Ground Zero weekender 2011

joshcowin

I will be taking the weekender as I have for the last 3 years. With copious amounts of alcohol and minimum seriousness.

Looking forward to it.

Hear hear to this man! Im sorry if people are deciding not to come this year because of cheating, but when there is that amount of people at a site you are sure to notice it more then usual. I don't really care if someone doesn't want to take their hits because there are plenty of other targets to go for :)

I personally go every year because I love the atmosphere and meeting some crazy people. Its amazing fun and when you work as part of a team you can achieve a lot,its the best feeling when you are bringing an objective back to base.

The social side of it is something to be experienced,we always have a bit of music and everyone has a few drinks together. There's nothing like getting up in the morning feeling a bit rough and sweating alcohol for the first half of the day :)

If you want to go to the toilet without having to close your eyes and hold your breath then I suggest you rent your own portaloo. Its a lifesaver and brings a smile to your face when you watch 1400ish people trying to use the 20 or so public loos.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hoped you'd laugh _with_ me (I am a geardo, not the elitist kind, though).

I have no issue with you if you like gear :P

It is only if you think it gives you an excuse to be an elitist that i would laugh at you, mostly for missing the point of airsoft, community fun ;)

'FireKnife'

I still prefer my custom 58 rig, i have a Vietnam one and a Modern-ish one.

The Vietnam one i wear when at a classic game or VN day. The modern for everything else.

Either way still looking into song to use for the meet up on the weekend.

'FireKnife'

Nothing screams 'IM HERE!' like the 'RRIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPP' of velcro.

At GZ the sound of the n00b that gladly announces you and the rest of the team to the enemy by either talking loudly, saying stupid CoD phrases or using his bb bag / bottle as a rattle is going to be worse than a bit of velcro :P

Though i prefer poppers (not the sex-shop kind :P) as they are a single noise that is less likely to attract attention than a nice big rip.

'FireKnife'

Oh thats definitely true, but I can definitely see the advantage to the modded pouches if you're already in contact, nine times out of ten the enemy knows where you are, so the quicker mag changes are much more useful especially if you're part of a fire support group laying down the covering fire. That said, I have stuck with the standard PLCE buckles because of the massive rip you get as you said; I like to stay covert on patrol and I've mastered using them. Mag changes take about 15 seconds or so for me on the standard buckle. It could be worse - it could be fastex buckles!

15 seconds is seriously slow by modern standards, nothing against you it's just that times have changed and we no longer live in the era of cam cream, padding out your mess tins, grass in helmets and webbing buckles that need to be silent.

Obviously with open-topped pouches you lose the protection aspect and that's an issue in the desert in particular, but the sand's gonna find its' way in there eventually anyway, I've seen plenty of guys that ran WAS shingles in afghan and far as I know none of them died due to jammed magazines. As far as airsoft goes obviously it's up to you, but you can extract a magazine from a Shingle/TACO/10-speed pretty much instantly with zero noise, seems the logical choice to me.

It could be worse - it could be fastex buckles!

CLACK, funble, fumble, CLACK, ow, hit.

Basically why i stopped using them. However i find that if i get it right first time the enemy is only aware of my presence 75% of the time which is why i need a silent but secure pouch, and poppers work best for that. Though in my role if i have to do a mid combat reload something hasn't gone quite right :P

Obviously with open-topped pouches you lose the protection aspect and that's an issue in the desert in particular, but the sand's gonna find its' way in there eventually anyway, I've seen plenty of guys that ran WAS shingles in afghan and far as I know none of them died due to jammed magazines. As far as airsoft goes obviously it's up to you, but you can extract a magazine from a Shingle/TACO/10-speed pretty much instantly with zero noise, seems the logical choice to me.

If only a pistol alternative that wasn't 1: expensive or 2: made of plastic rather than cloth i would have such a thing on my pistol setups but i am limited to velcro or poppers really. Plus my loadout works as it is for the role i play.

I mean a support gunner isn't going to mind the velcro or the buckle if he is already making noise from his gun chugging away ;)

'FireKnife'

Q/R buckles have their place, I just recently bought a couple of these to go on to a MAV so that I'll finally have a dedicated rig for using with bolties and the 10/22 (and some sort of Garand whenever they show up) rather than dropping such small mags in to 556 STANAG pouches. If you're playing a supporting role like some kind of sharpshooter/marksman then obviously it won't matter as much, it's more the CQB assaulters and riflemen that are probably going to need to worry about speed and noise levels.

Anyway, the best hi-speed-on-a-budget pouches are probably the Blue Force Gear 10-Speeds, a double handgun pouch costs less than one HSGI pistol TACO and does the same thing, but can you get them here? Well of course not, that'd be silly; and of course having to import that sort of thing from the states is more money than most people want to spend.

Well of course not, that'd be silly; and of course having to import that sort of thing from the states is more money than most people want to spend.

Typical :P

However i plan to run as many loadouts as i can, have as much fun as i can, annoy all the mods that keep kicking us off their forum (joke), take pictures in game and generally make the most of my first weekender.

Though also it is a chance to put the odd face to name on here and get together and have a laugh etc.

'FireKnife'

@CrazyApe: Sounds over complicated to me mate, I get the feeling all that gear would weigh me down :P

Personally, I favour DPM 95 trousers, black tank top and my black fedora - with nothing but a £20 ACM shotgun.

Not just any £20 shotgun though. Its been modified with an extended inner barrel and M4 mag well. It now fires like a VSR-10 which is admiralable considering it is 1/6th of the price and never runs out of BBs thanks to its 300 rnds hicap mag.

KISS FTW!

I think they should rename the 'The Others' as 'The Arnies'. Then let put everyone on Arnies in the same team, lets face it, we would surely kick some Zero In *albatross*.

Have fun with those Warn points :P

Only joking but to be honest it would be class to see all the Arnies players go off, setup a nice few ambushes and then strike out at the Zero In players, both kicking *albatross* and dispelling the airsoft myths that they come up with ;)

However i can see any support for Arnies coming under heavy scrutiny, unless of course they realise that if they do try and stifle us we will never return, will be interesting to see this year.

'FireKnife'

I'm hoping I can get to my sniping spot from last year.

It was on a hill of ferns, overlooking a track and within visual range of one of the bases.

Plenty of kills. Took them a couple of hours to find me and flush me out. :)

Knowing my luck though, it'll be overlooking my own base this year.

I plan to get stuck in amongst those little areas around the bases, the ones the enemy advances into without looking as they are too busy taking said base or areato notice me picking them off from their own line one by one :P

That and i also have a plan to visit as many of the bases and big areas as i can in one day, if i have to i will use my dead time to move to another re-spawn that is on the other side and start in a new area, give me a chance to find somewhere else. Plus unlike some people i won't be telling everyone where the enemies are on my way there ;)

Now just to move and get my damnable payment sorted.

'FireKnife'

Archived