Replica guns to be banned [sales/import]

oikoik

I don't know if this has been put forward, but I searched the pages and it didn't register.

Shouldn't UKASGB be brought into this in some way? Or am I just being clueless because I'm really not sure what's going on...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't UKASGB be brought into this in some way? Or am I just being clueless because I'm really not sure what's going on...

WTF for?

They haven't exactly ever done anything at all other than organise skirmish sites into a cartel.

If there is anybody actually in charge of the ASUKGB then I'd be willing to bet that they are phoning the various paintball franchises to enquire about new paintball sites as we speak.

Don't forget, the ASUKGB is there to ensure the welfare of SITE OPERATORS and OWNERS. Not players.

AKAPA / UKAPF might have had a chance, but got shot apart by a certain minority in the game, the short sighted dimwits that they are. UNITED we STAND. Divided, we're getting stomped.

Nuff said.

So, slightly tangentially, where do air-rifles etc. fall under this legislation? From my understanding of all this stump-jumping governmental gibberspeak, anything that looks like a gun to a non-"expert" will be classed as a firearm.

Reading elsewhere in the paperwork, since "realistic replica" now appears to mean anything that looks like an existing _type_ of firearm, anything vaguely the right shape is fair game for jail time. How many cityfolks can tell the diference between an air-rifle used for pest control and the high powered sniper rifle that the hero just used to gun down 30 or so human beings in the movie they were watching with their 12 year old the night before.

Sometimes I wonder why I came back to the UK. . . :blink:

Hi Guys i juyst read this on the bbc website

"These guns can be bought perfectly legally but they can be converted using tools you can buy at a DIY shop. We have been trying for years to get them banned"

Detective who worked on the case

Surely airsoft weapons would explode being plastic with any sort of round in them. Even the metal bodyied weapons would be far too dangerous even to comprehend using these as a basis for a real firearm. In my opinion the age limit is a good idea as 18 you have mostly grown up showing off to your mates "Ohh my guns bigger then yours" "Look i scare old ladies with mine etc" i Think its sick why cant they grow up, If they were looking down a real muzzle they would be on the floor crying "mummy" If they want a replica handgun they should respect the sport and the responsabilities that come with it.

I mean to be fair i used to go out with a few friends around my area to a secluded bit of farmland which we played on before Firefight Dover came along. Which is in fact a lot more fun, withought the fear of ARU coming along.

In Conclusion I love the sport and support the age limit.

This is the problem - The anti-replica lobby simply lump ALL replicas into one category - They are able to frighten people and some are able to be modified into real guns (the some is always rather softly spoken).

There is a FEAR factor, which cannot be ignored, but only a pillock would believe that people interested in intimidating someone with a replica gun won't simply find an alternative.

Having heard that REAL guns are available on the black market for £50, I can't really see why such people would spend £150 on a WA... But, hey, why let FACTs get in the way of a publicity stunt to cover the fact that parts of our inner cities are becoming no-go areas (anyone spot the news report on the fire stations being closed down because they were fired on - Not by BB totting kids, either...)

Cheers

Exactly, snowman. As has been said countless times before, criminalising those with legitimate uses for the things won't actually solve the problem because the real criminals don't obey the bloody laws in the first place!

How can the people in Government not grasp this extraordinarily simple concept?

I can see a VERY big influx of people moving to the Isle of Man. :D

But if it cost say $600 for a glock, and only £70 for an airsoft (which can be converted according to them), why havent glock picked up on this and start making huge..er profits.

However, there is still time for the bill to be tweaked and changed so anything can happen.

So to sum up it seems that there'll be a clamp down on all weapons replica or not, nut not a ban on organised and reputable sellers.  Thats how i see it anyway.  Anyone agree?

Nope, there's nothing in the Bill that says decent retailers will get a "get out of jail free" card...

Are they going to stop 13 year old kids joining the cadets and shooting live ammo on a range, and then going out and shooing a friend in the face with a blank round? that can do more damage, if not the same, as an upgraded AEG.

We should also remember, this act has to get parliamentary approval, so if you want an issue raised with an MP, get onto it right away. There are too many suggestions on the best way to approach the subject of an imitations ban. We just need to be sure that the current classification of an AEG is transferred over. I am not a solicitor, so I don't want to read the act as I don't wish to misinterpret it.

I will be the fool who imports a gun after the ban and gets locked up! :lol:

Thats the other thing, banning the import of AEG's will impact the economy, there will be less import tax collected (not that it will make a huge dent). All Airsoft retailers can use the federation of small business to help them, this implacates a human rights issue due the the potential loss of jobs, if this is going to directly affect airsoft.

Ive read the bill, it seems to suggest that you can own one and use it on sites but just not sell them or use in public so i think stockpiling is the key.

lol, yeah! I wonder how the bank would respond to "I need a loan to buy guns for my hobby/sport?"

I'm probably been paranoid, but anyone else get the feeling we're being airbrushed out, for all the numbers of airsofter that are outraged there wasn't a single reference to airsoft in the views expressed there.

And if it isn't an outright ban on anything resembling a table leg are bb's gonna be available still, or legal to import for that matter?

has anyone got a link to the actual bill rather than a summary? commonleader has a bad link to it

cheers mig

Copied from ASI

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...010/2006010.pdf

Specifically sections,

30 Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms

31 Specifications for imitation firearms

32 Supplying imitation firearms to minors

33 Increase of maximum sentences for possessing an imitation firearm

How long is it till the bill would get passed? Anyway if everyone here writes a letter to their MP outlining the absurdity of what theyre doing then maybe they might at least take a bit of note. Looking at the BBCs talking point many people seem to agree with us as well and so hopefully we at least have some support that might just sway them to see sense and not ban non-lethal weapons owned by responsible owners and merely crack down on the market sellers

Well chaps its time to get emailing your MPs and the PM for those of us considerably over the age of 18 its time to start asking questions like, Who's next? shotgunners? paintballers? the government are trying to divide and conquer they ultimately want a complete ban on anything they consider "non PC" time to get other minority sports onside.

Archived