AK & Variants Picture Thread

superVepr, don't quote pics. just replace them with <snip> ;)

Airsoft receivers are 1-3mm too wide for a Real Steel kobra, so your sight will be offset. Real Sword receivers are Real Steel spec, so you can mount a Real Steel Kobra on them

it's not too bad if the pic was on a previous page. it's when the next post is the same picture quoted that it gets annoying.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

I once saw one real kobra sight on a dboys aks-74un model someone in my state had years ago, wish I had bought the gun off of him.

Would like to get a working aks-74u again, along with one of those rpk midcap mags. I've seen an ad by a local player for one of the echo 1 rpk hicaps, but not really sure how it would feed/look in any of my rifles.

As much as I would like to get another gun though, I have to be content with the three main rifles I have already. Unless I end up selling locally some unused parts of my collection, I don't see anything larger than a handgun anytime soon.

superVepr, don't quote pics. just replace them with <snip> ;)

Airsoft receivers are 1-3mm too wide for a Real Steel kobra, so your sight will be offset. Real Sword receivers are Real Steel spec, so you can mount a Real Steel Kobra on them

Once you install a side-rail on it. No Real Sword Type 56 comes with side-rail. You could get a Kobra for weaver, but that would be the same for any gun, even the other Ak variants.

Not sure if you can put it in a SVD, that's the only Real Sword with side-rail.

So here's a quick shot of the old Kalash that I stripped and blued:

CameraZOOM-20120523214006002.jpg

It actually looks pretty nice even though I did a terrible job with the blueing. The bad finish suits it. I'll probably take better pictures that show the whole assembled gun on the weekend.

EDIT: The top cover is actually from an ancient Marui.

Edited by Yuri

Finally made myself shoot a few pictures of my Kalash AKS-74UN. It's one of the very first full-steel versions, that came with a horrid looking hardwood grip. That grip was eventually replaced with the updated Kalash laminate. I recently put some LCT wood on it, and I am really satisfied so far, even though getting my 9.6v battery in there is a real fight (LCT upper handguard has a realistic gastube). I think this could be solved by a thinner lipo.

Other than that, I have blued most of the visible steel components and installed an LCT inner barrel, and a "bakelite" LCT pistol grip. The pistol grip is a bit on the flimsy side, but I think it can be remedied with some kind of epoxy.

The bluing process took ages, as I didn't have access to sand blasting. I manually removed the finish with tons of fine-grit sandpaper and scotch brite, before applying Birchwood Casey's Gun Blue. I actually wanted to get Brownells Oxpho Blue, but importing it to Norway would have cost me 650$ due to special shipping for chemicals :fear2:

7269008166_9d08aa4f27_c.jpg

Close-up of the receiver. The bottom of the receiver is already worn down to bare metal :D

7268999434_6e837ec259_z.jpg

The LCT pistol grip. I wish it was better constructed. I love how it looks.

7268999014_ee5450da8d_z.jpg

One of my new Cyma 5.45 steel magazines. I really like how they look (but I plan on bluing them B) ). Are they accurate to the real Tantal magazines?

7268997984_8c006d160b_z.jpg

7268995416_c5d6143061_z.jpg

Now I'll just have to find a steel trigger, a steel outer barrel, a proper 74U sling and perhaps an LCT 74U stock (as it has the correct bent edges and such). Does anyone know where I can a cheap AKSU sling? The cheapest I've found is 35$.

Also, do any of you have a good picture of a russian 74U charging handle? I'm planning to modify my charging handle :)

Edited by Kamigawa

I think LCT have realized that the shiny bakelite grip was flimsy and have stopped shipping it. Their guns now come with one that has a dull finish. I've got the shiny one on my AKMS and I've had to glue it back together about five times. You can make it a little sturdier by attaching something to the sides of the motor cage so that it makes contact with the inside of the grip and supports it. I used pieces of thick tape.

Thanks, I will do that :-)

Are the other LCT grips also flimsy? If not, I might buy the one you were talking about.

My somewhat recently bought LCT Ak-105 came with a black polymer grip and it's quite flimsy, has a lot of side-to-side play. It gets better when properly adjusted, but it will loose up over time, most annoying. Besides that I don't have much to complain.

I wanted to try with some other grip, what brand do you guys recommend?

I guess I should order another Bakelite grip if they've stopped making them. In have three LCT grips; the Bakelite, the brick red, and the OD Green. The OD green one has the matte, textured feel, and is definitely the sturdiest, it's similar to the CYMA grips. The brick one isn't as matte or textured, and it's not quite as sturdy, but not that flimsy either, while the Bakelite one is a little flimsy. I've had the Bakelite one on my AIMS for a while and it hasn't broken or anything, but you can squeeze the sides a bit and it has some movement.

Anyways the gun looks awesome, I might try doing a blued AKM, seeing how nice that came out.

Edited by DanHS

My optics rail is finally gone! The three holes are now welded shut, and the welds distressed so that they would blend in nicely with the receiver. It looks really good in my eyes, even though some small "bubbles" can be discovered upon further inspection.

Bluing the welds was no problem at all, and I decided to re-blue the rest of the receiver as well. This time I used Birchwood Casey's Super Blue, and it turned out a bit darker than last time :)

I also used some super glue to strengthen the pistol grip, with great effect!

7297021492_716185c8df_c.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful, Comrade! I think I will definitely get one of the full steel DBoys AKM's and blue it, it looks quite nice. Hmm, now I'd like to see a proper AK-47, machined steel receiver, threaded barrel, etc. That would be pretty nice to have.

• 2 weeks later...

now I'd like to see a proper AK-47, machined steel receiver, threaded barrel, etc. That would be pretty nice to have.

LCT NV AK47 is your only option.

My optics rail is finally gone! The three holes are now welded shut, and the welds distressed so that they would blend in nicely with the receiver. It looks really good in my eyes, even though some small "bubbles" can be discovered upon further inspection.

Bluing the welds was no problem at all, and I decided to re-blue the rest of the receiver as well. This time I used Birchwood Casey's Super Blue, and it turned out a bit darker than last time :)

I also used some super glue to strengthen the pistol grip, with great effect!

Glorious work in defense of motherland, comrade!

Edited by adadqgg
  • Like 1