largely proprietary. That doesn't mean much of it is RealSword's own design - in true Chinese style, it's mostly adapted from other pioneers, although in this case it's TM rather than IZHMASH. Instead, most of the design is TM-derived, even though it isn't TM-compatible; this includes the shortened 'T2' gearbox (to allow a true 1:1 receiver, unique in airsoft Kalashnikovs) and various other idiosyncrasies. What really sets the RealSword apart is that it is generally accepted that most of its parts are sourced from Norinco, which explains why the materials and fit and finish are exceptionally good. Functionally it's not that different to an E&L - it's fundamentally still a gearbox pulling a spring - but I've never seen another airsoft gun as well made as any of RealSword's. There's a useful review here for more information.

For a lot of airsofters it comes down to being unwilling to shoot a Chinese Kalashnikov instead of a Russian one.

Edited by PureSilver
  • Like 1

Where the hell does E&L come from anyway? It's like they just popped out of nowhere with near LCT quality stuff.

Also, about that dragged and burned AK, the thing that puts me off with the handguard is that if it got that hot for the scorch marks to appear you'd also have majority of the shellac blister off as well. Plus getting it that hot almost always means needing replacement (why they're made of cheap wood to begin with) as the singed parts around the retaining caps would have shrunk some giving unwanted wobble. Personally it would look better if you darken it with vinegar that's been soaking with rusty nails. It will give the look of wood that's been held for too long with hand oil, grease and dirt staining it.

I can't say enough about the quality of the Real Sword. Mine is going on 4 years old now, with no issues. Sure, a lipo caught fire in it, but the gun still runs like a champ, and I haven't been easy on it. It's done more than it's fair share of mag dumps, abuse from handling, being dropped etc and it comes back for more. It's the best shooting AEG out of the box I've owned. The mags that they make are amazing as well. Feed great and very sturdy.

• Like 1