Real Cap limits?

Darkstrike

8-10 Realcaps is not too shabby, depending on your weapon and playing style you might enjoy the game more.

I switched my 8 Sopmod mags to realcap because I don't shoot a lot, and with the 82 bbs per mags I was never reloading in combat. Kinda ruined the purpose of the Sopmod bolt lock feature.

With the 30bbs per mag I now have ... Its fun ;) And if I get killed, its not for lack of bbs.

Having played pistols for a while now i can say three things:

1. Lighten your rig to exactly what you need and can survive a game on, it may take a few games to find the right limit.

2. Get close and use a shot when you are assured of a hit, let the hi-cap users slug it out with each other and the you go out and get the flank kill. As you will be running a lighter loadout you will be more mobile.

3. Finally tune the gun, make it to the point that you can aim, click and hit rather than a few rounds of spray, no good being stealthy if the gun still needs half a mag to get a shot on target.

Oh and as a last note, use all available cover fire, let no-one give away your position and use other team mates as fodder, harsh but if it gets you a good hit wihtout wasting your rounds because said team mate is laying down suppresion on the enemy. Failing that get down and keep low so you can suprise players that don't expet you to be so far forward.

'FireKnife'

Most the MILSIM events these days are calling for midcaps or lowcaps for most rifles and only allowing hicaps for support weapons and not everyone of course can carry a support weapon in their team, which I feel is fair. The high rate of fire on most AEGs is going to run your mag dry very quickly if you're limited to 30 rounds.

In terms of how many magazines to carry in your loadout I suppose that really depends on what type of game you're playing. I believe 6 to 8 extra magazines is a fairly good reserve "rule of thumb". Remember doing combat reloads where you change out magazines may lead you to change out a magazine that still has rounds and that's where magazine management becomes critical (ie taking mags from dump pouch inbetween engagement or when sufficiently covered to repouch your magazines that may have rounds remaining). I think midcaps are a good way to go, but you should have lowcaps as well just in case the rules of the event where you are at call for them.

Anyone carrying more than 8 extra magazines has gone full retard in my opinion. There comes a point where you're just being counter-productive in bulking up your armor, plate carrier, or LBE to the point where going prone or climbing over obsticals becomes difficult. You don't want to look like the Goodyear Michelin man out there with so many mag pouches. Ideally your team should have a support gunner to put out large volume of suppressive fire when the situation calls for tossing a lot of BBs down range. Also your team should strive to have weapons that use the same brands of magazines so that you have interchangeable mags with team members (properly labeled to remember that it's your mag) so that if an individual member runs low on ammo someone can supplement him until he's able to reload his own. If you're a single guy doing pick-up games or a merc with no interest in team play though that's probably not an issue.

thing is im playing using a GBBR and thus its basically only real caps for me! lol. and because im in taiwan here they only seem to play 1 hit death and no respanwning. so i hardly even make it through 2 mags per 20 min game. however when i get back to the uk id like to get a feel for how many mags people use so i can buy them here cheaper lol. so the consensus seems to be 8 to 10? and make great use of covering fire and helpful passing support gunners?

thing is im playing using a GBBR and thus its basically only real caps for me! lol. and because im in taiwan here they only seem to play 1 hit death and no respanwning. so i hardly even make it through 2 mags per 20 min game. however when i get back to the uk id like to get a feel for how many mags people use so i can buy them here cheaper lol. so the consensus seems to be 8 to 10? and make great use of covering fire and helpful passing support gunners?

Often i say balance it out based on your physical ability. If you find it easier to run with more than 6 mags and can cope with the extra pouches and weight at high speeds then go for it, if you can't lighten the load and make do with less ammo, but take time on your shots and let other players slug it out while you get the flanks and the stealthy kills.

'FireKnife'

With my scar I run with 7 mags, 1 in the gun and two 3 mag pouches. I play 45min to 1 hour 30mins in a CQB environment and find that fine .. I have only ever been caught with my pants down reloading once so .. not a real issue as long as you know how many rounds are in the mag constantly.

The way I see it, this whole real-vs-mid-vs-high capacity mags nothing short of a pissing contest. It's true I used to participate in it too, bragging about how many guys I got with so little ammo. Often I'd attribute it to my awesome skillz. But looking at it from a more mature perspective (not saying I've matured much though), it boils down to what kind of person will have the most fun with what they use. Some like to spray and pray, emulating the vast capacities in video games. Some will see a hi-cap as essential to stay competitive in speedball matches. Then there's the milsim/role-play crowd who like the idea of ammo restriction as a form of making the simulation more real. What would happen is you'd get these people of similar interests divided into the different places they play in so game sites will have different rules that cater to the majority of the players tastes.

If you ask me, go with fewer mags than what you initially estimate. You might find yourself adequate enough with fewer mags and have wasted money in the extra few you don't get to use much if at all.

Around here, its "do the first part of the op for 5 hours, break for lunch, another 5 hours" type deal. Hence, usually carry about 10 mids and 4 or so high caps so I don't run out of ammo, as well as a loose bag of BBs and a speed loader. 3 or so mags for my secondary.

Realcaps only make sense if you're playing a 20 minute CQB game,

Archived