AK & Variants Picture Thread

Ive fallen in love with that AK....and i normally hate the tactified ones; youve made it work and respect for that; its a rare gift. I thin its cause it still recognisable as an old beaten up ak, just with modern parts added to it over the years, as the old owners die the new ones pick it up, add parts to it, but its steal got the heart of an old and abused ak.

That grip is a work of art; if you did the paint yourself would you care to share a few tips? Im modernizing mine a bit by adding a 74m stock, a micro scope, Ive got some short sections of rail and may fit them to the stock. I would love a grip like that though, the colour is perfect and screams: "im old, been around man, and killed in tripled digits."

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

It's difficult to capture the wear on this due to my lack of a real camera and using photobucket editing huehuehue, but here's my Real Sword Type 56. It's like the TG Hilux. It's been dropped, on fire, hit into and with things and generally neglected and yet, it will not die.

20150312_133252.jpg

20150312_133341.jpg20150312_133220.jpg

Edited by colwombat
  • Like 5

Ive fallen in love with that AK....and i normally hate the tactified ones; youve made it work and respect for that; its a rare gift. I thin its cause it still recognisable as an old beaten up ak, just with modern parts added to it over the years, as the old owners die the new ones pick it up, add parts to it, but its steal got the heart of an old and abused ak.

That grip is a work of art; if you did the paint yourself would you care to share a few tips? Im modernizing mine a bit by adding a 74m stock, a micro scope, Ive got some short sections of rail and may fit them to the stock. I would love a grip like that though, the colour is perfect and screams: "im old, been around man, and killed in tripled digits."

It's actually a real AK grip from some plum furniture sets my friend and I had ordered years back. Unfortunately I'm not really sure whether its a Russian set or some other Soviet bloc nation. Thank you very much for the compliment!

20150309_12143222_zps2ikh9svn.jpg

UTG AK47 that I got in a partial trade. once i got it i tore it apart, shimmed it, greased it, painted it to look a little more realistic than the plasticy blue color, and lightly weathered the "wood". I will be using this gun as a project gun to build a decent field gun, eventually replacing everything with full wood/metal and replacing the stock utg mechbox with the spare CA box I have laying around.

Edited by Bostitch
  • Like 1

I think that's a Cyma CM040J rifle of some sort.. they have it on Gunfire.pl and a few other places..

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152203538-CM040J-assault-rifle-replica.html

EDIT:  Mind you the pistol grip is different.. I think LCT do a similar rifle?

Edited by DeltaZero

I like; i like it a lot. Im soon to be dipping my toes into diy camo paint, after heing inspired by a paint job on moh warfighter: it doesnt look like a paint job at all, but rather as if the gun is dusted with sand. The basecoats a brown, and all everything but the crevices is a v light sand colour....very simple, but cool, and pretty unique.

I plan to achieve this by using a brown base, and doing the majority in sand. To get thw dusty look ill try drybrushing the sand, huilding up the layers, blending it into the base; if its done r8ght, the effect is very organic, quite like some aks on this page. I mean ive seen those pro camo jobs that are too perfect you know? Great looking, but just not how id imagine a camo job irl - take the above ak- i can see some grimey operator in a foxhole hastily appplying paint for the next skirmish....ive seen pics of sf guys with guns like this- never the pristine, commercial prints with sharply defined edges.

Btw: Weapon Paint...anybody use it,? Its uk mil spec apparantly, and can be removed-painting your gun is a leap of faith, after all-theres always the knowledge you could ruin your gun.

Personally i love painted aks that incorporate a camo scheme into the guns "natural" colours-especially with wood furniture, which imo wd be a shame to paint if its good wood.

Just seen the type 56 btw-those things are incomparable to many replicas out there - the sheen of the wood, the sheer dead weight when you hold one; imho the most perfect replicas of Chinese weapons, and their range is really eclectic too - Id love to see a company do some south korean weapons, they have some seriously nice hardware.

Edited by JackofBlades2448

Someone did a good tutorial on the "Afghan and back" type dust effect paint job but I can't find it.  It was basically give the subject a light dusted covering and then wipe most off with white spirit or similar.  Really easy.

Just checked out a great little tutorial, and its a great base for a camo scheme also looks great on guns that dont wear paint well like the g36c (this is in fact my test gun). For my svd i think ill go for that jungle look-the dusty basecoat and a simple scheme. Im using a dove grey, feldgrau (greenish gray, khaki - but cant decide a green, and the furniture, and mag is getting the full scheme - the dust c9ver is gonna get an "SF" job-a couple lines or panels of colour strait to distressed steel. I find olive drab dark - can anybody suggest a paint brand or colour looks like krylon nato green only not quite so bright- a tiny bit paler?

I guess basex on my modeling hobby way back, any scheme would appear less contrasting, more blended-by adding a common colour to every colour in the scheme-possibly the feldgrau for this one.

After a short session of hair pulling (WE rail was slightly off spec), it's finally on!

IMG_7017.jpg

Heavy though. I had imagined all this time that the mount was some sort of alloy. Nope. Steel forging apparently and roughly machined too with some spots that could cut you.

Edited by renegadecow
  • Like 3

Thats actually quite a nice, authentic touch you dont see too often-definately a kalash thing. They had this late war mosin nagant, zeta, which was identical in every way to the rs except one: its built to a far higher quality finish; no crappy tool marks or poor machining. Well,its a nice touch until you scrape yourself and bleed like a stuck piggy. Id just put a bit of that silicon that sets and goes watertight (its uk-waterproofing is pretty important)

This ribbed handguard, Ive seen it on 74u's a lot and Im really tempted to "modernize" a bit and get one with the polymer stock. I think this would look decent with a cyma bulgaria mag, and maybe a very subtle shade of 74m plum, which ill assume is a dark burgundy untill i can c some decent hi-res pics. Either that, or a dark marine blue-nice colour and goes with white, greys, khakis, mettalics.

Anyways is this handguard derived from a real aks74u variant? Im assuming it would be a 74m carbine but im really not up onthe newer variants- there a two many for one.ive seen a really nice LCT one, but forthe same price i could get the full dboy kit, with money for the akmsu fpashider i like.

The quality will be inferior no doubt, but god created krylon ultra flat for that.

Another thing ive seen is a rail mounts to the ak gas tube; is that the part where the upper handguard goes, or the part of gas tube that juts out from it? Or maybe it attaches to the handguard (pics werent good at all)

Ribbed handguards (plum) on the 74SU was only a prototype but never went into production as the 74SU was halted from further production in favor for longer AKs. It eventually became a unicorn and everyone wanted one so K-Var started making them in plum and black. Mine are stock WE.

On railed gas tubes, there's only Ultimak which replaces the gas tube and is further anchored on the barrel. There are also railed upper handguards and rails that go over the upper handguard, attached to the lower handguard.

Ribbed handguards (plum) on the 74SU was only a prototype but never went into production as the 74SU was halted from further production in favor for longer AKs. It eventually became a unicorn and everyone wanted one so K-Var started making them in plum and black. Mine are stock WE.On railed gas tubes, there's only Ultimak which replaces the gas tube and is further anchored on the barrel. There are also railed upper handguards and rails that go over the upper handguard, attached to the lower handguard.

Cool. This allsounds a bit like the akmsu to me andi love a mythical engine of destruction. Hmmm...kyhber pass or prototype carbine for spec ops, so secret only one image and 2 parts remain?... - one thing ive noticed is the sudden jump from the 74su to the full length rifle-seemingly the russians seen no need for multiple lengths eg ar15 which starts at the pistol barrel lengthpretty much going up to big game hunters territory...just 2 solutions- baby ak and mother ak - to two problem, cqb combat for sf and rear echelon; and the universal assault rifle- they chose the cheapest and easist option. do like the ribbed handguard though, i cdnt seein thepics but does it actually retain the classic ak shape beneath allthat rubber? Also ive seen these ribbed polymer mags by lct v similar; are these part of a set?

Back then two barrel lengths seemed to be enough. Nowadays you have the 104/105 which bridges the gap in between while "updated" 74SUs are simply being decked out in Zenit parts.

I really like the ergonomics of the ribbed hand guards which is why I've kept them all this time. They're similar in shape with the original wooden SU that the sides bulge out a bit for your finger tips to better grab a hold of. The palm area (bottom) is smooth and there's a small ribbed hump at the front which serves somewhat as a hand stop/indexing mark.

• Like 1

Yeah right the ergonomics; theyve been building this platform for decades, but seeing this handguard prob was the first time idseen an ak and thought: I bet that has excellent handling. I wonder what couodexplain that- i mean russia are at the cutting edge of mili tech-some concepts are just beyond. I mean the silent pistol without an sd? The cartridge just sucks in the gas...the the an 94-shoots two bullets within the samerecoil cycle- Doubling the trauma and piercingof the bullet used..but the AK just hasnt seen a lotof this tech; Its modernized, for sure, but in pretty limited ways. Before i knew anything about them I honestly thought they were the same rifle, besides colours and slight externals. Maybe this is why when an ak variant-even a distant relative - makes the news, its always just the "AK47" rare as those weird tied up rat knots now, and I believe production didnt even exceed one million.( cd b wrong tho) which is a tiny number, at least in the land of AK's- sold by the tonne, and even the poorest pattern copy is soldier proof, bomb proof.

Say there is a ww3, its depressing to think weve created a rifle thatll survive us..worse still to know you can use them or look at them.

Oh i was gonna ask some o' the AK brains about soviet presentation ak's as im coming up with a project. I know the soviets were fond of ornate firearms as gifts; IE stechkins in hand carved boxes to friendly diplomats, engraved pistols - big status symbols, pistols- as yet the only cerremonial ak ive seen is a gorgeaus green akm presented by kalash himself to the best guards. Atm im thinking like a kgb aks74u, blacked out and embelished as an award for KGB or Gru Operations; black rifles for black ops...and the aks74u fairly screams Spec ops. Parts have been chromed- bolt, flashider, and a tanker make has been smoothed completely,polished and chromed, ornate kgb enamael added, the rest is battle worn though: a trophy thats actually been out there kind of thing. Handguard is ebony and waxed, and the grip is crimson fakelite, with many black washes. Im thinking of a finishing touch; a copper trigger maybe...there has to be alfa spesnats insignia in there somewhere too.

Rant over if you havnt lost interest. Its espresso.

As far as I know the AKS74U was called the 'little female dog' because you couldn't do much with it: It was extremely loud, very inaccurate and heated up quickly.

I don't think It was every regarded as a specialty SpecOps weapon. You're better off trying that with a 9x39 weapon or even an 'ordinary' ak74mn.

The reason the AK wasn't upgraded much was because it was too costly to equip infantry with a specialty weapon.

Hell, I believe they still keep mosins and AKM's in stock as training weapons, though I'm not 100% certain.

It doesn't offer much modern tech but from a financial and logistics POV, the AK variants do the job extremely well with it's high percentage parts compatibility, effectiveness in the field and the soldiers knowledge and habit of handling of the weapon. No relearning techniques, same muscle memory, only 2 kinds of ammo ( just the calibres ). It's very efficient at what it does.

This, because the red army ( they're still called that? ) is HUGE!

So they only update the SpecOps every few years. 

Red-Alliance and guns.world.ru is a good source of info :).

The reason pistols are often a gift is that you could carry it easily for personal protection. Anything bigger is a bit... well.. big, you know?