Tokyo Marui AN PEQ-16 battery box

5588257775_ae84693ef8.jpg

Sometimes all you want is a battery box without all the bells and whistles, and if you happen to want the very latest version of the PEQ (currently being issued to US troops) then you will be looking for a PEQ-16 replica.

At the moment there isn't a PEQ-16 replica that is both a battery box AND has working lamp and laser pointer (though there is supposed to be one coming out this month from a Chinese manufacturer). But as I said, if it's really just a battery box you want which looks like a PEQ-16 then the Tokyo Marui replica is worth a look.

The nifty thing about the TM box is that it includes a nicely designed extension piece which give you a choice of using smaller LiPo batteries - and thereby keeping the PEQ-16 replica in it's true RS dimensions - or by inserting the extra bit of plastic you can go for a slightly longer 8.4 volt mini NiMH battery.

I tracked down the correct sized 8.4 volt battery at the Component-shop.co.uk, it cost £11.96 (plus postage). This mini battery has the following dimensions: 107mm long, by 34mm wide, by 17mm deep. It fits snugly into the extended battery box and the connector can be pulled through a small hole in the bottome of the battery box.

5588257535_30d52daa1b.jpg

Above: A standard 8.4 volt battery (top) compared to the mini 8.4 that will fit in teh extended TM PEQ-16 battery box. The smaller capacity does mean you may have to change battery during the day but at least the TM replica makes it very easy to access the battery during a change.

Now the main bone of contension with this cool looking and very well made replica with be it's price - £42.99 Wolf Armouries (UK) or $54.60 from Hong Kong - particularly as it does not feature working laser or lamp! My take on this is that I did *just* want a battery box and I didn't want any gimmicks that would draw on the limited capacity of teh mini 8.4 volt battery - others will certainly disagree.

At this time the closest all in one PEQ (battery box AND working illumination) is the Battleaxe PEQ-15 replica, so take your choice. I personally very specifically wanted a PEQ-16 replica.

As I say, build quality is just what you would expect from Tokyo Marui - in particular I appreciated the very good quality printed labels that were already attached to the unit. Unlike the cheap 'stick them on yourself' stickers you get with cheap Chines clones the TM labels didn't look like they would fade or peel after just a couple of outings.

5588852080_77d16a9479.jpg

Above: Bit of a snug fit, but at least there is no rattle! You can see how I opted to pull the power lead through INTO the box via the little access hole in the bottom of the battery box. This means I don't have to disguise the obvious connectors - I will just wrap the exposed wiring with some black electricians tape to make them less obvious.

I will probably feel a bit sick if the forthcoming Chinese clone - with working illumination - looks anywhere close to the TM model (as it will no doubt be just half the price). But that doesn't mean I will regret buying the TM one, as I said earlier I really don't want to waste the limited battery power on a laser and lamp that which were more for show anyway.

I am willing to conceed that others will think I have been a sucker with this purchase - but it does make me smile in that Geardo way when I look at it on my AEG! ;)

5335915749_0b42cf07fc.jpg

Above: If you do decide to go with LiPo then this is the size of the unit without the extension piece fitted.

5336584392_73609c0ccd.jpg

Above: Here you can plainly see the little access hole in teh bottom of this unit. It is a tight squeeze for the mini Tamya connector.

Info on the RS AN/PEQ-16:

The Insight Technology AN/PEQ16 Mini Integrated Pointer Illuminator Module (MIPIM) replaces the PEQ15 Advanced Target Pointer Illuminator Aiming Light (APTIAL) on US small arms overseas. While most troops currently carry a separate rail mounted flashlight to provide illumination when searching caves or houses, the integration of the flashlight into this design along side a IR lluminator combines two of the most highly used tools in a single package. [soldiersystems.net]

Edited by Milgeek
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...