Type 38 Arisaka Question

K12azy13astard

** To Any Mods or Admin, If this thread about real steel does not belong, please IM be before removing. I believe a WW2 thread would be the best place for me to post my question, and get a accurate and quick response, thank you. **

So over the years, I've been fortunate enough to have a gun collector for a grandfather. I've shot a awesome numbers of rifles, and have many more to shoot, even though my grandfather is on limited time (Early Stages of Lung Cancer, has refused kemo...He's a Marine, what'd you expect :D ). I'm posting this up, as I feel that Airsofters may have a better chance at helping me out, as you may know someone that can read japanese (or yourself)

The gun was recovered by an US Army solider on Bougainville Island, and it was recovered as a war trophy.

Marines and Army both landed in November 1st 1943, followed by the US Army occupation until 1946. The Marines had moved on to take other islands during the war. The gun was recovered by an US Army solider on Bougainville Island, and it was recovered as a war trophy. It was brought rifle home, with all "Trademarks", chrysanthemum and dust cover intact, though no bayonet. In 1968-69, my grandfather came into possession of it though a neighbor (the Army Soldier), though a discussion about my grandfather wanting to start gun collecting, and a part trade for some recently harvested and cleaned duck.

The gun had a silk letter with the rifle, however it was degraded so badly that it fell apart. It also had a silk string holding the tag, however it too had rotted away.

I apologize for the crappy pictures

web.jpg

The Emperor's chrysanthemum and "Type 38" in shiki characters

web.jpg

Obtaining some information on the rifle itself was the easy part, as we learned that the rifle was manufactured at the Nagoya Arsenal, which was operational between 1923-1945. ( the gun's serial number suggests that it was made in-between 1933-1940 )

What we would like to find out, is what the tag says. This is the only thing I can not find, or understand how to even read the characters. I don't read japanese.

IMG_0126.jpg

If you guys can give me a hand, in figuring out what this is, that would be fantastic.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived