80s SAS MP5A3 (Slimline Handguard)

CrazyApe

A while ago I saw a picture from the SAS Operation Nimrod embassy siege showing an MP5A3 with the slimline checkered handgaurd and large maglite mounted on top of the gun.

I took little interest until I found such an example of a maglight in my shed and began thinking.

The first problem that occurred to me was battery space in the slimline handguard, could this be solved with a Lipo?

Secondly the acquisition of said slimline handguard, could anyone enlighten me?

Here is a link to an image of the weapon in question: http://media.photobucket.com/image/embassy+siege+mp5+torch+/pagoda_troop/6255c1aa.jpg

All constructive help is appreciated.

Yes, but you will have to drill a hole through the torch, high profile scope mount and upper receiver and use some good quality cable (upgrade to deans whilst you are on it) with a little work you can also wire the torch to run off the lipo to give you a functional light and give people the WTF? when they see the gun and torch working.

Their is a Chinese kit out for the slim Forend, including spacer. But their is no chance of getting a battery in it, so if your going for a sliding stock it's either the battery sling or Lipo in Maglight option for know. Best way is to wait for the GBB MP5's that several companies are developing to come out.

Actualy just thought the lipo battery could fit in the vertgrip the Maglight equipped Mp5's had.

It also depends on how exact you want to be. If you want a proper stanag sight mount, expect to pay anywhere from about £100 for one. It will be proper steel, and not monkey metal like the TM high rise mount, and there is a difference in the way that they mount the sights, as the tm has a flat rail, which is not the end of the world, as this is very easily adaptable to mount a light. Another way that maglights were attached to the earlier slimline foregrips was by drilling two holes in the underside of the grip, to which were bolted mounts (such as scope mounts) to hold the maglight under the forgrip pre surefire!

Now, where to put the battery? That is the biggest problem. You can use the methods mentioned above, lipo in the maglight is a little more complicated to do, but looks great. Solid stock solves the problem the easiest. Here is one more suggestion. Have you ever seen an airsoft MP5K? They have a V3 gearbox, and have the battery running along the top above the gearbox (sticky type). I dont know if this is possible in a full size MP5 as it would depend on the body dimensions, but it might be an idea. At the end of the day it is always nice when someone cant figure out where the battery is!

I had one of those Slimline handguards on an old CA mp5a2 I owned years ago. Got it second hand so I'm not sure what make the handguard was, but it was really comfy to use. Good luck with the build!

If you're mounting the torch 'Nimrod' style; on top of the gun on a mount it is a Streamlight rather than a Maglite, and is simply jubilee clipped and/or taped on to a std H&K claw mount. (From the mouth of one of the guys who was actually, really on the balcony at his talk before Op Semiramis @ UCAP Virus). Shouldn't be too hard to run a lipo of some sort inside the body of the torch, with a bit more jiggery-pokery to run the torch from the same battery if you wish.

later 'underslung' type was indeed a Maglite. SA80 mount ones are available from surplus outlets/military fairs for a 'reasonable' amount of cash and should be fairly easy to modify and bolt on, but that's a heck of a lot of weight swinging about attached to the foregrip. Think I'd go for the on top option myself.

Thinking more about this to do a Nimrod AEG I think I would mount a Lipo in a Vertical Grip. Mount the maglight/streamlight on top but mod it to run on a lightweight lipo pack, can them run a brighter lamp. This would make a better balanced gun with no wires visible.

Anyone selling a cheap SEF gun?

Archived