how to get the "Afghan and back" look

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

All looks good so far, I like the final look of the mags with the artificial grime on them. I seen this trick done on an SR-25 quite a while ago now and thought it looked pretty awesome also. It was at a time when not many, if any, folks at the local game sites were painting their kit so it really stood out from the crowd as something a bit more special.

Good work, keep at it...

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally did it. Was low on cash so couldn't really afford the paint :P I was going to try it on another project....with a metal body, but that project needs even more money. I figured hey no prob his PEQ is plastic. For a moment I thought that the thinner had warped the plastic G&G body but its the same on my other gun just never noticed the little wobble. Anyway forgot to take a before pic so just added the other in. I'll get better pics up in the battle worn thread.

DSC00391.jpg

So I caved and did this to my MK17 in order to get it looking like Mark Forester's (RIP) minus the EGLM. Have to say it turned out looking dirty as hell. ALthough I used rubbing alcohol instead of paint thinner as I know paint thinner has a tendency to melt plastics.

Mark Forester (RIP)

Mark-PBPRO-web.jpg

Mine- not the best pics, crappy lighting

DSC_2217.jpg

DSC_2218.jpg

DSC_2219.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

SR635Weathering1.jpg

SR635Weathering2.jpg

I gave the process a shot with khaki Krylon Camo paint and rubbing alcohol. Some areas turned out better than others, but I'm satisfied with this go around. I might try to redo the receiver portion, but as it's a PDW, it's not going to be as dirty as a M4A1.

-Piano

• 1 month later...

The result is actually good, nice guide.

I have a better way though.

1: Bind a piece of string to your rifle

2: Drag your rifle around in the driveway.

3: Apply as necessary to get that "used and dusty" look.

Or don't be afraid to use your weapon as a tool, then it'll look thrashed pretty quickly too.

I suppose if all one did in Afghanistan was standing guard duty, "there and back again" would be a bit of dust on the gun.

It's probably just me being old and bitter, i don't get this whole "i want to make it look used without being used" idea.

Dragging on your driveway won't get it dirty, it'll just beat it up. This process is for making it look dirty without having to deal with a extremely dirty replica. Playing with it in the field is what actually beats it up.

This is the same as burning paint on a silencer, the idea is to make it look abused before it actually is, for example my Mk17 would still look sparkly clean as I've played with it in the rain for the past 4 weeks, and before that it was brand new, an appearance I didn't want.

Nice work with the tutorial. My EMAGs look just like yours, except it's from taking a tumble in the dirt.

Most of this SAW has an Afhan-and-back paint job on top of whatever other colors I've sprayed things:

SDC10648.JPG

I used the same technique on the rails, but that's meant to look like "paint that's been mostly removed", not dirt. The Grip Pod is dirty from actual sandbox use, so I tried to match the stock to that.

The nutsack just looks way to clean and new, I'm thinking a dusting of khaki on the fabric could resemble actual dust?

It could, but on the other hand it sounds like you're building a $1 million dollar pen when you could just use a pencil... take off the cloth and run it through the dirt for a while! Mine has had that treatment and certainly looks about right.

I'm still jealous of that SAW, though.

Here's a plastic AK that I did up with a treatment similar to this:

AK47_0811_0024.jpg

I think you will find that I use my rifle at every available oppotunity, it is most certainly not unused! I did another artificial dust technique a while back which actually was making tan paint like dust and spreading it on the rifle. The trouble is it just comes off. The paint option is much better to give it that "LOOK"!

• 4 months later...

Yup, looks good Grar. Did you just finish it recently? What I did was let it sit for a few days, then went back with a rag and some mineral spirits again and gave it another rub down. That's what really helped me get past the "painted" look and into the actual worn look. A lot of it came from the "smearing" that happened when I went over it days later. It gave it a bit of a grime layer which really looks authentic.

Edit: It's a bit blurry, but here's a closeup of the receiver on the G&P I used to own. You can see on the flat surfaces like the magwell how it has a "film" almost on it.

img5336z.jpg

Archived