AK & Variants Picture Thread

That's what I've been looking at, is at the LCT AIM's kit, not the AKM. I'm thinking of going the MPi-KMS 72 route, after snooping around the EW forums a bit. Also after seeing different things on RA, I think it's definitely going to be a stand out around my neck of the woods.

I used to hate the coat hanger stock, but after running around like a mad man for the last month with my Cyma Romanian, it's one of my favorites now. All though it's a toss up. I need an under folder to complete the collection, it would be quite cool as well to do a KMS version.

We shall see....

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HAY GUYS! I has AK too. Can I join?

Finnaly put my RPK together. Its a genuine Russian Molot from 1973.   I bought it as a complete gun, but due to laws i had to remove and trash the receiver, BCG and barrel.   But all the rest (70%

Posted Images

The LCT NV series are somewhat more realistic, still some grub screws present, but built more like the vfc than tm.

A few of us on red alliance are seeing if LCT even sells them in kit form, asking a US-based shop about that. It might just be a special order kind of thing.

I was trying to get my hands on the RPK version, but a certain comrade has my attention towards a "project" svd.

I was surfing Den Trinity the other day and they had the body kit for the AIMS. Honestly, there are quite a few options available for my little project. Could always grab a D-boy's AIM and a Cyma gearbox, and pick up the front grip from one of the many gun stores that carry them. However, LCT being the bread winner as far as AK enthusiasts choice, I'm thinking that it will be the winning choice. Gunmane, let me know how the special order process ends up.

Please.

Unless LCT changed anything for their NV series, they are NOT compatible with VFC. I found that out the hard way.

The outer barrels are not threaded - the front sight is, just like the TM.

The outer barrel diameter for fitting in the trunnion is different also.

LCT OB's use two grub screws (their trunnion front pin is fake), while VFC's use a real pin and one grub screw.

Their receiver hole for the handguard is much smaller than the VFC's, so you're limited to LCT handguards/RIS's or modifying other ones.

The rear sight block is thinner than the VFC's.

They don't work with VFC mags (are more TM-mag compatible), and they have a very little notch for locking in magazines in, which makes it VERY easy to break the locking nub on your magazine.

Magazines will not fall out when the release is pressed (unless you file/sand down the magwell).

TL,DR: I love LCT's quality, but they made a big number of design flaws that I feel VFC did much better at - consequently VFC is much more real steel compatible.

Of course that might've all changed with their new NV guns, but I'm not putting up my hopes.

But finding a VFC is like trying to find stand out pop music..few and far between. If VFC ever comes out with another AK then it's all good.

I've got time to wait. If it boils down to it, it's not going to get be built till fall/winter anyways. I'm in the very preliminary stages right now.

I'm looking into getting an AKS-74u.

Right now this one has my attention:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=139_24_206&products_id=4739

Is it reasonably compatible with real-steel parts (for instance, real handguards)? Any issues I should watch out for? Should I just get something else?

It's one of CYMA's newer models, basically a VFC copy like a DBoys. The new CYMA gearboxes are pretty good right out of the box, hopup and barrel isn't bad either. Real handguards should fit, might need a tiny bit of fitting. Not a whole lot of real parts to put on it though, maybe front and rear sight blocks? The DBoy's full steel models are starting to come back in supply again, so you might want to look at those instead, all steel already, and the DBoys gearboxes, while not as nice as CYMA, aren't bad.

It's one of CYMA's newer models, basically a VFC copy like a DBoys. The new CYMA gearboxes are pretty good right out of the box, hopup and barrel isn't bad either. Real handguards should fit, might need a tiny bit of fitting. Not a whole lot of real parts to put on it though, maybe front and rear sight blocks? The DBoy's full steel models are starting to come back in supply again, so you might want to look at those instead, all steel already, and the DBoys gearboxes, while not as nice as CYMA, aren't bad.

I see, sounds good. Do you think one of the newer CYMAs could handle an 11.1v lipo (I use mostly semi-only fire so not much auto shredding)? That's one of my main concerns right now, as I'm not keen on getting another battery and the ones they come with I never use.

I see, sounds good. Do you think one of the newer CYMAs could handle an 11.1v lipo (I use mostly semi-only fire so not much auto shredding)? That's one of my main concerns right now, as I'm not keen on getting another battery and the ones they come with I never use.

A stock CYMA gearbox should be able to run on an 11.1v LiPo, just as long as you don't go crazy with it. But if you're using semi a lot, a mosfet, even just a basic mosfet (which I think there's a how to guide for stickied in the tech section), would be a good idea, trigger contacts and 11.1v LiPos and semi auto don't get along that well. You could grab a couple 7.4v 1300mah Turnigy LiPos from HobbyKing, I have a few of those and they're great, they fit under the dust cover easily, and cost like $8 each.

Time for a family photo update I think. I wanted to get a nicer photo outdoors, but it's much too hot out for me to go bring all the AK's to a suitable background surface outdoors, and thunderstorms are rolling in, so the floor will have to suffice. My camera also refuses to take nice pictures in artificial light, so they're a bit grainy. Anyways, here's the family today, hopefully it will soon be growing with the addition of some nicer AK's, as I'm considering picking up an LCT or two.

Here's my primary AK's:

IMG_0701.jpg

-CYMA RPK74, with a scope mounted it makes for a support gun that can double as a DMR at about 500fps. I just refinished the wood, no more bright yellow wood shining in the sun!

-CYMA AIMS, LCT Bakelite grip, Romanian handguard, replica AimPoint on CYMA Ultimak replica, my 470fps outdoors gun.

-DBoys/CYMA AKS74U, A newer CYMA gearbox stolen from a broken Echo-1 AK47, inside a DBoys body, my 430fps outdoor gun

-CYMA/JG AKSBeta thing, a stock JG AK Beta gearbox and front end mated to a CM.035 receiver, 380fps gun that I use with a tracer silencer for night games

-CYMA AK47S, it was a UTG Warhawk rebranded CM.028S that I bought on EBay for $15 with a broken stock, now it's my 325fps CQB gun, shortened barrel, filled in receiver and painted everything satin black, CYMA tacticool lower handguard with fakepul AFG, Romanian upper handguard. It's very nice and handy in tight CQB fields.

And here are my loaner and backup AK's:

IMG_0705.jpg

-CYMA AK74/104, a CM.036 I got used for $45 missing the front sight, I ended up cutting down the barrel and using an extra front sight/gas block from a CM.035. It shoots 400 with the stock gearbox and works well, I just need to remember to buy the correct muzzle booster.

-CYMA AK47U thing, I received a broken echo-1 AK47 from a friend, cannibalized the 7mm CYMA gearbox shell for my AKSU, and put the leftover parts together to give it a gearbox that shoots about 415fps. I bought the CM.035 front end for $20, booster and pistol grip came off my JG Beta. It came out to be a very solid and nice shooting gun.

-CYMA AKSU, the story behind this is interesting, I created it almost entirely out of leftover parts. A friend had a CM.035 with a broken stock and a chunk busted out from the front of the receiver. Some JB weld did an ok job, but the stock couldn't fold anymore. When I spotted a used CM.035 for $90, my friend and I split it, I fixed his gun and took the new gearbox and his broken old receiver. It was a new 7mm CYMA box so I put it aside, and bought a plastic V3 box from a kid and put in leftover metal gears, tuned it up, removed the selector plate (semi only now) and dropped that in. I put a screw with a nut through the stock and the receiver to hold the stock in place better than the JB Weld could. Everything else was some leftover part I had lying around. It only shoots 280fps because I wanted to go easy on the plastic box and didn't want much fps anyway, it's a perfect loaner gun for new ppl that I don't know since I only have $30 and my time into it, it's semi only, and it doesn't shoot hard. I like to use it in a survival zombie game where we use only pistols and shotguns, it gets one mag with 50 rounds and gets stashed on the field for someone to find. At 280, it can't really outshoot pistols, but it's surprisingly accurate and you can use the sights to put bbs on target at 125 feet easily.

-CYMA AK47 tacticool, I bought it for $45 used with a broken stock. I realized it had a 7mm CYMA box so I put that aside, and put in a stock JG box from a JG AK47 that I got for $40. The lower handguard went to my CQB AK, so it got a handguard from the JG. I fixed the stock with a Dremel, two screws, and a piece of 1/8"x3/4" steel. Makes a good loaner and backup for CQB.

Edited by DanHS