SIG SAUER 556 SG556 Review

Yes I think you are right, when I have plenty of time I will take down. I will completely rebuild the gear box and possibly change the motor. I am quite happy with the stock hop parts and barrel as the accuracy was quite stunning.

One thing I have noticed is that the receiver screws, one of which I believe was missing on the review example of yours, become loose very quickly. I have secured mine with nail varnish, the screw on the left side of the receiver cannot be tightened too much and has to be left quite loose but restrained with a big dollop of nail varnish. Any attempt to tighten too much causes the fire selector not to pivot.

The gears and bushings seem quite good. I changed the springguide for a bearing type though. The nozzle is rather bad but I hope to change this to a p90 type nozzle with o-ring. Hopefully it will fit with minor sanding. The standard motor is ok, but I used a systema motor (for the Sig series). This boosted rof to 26 per second with 9,6v 1500mah. Of course I polished the cylinder and deburred the gearbox while at it. I have also installed a silent piston and pistonhead and a m120 spring, guarder clear hop, v-shaped hop bucking and cut down tb barrel. These things are far from necessary though, just doing a dmr-ish setup for fun.

Like some people state, be very carefull with the thin walls where the fire selector screws in! Both of mine broke but they still screw into place. I resorted to fixing the triggerguard to the grip with a screw to prevent wobbeling. Se MK23 for takedown guide. http://www.mk23custom.com/reviews/cybergunsig556.html

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken the AEG down now and found it fairly simple and logical. The interior of mine is identical to Crackisbad's, however thre is quite a bit of debris in the gunky green grease. I even found a large lump of solder mixed in and it would have caused issues eventually.

The tappet plate seems well made and more robust than that normally found in either low end or even high end AEG's. I am not too concerned about the loss of compression around the nozzle - hey I had to put up with a similar problem with my Magpul Masada! I will fit a M110 and regrease and chrono.

Yea, that green gunk was poo. Here's a quick tip on the nozzle:

From what I saw, the stock nozzle is much shorter than a standard SIG nozzle.

Stock SIG556: 20.85mm

Deep Fire Metal SIG: 22.42mm

Hurricane SIG: 22.40mm

However, I found that the SHS AK Nozzle (the metal purple "long" type) fits almost perfectly at 20.73mm

Many thanks, new nozzle on order!

Interestingly after fitting a M110 and regreasing and shimming etc the fps still was in the 390 region! I stripped again and fitted a M100 and this returned an fps of 360-370!

The only other change I made was the addition of a Element AK length TB and a Guarder clear rubber. Will have to wait for my next game to check the accuracy.

I'm using a guarder m120 spring but I cant remember the fps it puts out. Think I wrote it down somewhere, will have a look.

I do remember the getting great variations in fps, most likely due to the airloss at the nozzle. The element o-ring nozzle I have is 20,70mm so hopefully it will fit.

The fps on mine is really quite consistent, but with most sites in the UK requiring AEG's to be under 350 fps I will have to go to a M90. One thing I found is that the motor is wired oddly, the black wire goes to the red terminal, I only discovered this on reassembly for the first time!

Just chronoed it again. X-3001 chrono, KA 0,2 platinum bb's ,string of 50 bb's (hop turned all the way down). Got pretty stabil 403fps +/- 9fps.

Maybe the spring settled in a little since last time i chronoed.

Zapman, I had no such problem with the original motor (it now resides in TM sig 551). Like crackisbad said, you'd better have another look and see if all is as it should be!

Oh, I also shimmed the hop-arm using thin strips of aluminium and superglue. It is now much more sturdy and not so many fliers. (simpel and cheap mod. :) )

Strange about the motor, it turns as it should with this odd wiring, and the AEG cycles fine! I dont remember seeing it when I first stripped it down either.

Crackisbad - fitted the nozzle and tested and I don't think it is compatible, fps dropped to 250 with a M100 fitted! Shame as it fitted nicely and looks nice!

that is strange. I didn't get to check mine out, but hey, if it works.....

That's too bad about the nozzle! I haven't gotten a chance to try out different nozzles on mine yet so I was just going off measurements to see which one would come closest. I suppose it needs a little bit longer nozzle. I shall keep searching I guess.

The nozzle was worth a try as they are cheap enough!

So I have done the following so far to mine:-

(1). Re-greased and re-shimmed.

(2). Fitted metal bearing spring guide.

(3). Fitted an old M100 (probably 7 years old and well used)..

(4). Guarder clear rubber.

(5). Element 6.04 TB.

(6). Fitted a larger nub.

(7). Removed the fuse and small Tamya connector, fitted a Deans.

The FPS is now fairly consistent at at between 350 and 354, so is skirmishable in the UK. The ROF is very much better with a 7.4V Lipo.

The side wall of the receiver on the left side is begining to fail, I have reinforced slightly, and I can see that when I dismantle again it will break completely, however this can be shimmed out and bonded with epoxy resin. I suspect that the metal used is very poor mazac or the like and not quality alluminum. This would account for the high weight of the AEG.

Following JV83's comments I examined the hop up adjustment arm and can see there is a lot of free play (side to side). This I have left alone and just fitted a larger nub. This will be a future challenge!

I am now already to go with this but will not be able to test properly untill my next game, sheduled for the 27th.

Hey guys, I bought a 556 shorty off of a mate last weekend, so far loving it. The ris is a little loose and wobbles however. I haven't stripped it all down to work out what secures it though. I started the strip when i was knackered and managed to take the threaded part of the front pin clean off by over tightening. It still holds but top/bottom can move a little now.

So has anyone found a place i can buy a replacement front pin?

Hej Mad-larkin I think the 556 shorty is another design than the one mentioned on this thread. Its King arms as the one mentioned here is Cyma taking the design from the GWS kit. You might try the same kind of pin from the ICS sig 55- series, maybe it will fit! If I remember correctly there are a couple of ICS distributers in the Uk that might stock these. Can't remember names though.

Well I had the opotunity to give my 556 a good run out today. I used it for most of the day and put about 2000 BB's through it.

The only negative is the weight, which got to me after a while, the gameplay was intensive woodland with getting on for 100 players in attendence. I also took my ICS M4 and a G&P M4 to compare with the 556 on the range.

All my AEG's have TB's and are tuned to 350fps, the 556 was more accurate than both the other high end models, ROF was a little less however that is not important to me.

Overall I am extremely impressed, however I will not add any other goodies except for the red dot sight due to weight. I did notice a little slip in the hop up unit towards the end of the day, but it was slight and was corrected in play without issue. In addition it accepts most mid caps, unlike the two other models mentioned above.

Awesome! Glad it worked out well! Yea, After all the time, effort and money I spent on mine, I was thinking I might as well just bought the KA version. But after doing some more research on the KA, turns out people seem to have a plethora of problem with theirs so I'm glad I ended up getting this one!

What kind of mags do you guys use? I had no luck with std TM midcap and ka plastic mid-caps. The mags that came with the gun misfed in full auto though. Found some cheap china Pmags that seem to work.

One thing to note is that the screw that retains the stock to the upper reciever often comes loose and the stock will start to wobble. Remember to loctite this!

I have a number of midcaps made by a company called S.ARMS Co Ltd, from Korea. What makes them interesting is that they hold 160 BB's! They feed flawlesley in my 556, also I use the Mag 170 round mids, these work also. These are all made from metal.

When I had my Massada I had some Magpul P mags which held about 120 BB's, these never seemed to work in any AEG so I sold them! In fact I have never had much luck with any plastic midcaps.

For Hicaps I now exclusively use Lonex flash mags. These work perfectly in every M4 type AEG, in fact they work so well I dumped the boxmag for my M249 and ran with these!

After looking back at photo's of Crackisbad's 556 I decided to add a bit of paint etc before using it next, here are the pics :)post-23677-0-79140800-1338983913_thumb.jpgpost-23677-0-31982700-1338983980_thumb.jpgpost-23677-0-67705800-1338984052_thumb.jpg

I hope the pictures have come out ok, this is my first attept!

Both lenses of the scope still have masking compound in place so may not look quite right.

• 2 weeks later...

One issue I have noticed is that the lower receiver halves are begining to ease apart around the magwell. One consequence of this is the previously secure midcaps drop out easily, also my hi-caps are very loose.

I scraped paint away from the mating surfaces, applied epoxy glue and clamped the halves together. When dry I applied a small recanglular piece of plasticard and bonded in place for extra support. This seems to have cured the problem,it is somewhat reminiscent of problems with the TM MP5.