AK & Variants Picture Thread

So I have my first AK, now to get used to a completely different system (will post pictures eventually but right now it's stock and the light is terrible).

LCT LCKS74, what midcaps should I be looking for as I hate hicaps with a passion? Failing that I MIGHT be tempted by flash mags but still don't like the idea.

I also struggle to focus with AK irons, I can do it but it's nowhere as easy as with my MBUIS when I still had some, I'm thinking possibly an optic but worried it might ruin it as I'd be running it primarily as an OPFOR gnu (I have my eyes on a dish dash and have a Makarov kicking around). But if I do go optic should I get a classic side mounted (which will interfere with my stock no?) Or get a railed top cover?

Sorry for all the questions, used to Western modular kit. Do love the wood on it though, and the ROF after a GBB is lovely.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

I use Cyma translucid mags on my E&L gen2 and a field colleague uses the same mags on his LCT AKSU, you will just need to file down a bit the front lips, not difficult or long process, just use a dremmel like tool to file and test.

On optics... well, depends on which opfor you are running, if it is something russian SF style, you can just get a railed side mount and use your favourite western optic, like an EOtech, if you aim for something less SF, any more russian looking optic will do. For example, I have an AK105 and use a micro dot in a clone ultimak, not very russian-ish, but I don't care for full 110% kit precission, I just want to shoot people and have fun, I have a PK01v as well, awesome optic TBH, but heavy as suitcase.

My advice is that if you don't care much for realism and kit accuracy, or you already have a nice optic, just get a russian style side mounted rail from kalinka or ebay and call it a day =)

I'd echo the above. But going local milita I wouldn't do any optic at all.

With regards to mags, cymas standard styles fit fine, the clear and black Bulgarian ones require filing. However, I've already snapped 2 in this area by rocking them home too hard so won't be buying any more.

I did get a couple of RPK mags, on standard the other a Molot. The molot for some reason creates an over hopping effect, on that mag only. So no good if you're using it alongside others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AK irons are no problem if you train properly with them. Specially in a full-length AK, where you can use just the front post as a "poor man's red dot". 

That being said, I reckon aperture sights and such are quicker and easier to use  No simple way to add those to an AK, so red dots are a welcome addition.

If you're going that route, I suggest using the side rail mount. Top covers are the loosest part of any AK, specially in airsoft, so it will be extremely easy to get some zeroing issues if you try to mount the optic in a railed top cover.

I guess anything picatinny would be a bit too high speed for the opfor feel you're after, but yes, I got a few side mounted optics for this exact reason as it doesn't "ruin" the look, the best ones I've come across in terms of sight pictures not being too visually obstructive is the OKP-7 (no clones afaik) and the Kobra (with plenty of clones).

They will however stop you from being able to use your folding stock, I never shoot the guns with the stock folded anyway, it's too 80s for my liking, however before / after the game I will take them off so that things will fit into my bag better with the stock folded and optics back in their canvas bags, they hold zero anyway. 

Edited by blobface

They will however stop you from being able to use your folding stock, I never shoot the guns with the stock folded anyway, it's too 80s for my liking, however before / after the game I will take them off so that things will fit into my bag better with the stock folded and optics back in their canvas bags, they hold zero anyway.

This was the primary reason for me wanting to fold the stock, how long does it take roughly to remove the sight?

I know my home sight does do some sort of AK side mount optic so I probably speak to the owner about that after downing the spring, grabbing some mags and a chicom/claymore bag

Depending on the model, but most sights take seconds to remove and put on without the need of any tools, depending on how tight you've set it, it could cause the bleeding of the finger tip thanks to Russian engineering. Personally I use the sling of the rifle to loop around and pull down on the lever of a Kobra sight to undo. 

Amen to that, my fire selector is pretty damn stiff right now. Hoping it eases in or worst case I'll very lightly file it down.

I'm excited to join the AK club, especially as it only cost me £115 (well technically £125 as I won a voucher in a raffle before Christmas and it was discounted).

Practice makes perfect with the iron sights. There's a different "cheek weld" philosophy to the AK so it's more about positioning your head in an AK-space rather than trying to adapt western ideas backwards. As was already said, it's all about the front sight anyway (in any form of shooting, really).

I would not put an optic on it at all, for your intended purpose. If you do, get something issued at least. I have an RPG sight that I sometimes use on my "insurgent" rifle... it provides a mild magnification function and also looks the part... but usually I simply don't use that at all. Same thing with my modern Russian AK, actually. I have a magnified optic but usually just stick to the irons.

And yeah, you won't be able to fold the stock with anything on the side rail, but how often is that honestly a big deal?

Have wanted them for a while but still struggling to dish out the coins for them. Are those real steel or Asura Ivan? 

Asura from ehobbyasia.

You can get a full set from ebairsoft for $40. I've got one on mine. Thought I'd stuck a photo up but maybe not. Hoping it's not too high over the SVD receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ebairsoft is OOS on them. :/

That's why I had to pick mine from ehobby.

That explains the siderail on the handguard on the upper photo B) . I guess I'd rather use a gun with stock parts than fit it with fancy and exciting ACM parts in a real life situation. 

Edit: On second thought, that also applies to airsofting.

Edited by Hopna