airsoft vs paintball

fabien

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we'd be correct in calling all paintballers a bunch of dayglo gimp gear wearing elitist pr*cks then?

I'm not here to start a mud throwing fest, i'm just telling what paintball can offer that airsoft can't.

I'm not here to start a mud throwing fest, i'm just telling how it is and why people switch from airsoft to paintball.

Again must be a Denmark thing as over here it is the other way round because:

Airsoft is cheaper.

More variety.

More option in terms of kit, ammo and weapons.

Better community (its true, not being baised here).

More options for how you want to play like period games and milsim.

'FireKnife'

I'm not here to start a mud throwing fest, i'm just telling what paintball can offer that airsoft can't.

If you'd ended your previous post with 'in my country' rather than the sweeping generalisation without any qualifing statements, I wouldn't have made one back

You're not here to start a mud throwing fest?

Then why on earth did you say that all Airsoft players whine and cry, and that they all lie and cheat? That sounds like a damn fine way to start a mud throwing fest to me...

I have to disagree almost entirely with your comment. Yes, there are some whiners and cheaters in Airsoft, but then that is the same with any sport... I've watched videos of paintball players getting hit, and smashing their gun to bits out of sheer anger that they got shot... Or players who've got right up in some ones face and screamed at them until a marshal pulled them away.

I also disagree with your suggestion that Airsofters change to paintball because they want a game with more depth... Arena/Tournament Paintball is just "CHARGE". Woodsball is EXACTLY the same as a normal Airsoft Game, and Paintball Milsim is EXACTLY the same as Airsoft Milsim.

You're not here to start a mud throwing fest?

Then why on earth did you say that all Airsoft players whine and cry, and that they all lie and cheat? That sounds like a damn fine way to start a mud throwing fest to me...

Ah, well, ignore it if you disagree :)

It's more of a feeling that people get at some point. It's that feeling which makes them switch to PB.

I have to disagree almost entirely with your comment. Yes, there are some whiners and cheaters in Airsoft, but then that is the same with any sport... I've watched videos of paintball players getting hit, and smashing their gun to bits out of sheer anger that they got shot... Or players who've got right up in some ones face and screamed at them until a marshal pulled them away.

Indeed.

And that's the difference between paintball and airsoft. Paintball is about points. You can always ignore the crying and keep on playing for the win.

Can't really do that in airsoft. Shouldn't either; airsoft is for fun with people.

I also disagree with your suggestion that Airsofters change to paintball because they want a game with more depth... Arena/Tournament Paintball is just "CHARGE".

Hmmm...no.

Ask anybody who play both airsoft and tourney, and they'll tell you the same.

Hmmm...no.

Erm....yes.

In the UK Tournament paintball is team charges, quick and over in minutes, nothing more than that, in an arena filled with big blow up barricades.

'FireKnife'

Indeed.

And that's the difference between paintball and airsoft. Paintball is about points. You can always ignore the crying and keep on playing for the win.

Can't really do that in airsoft. Shouldn't either; airsoft is for fun with people.

Funny, because I ignore all the whiners whenever I airsoft. I've encountered very few airsofters as you describe them its common amongst first timers and arrogant players but of all the airsoft sites I frequent I know 2 players who fall in to the description you gave and they are easily ignored. For you to say all airsofters are like that is assanine.

I'm not going to say what [paintballers are like because i don't play it for the simple reason that I like the look of airsoft guns and all the kit available...thats it, not because of tactics or whatever, simply because of aesthetics.

However, someone who posts on an airsoft forum accusing all airsofters everywhere of being a bunch of whiners and cry babies who will one day realise paintball is more realistic etc. doesn't make me view the paintballer community with much favour. I'm surprised your comments have been met with the calm, logical responses as I simply glossed over your initial post as that of an internet troll.

I'm surprised your comments have been met with the calm, logical responses as I simply glossed over your initial post as that of an internet troll.

Often is the way on Arnies unless you make a truly unjustafiable comment then you will recieve mild abuse. We are not like other forums that jump on the 'quick lets call him an *albatross* and get him out of the hobby' bandwagon.

'Firenife'

It's more of a feeling that people get at some point. It's that feeling which makes them switch to PB.

I disagree with that, I rarely ever see an airsofter switch to paintball out of the opinion that paintball is better. Just about most airsofters will tell you that. Those who started and switched to airsoft, usually stick with it.

I think you're misreading it. Not all airsofters are jerks, of course, in fact it's only a few here and there. However, none are really interested in improving their game or sinking serious time into it.

------------------------------------------------------------

Erm....yes.

In the UK Tournament paintball is team charges, quick and over in minutes, nothing more than that, in an arena filled with big blow up barricades.

'FireKnife'

Yes, in the same way that that boxing is about "hitting the other guy" and soccer is about "kicking the ball".

Or formula 1 about "driving faster than they other drivers".

Funny, because I ignore all the whiners whenever I airsoft. I've encountered very few airsofters as you describe them its common amongst first timers and arrogant players but of all the airsoft sites I frequent I know 2 players who fall in to the description you gave and they are easily ignored. For you to say all airsofters are like that is assanine.

Arrogant! Yes, that's the right word. :)

People with a platecarrier and 2 years experience think they're the hot *suitcase* until they meet a good player. Then they get mad when they can't run over the same noob team time after time.

The better you play, the bigger the effect.

However, someone who posts on an airsoft forum accusing all airsofters everywhere of being a bunch of whiners and cry babies who will one day realise paintball is more realistic etc. doesn't make me view the paintballer community with much favour. I'm surprised your comments have been met with the calm, logical responses as I simply glossed over your initial post as that of an internet troll.

Yes im sorry, i could probably have formulated it better :)

I do not represent the paintball community, nor do i want to.

I did never say "realise paintball is more realistic". That's just wrong.

I disagree with that, I rarely ever see an airsofter switch to paintball out of the opinion that paintball is better. Just about most airsofters will tell you that. Those who started and switched to airsoft, usually stick with it.

Well maybe you haven't played long enough to see it happen, or your area is different. Probably the latter, geographical sizes are different over there.

Ok as a current airsoft player and a former 12 year paintballer, i will say "ohh hell no".

Awesome! =)

Did you play in many biggames? :)

heres the paintball record

A new Guinness World Record for the longest accurate paintball shot was recorded on April 9th by Andrew Turner using Dark Blast Paintballs shot through an Angel Fly SE with a distance of 72.02m.

Angels are among the most under-rated gun (at least around here) and they actually perform pretty well, they are absolutely consistant compared to other guns at the same price range.

Anyway, you should also clarify that, in order to achieve that distance, they lob shot, which is pretty common in paintball as the ballistics of the pellet allow you to get some quite predictable parabolic trajectories, you end up shooting something that is more similar to a catapult than a gun. You can't just aim straight and shot up to 72m with a regular pb gun, only the tiberius first strike has achieve that, physic won't allow the typical .68 pellet to get that far, even if set it beyond 300FPS (which isn't allow almost anywhere as it can actually destroy a paintball mask) it'd be of no use as the balls get absolutely unpredictable pass the 350-380FPS (and yes, I've tested that myself rigorously).

I think you're misreading it. Not all airsofters are jerks, of course, in fact it's only a few here and there. However, none are really interested in improving their game or sinking serious time into it.

Well maybe you haven't played long enough to see it happen, or your area is different. Probably the latter, geographical sizes are different over there.

That's totally wrong. There are plenty of enthusiasts' here that think about and do improve their game, more so, sink serious time into it. For most of us that carry on airsoft, the thing we spend alot of our money and time on is our guns. There are many many teams out there that take their "game" to the next level. Hell, there are several dedicated teams of people that hold grand scenario gaming, all throughout the world for airsoft. Paintball has nothing near to that level, sorry to say.

As for your second comment. How can you say someone hasn't played long enough to have a say out of their experience. You don't know how often I play and/or for that matter how long I have been playing airsoft. I've been doing it long enough to be able to make such a claim as I have.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but you do come off a bit biased, you also seem to rub others the wrong way with how you're wording yourself IMO.

How much time do you think most people sink into anything. They sink as much as they want to. A casual player will sink less time into it than a milsim player but that is neither here nor there. You cannot quantify how much a person enjoys how they play the game, its entirely subjective.

As for improving their game... Surely this occurs each time you play. You encounter new players, new game ideas, new sites, new angles of attack or defence. You improve at airsoft as you do with anything over time. I know for a fact that when i started airsofting i was very impatient, whereas today i will happily wait all day for someone to shoot at. I would also argue that as each person delves deeper into the game they find new kit, guns, sweeties that they enjoy and has a positive affect on their game. I used to use PLCE then found something more to my liking, now i have moved on again, at each stage i sink time and effort into researching new things and sinking my hard-earned cash into buying them.

Could you please provide some examples of how we have got it so wrong?

Yes, in the same way that that boxing is about "hitting the other guy" and soccer is about "kicking the ball".

Or formula 1 about "driving faster than they other drivers".

in the same way paintball is about shooting the other team, and airsoft is about shooting the other team. what is your point here?

Arrogant! Yes, that's the right word. :)

People with a platecarrier and 2 years experience think they're the hot *suitcase* until they meet a good player. Then they get mad when they can't run over the same noob team time after time.

The better you play, the bigger the effect.

People with the latest hopper think they are hot *suitcase* and then get mad when some noob has been hiding around a corner and pops them as they go past. There is elitism in everything, it is not confined to airsoft or paintball.

Yes im sorry, i could probably have formulated it better :)

I do not represent the paintball community, nor do i want to.

But you are representing paintball equally as we are representing airsoft. Why come on here unless you were representing paintball, unless as stated above you are just trolling for fun?

Maybe just maybe our two countries are completely different and airsoft and paintball are run in totally different ways. Have you played much airsoft in the uk?

So your arguments went from this:

I wasrefering to all airsofters.

to this:

I thinkyou're misreading it. Not all airsofters are jerks, of course, in fact it'sonly a few here and there.

and from this:

I don't seeanything indicating it should be different in other countries.

to this

Well maybeyou haven't played long enough to see it happen, or your area is different.

Not exactly rock solid arguments IMHO.

Think that brings the total up to around 5-6 people that have picked his arguement apart and all argee that this person has no real idea what he is talking about.

Hate to say it but if you had formulated things and worded them a bit better, not a pop at you as you are not English, then maybe you would have got across less of an accusing post. Unless you wished to accuse us all of these things, in which case why are you on here, i am sure you will find other forums (which i won't name to be fair) to your liking.

'FireKnife'

That's totally wrong. There are plenty of enthusiasts' here that think about and do improve their game, more so, sink serious time into it. For most of us that carry on airsoft, the thing we spend alot of our money and time on is our guns. There are many many teams out there that take their "game" to the next level. Hell, there are several dedicated teams of people that hold grand scenario gaming, all throughout the world for airsoft. Paintball has nothing near to that level, sorry to say.

As for your second comment. How can you say someone hasn't played long enough to have a say out of their experience. You don't know how often I play and/or for that matter how long I have been playing airsoft. I've been doing it long enough to be able to make such a claim as I have.

I'm not trying to attack you here, but you do come off a bit biased, you also seem to rub others the wrong way with how you're wording yourself IMO.

There are?

Were are they hiding? The only semi-competent players i've seen online (outside denmark) are the Airsoft GI dudes and ofc various asian players.

If you find them, please send them to Denmark. Most of ours switched to paintball :(

I'm not into the recball scene, so i wouldn't know. The international tourney scene is pretty big though.

How much time do you think most people sink into anything. They sink as much as they want to. A casual player will sink less time into it than a milsim player but that is neither here nor there. You cannot quantify how much a person enjoys how they play the game, its entirely subjective.

As for improving their game... Surely this occurs each time you play. You encounter new players, new game ideas, new sites, new angles of attack or defence. You improve at airsoft as you do with anything over time. I know for a fact that when i started airsofting i was very impatient, whereas today i will happily wait all day for someone to shoot at. I would also argue that as each person delves deeper into the game they find new kit, guns, sweeties that they enjoy and has a positive affect on their game. I used to use PLCE then found something more to my liking, now i have moved on again, at each stage i sink time and effort into researching new things and sinking my hard-earned cash into buying them.

Agreed. That's my point; airsoft players don't want to spend the same amount of time on airsoft as PB players on PB.

Yes, people improve from playing, but only very little compared to focused training.

Something easy that everyone can do is train a couple of hours a week with a buddy, just gunbattling corner to corner.

Could you please provide some examples of how we have got it so wrong?

It's really a bit OT in airsoft vs PB, but ok, a few quick ones:

1: Don't get fooled by what people do in the military. Most tacticool things don't work in airsoft.

2: Get a gun that can make a headshot at 50m (precision is the keyword here).

3: Look at what gear you buy and why you need it. Does it extend your capabilities or is it just redundant.

4: Train hard.

5: Analyze how you play (to the smallest of details) and come up with ideas to improve whereever you can.

6: Practise as a team.

7: Left, right, low or high. Treat it all as equal and don't favor one thing over another.

in the same way paintball is about shooting the other team, and airsoft is about shooting the other team. what is your point here?

That's exactly it. Everything can be labeled as simple when it really isn't.

People with the latest hopper think they are hot *suitcase* and then get mad when some noob has been hiding around a corner and pops them as they go past. There is elitism in everything, it is not confined to airsoft or paintball.

I haven't noticed the same trend in paintball. Maybe in recball or similar, but on the supair field players use 99% the same gear and prioritize skills over gear.

But you are representing paintball equally as we are representing airsoft. Why come on here unless you were representing paintball, unless as stated above you are just trolling for fun?

Don't be fooled by things that i post, im still im still playing airsoft.

I need posts so i can scam people in the classifieds :D

No, just bored. Thought i could expand on what paintball can offer. There seems to be no tourney players posting here. Bit of a shame. Noticed the same trend in another thread that touched on PB.

I'm posting controversial thoughts about PB on an airsoft forum. It's easy to label it trolling :)

Maybe just maybe our two countries are completely different and airsoft and paintball are run in totally different ways. Have you played much airsoft in the uk?

I've watched a shitload of videos from the UK, and players there doesn't seem any different from the average airsoft skirmisher here.

Small details like weapon velocities and the liberal use of pyro are different, but nothing game changing or a difference in skillsets.

I'm pretty sure tourney pb is the same, since it's an international thing, and UK has multiple teams in Millenium.

I haven't, but I'd like to, though, and i've often pondered taking a weekend trip there with a few people along. I really like England =)

Especially with the often low flight prices.

The main thing putting me off is the admission prices; they're quite steep compared to here.

So your arguments went from this

<snip>

I looked at your location flag and thought about it again. I can imagine some of the more rural areas in USA have a very hard time providing opportunities for supair players. Not the same problem in UK or europe in general.

There are?

Were are they hiding? The only semi-competent players i've seen online (outside denmark) are the Airsoft GI dudes and ofc various asian players.

If you find them, please send them to Denmark. Most of ours switched to paintball :(

Ok so as you have said later in your last post, you have not played outside of denmark and not experienced a different culture to airsoft other than your own consisting of OMGWTFAMSOL££TDOINGITRITE M4AMBESTEST. You say you have watched videos of exactly the same thing go look in the videos thread on this forum and see how much of that behaviour you actually view.

Agreed. That's my point; airsoft players don't want to spend the same amount of time on airsoft as PB players on PB.

Yes, people improve from playing, but only very little compared to focused training.

Something easy that everyone can do is train a couple of hours a week with a buddy, just gunbattling corner to corner.

No you have totally ignored my point and assumed it was in agreement with you. you cannot make such sweeping generalisations about a community of people. It may be your opinion, it may be in your experience, but i think that several people have now provided you with a plethora of examples as to how airsofters spend plenty of time on x,y or z. Aside form this why are you pushing the issue so much with regards to how much time people spend on 'getting better'? Surely if people want to train or do drills then they will but it is an entirely personal choice. Not to mention people do have other hobbies and interests, as well as personal and professional life eating up their time. I find that airsofting twice a month is more than enough for me and my skill set.

1: Don't get fooled by what people do in the military. Most tacticool things don't work in airsoft.

3: Look at what gear you buy and why you need it. Does it extend your capabilities or is it just redundant.

5: Analyze how you play (to the smallest of details) and come up with ideas to improve whereever you can.

7: Left, right, low or high. Treat it all as equal and don't favor one thing over another.

1: Do not be fooling into thinking that everyone plays in the mindset of a military serviceman, i play for FUN.

2: Not sure if thats a for or against argument but yea airsoft guns can do that.

3: Yea i think that is exactly how progression works, you assess what you need with what you have, then research something that would do the job better if you are unhappy with what you already have.

4: Gameplay is training? thinking about/talking about a particular game with a friend is training?

5: As with point four, you usually find that walking back after the end of a game you will talk to the guys on the other team about where they were, who they could see etc. And on a personal side players will always be thinking about how they can try not to get shot next time.

6: Well teams will do this but the majority of airsofters are much more relaxed due to the locations of sites so may be a member of three or four teams, so its more a case of communication on the day than anything else.

7: ? not sure what you are getting at there i shoot both lefty and righty?

I am not sure where you are going with this point as fireknife was explaining how a certain flavour of paintball played out in the uk. which then moved orto f1, and fotball, with me then making the point that in airsoft and pb you have to shoot the other guys. Are you of the train of thought that one is more complex than the other?

I haven't noticed the same trend in paintball. Maybe in recball or similar, but on the supair field players use 99% the same gear and prioritize skills over gear.

I think that pinatball in general has less options with regards to kit as all you need to carry for comps is ammo. Also as i have mentioned earlier in the reply, you keep making or implying that paintballers have a better skill set that airsofters who just depend on their gear to get them through. Which as we all know is not the case. Some players are jsut better than others whilst some must become skilled over time. I think that airsofters have the worst of it, simply because there is so much choice out there it is easy for new players to become confused at what to get. But then that is why both sports have fourms and discussions about any and everything.

I'm posting controversial thoughts about PB on an airsoft forum. It's easy to label it trolling :)

It would be a controversial debate if only you addressed our points as opposed to brushing then off with an unsubstantial counter-point. Hence why you appear to be a troll as you persist in your own agenda without really engaging in the conversation.

I've watched a shitload of videos from the UK, and players there doesn't seem any different from the average airsoft skirmisher here.

Small details like weapon velocities and the liberal use of pyro are different, but nothing game changing or a difference in skillsets.

I'm pretty sure tourney pb is the same, since it's an international thing, and UK has multiple teams in Millenium.

As i have said watch some of the videos in the video thread here, yo may well not see any different skill sets on the video but you may see less of what you have experienced.

I haven't, but I'd like to, though, and i've often pondered taking a weekend trip there with a few people along. I really like England =)

Especially with the often low flight prices.

The main thing putting me off is the admission prices; they're quite steep compared to here.

From what i can gather you may well want to look into it, your opinions may well change if you participate and have that new experience. Out of interest how much do you pay for the walk on fee, gun hire, ammo etc over there?

There are?

If you find them, please send them to Denmark.

Check out scoutthedoggie's youtube channel

I'm not into the recball scene, so i wouldn't know. The international tourney scene is pretty big though.

So you don't play recreationally, yet make decisions and post disparaging opinions on recrational paintball and airsoft?

Um, RECREATION. I work for a living, and can only play at weekends( and not always every game day either much to my disappointment) I CANNOT sink the time into the hobby I'd like to due to having bills to pay. As you seem to makea living at paintball it's probably different for you but 99% of the people on this AIRSOFT forum (it's in the name) play airsoft as a past-time and don't make a living at it.

Try 'gunbattling corner to corner' outside of a site in the UK and your *albatross* will wind up in jail

Breaching drills work, fire and movement works, concealment techniques work, ambush drills can work, I'm not sure what your point it there

You'll find that 50m is a loooong way in woodland and most people won't bother to fire at more than 30m, unless they are snipers, also yet to see a paintball game, on youtube or ANYWHERE else, where the engagement range is longer than 15m. So again, what's your point?

Yeah thats common sense for ANYONE tho

Again I and 99% of people on here treat it as a hobby and can't invest the amount of time organised training requires

Play for FUN mean anything to you? Half of the fun is making mistakes and learning from them WHILE PLAYING

Again TIME SINK

Huh?

Oh but EVERYTHING is simple when you reduce it to simple steps, that's how the military teaches complex drills. Please try to avoid trying to look like some zen master of tactics when they can teach ANYONE to be as proficient as a frontline soldier

Don't be fooled by things that i post, im still im still playing airsoft.

Yet you are evangelising about paintball?

I need posts so i can scam people in the classifieds :D

Nice, lets watch the mods reset your post count

No, just bored. Thought i could expand on what paintball can offer. There seems to be no tourney players posting here. Bit of a shame. Noticed the same trend in another thread that touched on PB.

yet you persisted in posting the same thing again with the same result and wondered why that would be? Different country, different sport, different mindset.

No problem with controversial thoughts, if you continuosly avoid answering points people have raised though, it becomes trolling, and gems like 'I was referring to ALL airsoft players' don't help your case.

I looked at your location flag and thought about it again. I can imagine some of the more rural areas in USA have a very hard time providing opportunities for supair players. Not the same problem in UK or europe in general.

As he was pointing out the problems and inconsistencies in what you had posted what does that have to do anything?

airsofters don't train?

What about the stirling sas selection course thing or the reconda training school events?

We at my site are getting in urban protection specialists to run training days hopefully, we run training days at the site where people can rock up with their team and work on things like room clearance and breaching.

I spend time on reload practicing, tuning my own gear to a setup which works for me, shot placement, I practice sight use etc in the garden plus practice at the range.

reading mil handbooks on breaching and fibua drills plus I have run through drills with ex service friends in the same area, which shows weaknesses in my thinking.

Train for fitness to be a better airsofter because I am faster and have better endurance.

Airsoft can be very competative and challenging.

and dude you are trolling sorry but... unverifyable comments, hyperbole, arrogance and dodging counterpoints, you are trolling well but not well enough to get abuse.

I think jal3 that you need to come to the UK and spend a day at one of the FAO sites or one of the other long standing sites and see how they play and you will be suprised, just don't go somewhere like GZ as it is a hot bed for bad players, not the sites fault but the fault of the idiots that run around it and spread stupid ideas.

But either way this 'lack of good players' sounds like it is an issue that only affects you and the sites you attend, maybe try changing the people you play with than making the claims you have.

'FireKnife'

There are?

Again, you are talking about airsoft for your own region and speaking for the rest. It doesn't work like that. Every player in airsoft will thake their "game" to different levels. Some are as serious as others, some are. I for one, like to consider myself a serious player. Many of us posting here are. Some people have alot of time to pour into the sport and many others don't, even though they want to. It's a time and money thing. However, don't think for a moment there aren't players who do rigorously train and play. Some even on a daily basis.

Now to address the list you made there.

Most military tactics can work for airsoft, but alot of them require special equipment that aren't available in airsoft or that most people don't have. Some require the use of explosives, armored vehicles and sometimes just a coordinated assault between teams or groups.

Most guns can shoot out to 50m accuratly. Unless you're looking at some really crappy guns. There are alot of guns, particularly sniper rifles that can go out to 100m accuratly. So I don't see your point here, paintball guns certainly can't boast that.

Gear isn't absolutley neccessary, but it does help, depending on what you buy. It's also an apeal that many players try to combine with tactical use. Most military gear can't be used for paintball, that's for sure.

Alot of airsofters do train hard, sometimes more than the latter.

Again, I had made my point about that.

Same for 4 and 5.

What? Elaborate that one.

Archived