Contact drills

signal319

In my team we've got our contact drills for open ground and woodland pretty much nailed; we haven't been contacted on paths or other linear features much but they'd be pretty simple to handle to be honest. Not going to give them away though ;)

For urban though it's much more complicated. It's much more three-dimensional and so much harder to maintain control of my section's fire and enemy locations; trying to bring effective suppressive fire down is no easy task. How do you guys react to effective fire in or around an urban area? For us the norm would be to return fire, take cover and return appropriate fire, trying to get into any buildings if possible to find more cover. From there we'd drive the enemy off with a high volume of fire, bunkering down until we could force them back with a flanking attack, or bugging out and then fighting our way back to where we got contacted, moving forward from there.

For example. If you're in an area densely packed with multiple buildings close together, all moving down the side of one building, and your point man pokes his head around the corner and someone fires at him from the opposite corner of another building, how would you bring all your team's guns to bear on the enemy quickly and decisively? I wouldn't just want to leave my point man engaged in a lonely stand-off while everyone else mongs out stacked up waiting to be nailed from the side, doing nothing. It's just so hard to maintain momentum and give target indications when everyone is all over the place and there are multiple possible firing points, opportunities for ambush, etc.

(In my own team I usually take on the role of section commander, I do not just turn up to any old game day and start ordering people around!)

I'm just interested to know what people's reactions to effective enemy fire are, thinking of possibly modifying my team's tactics.

Often in the 'moving down one side team situation' you have put i would say move a person to the opposite wall (2) or side and get some covered fire on the assailant (3), allowing the pointman (1) to use the cover he has to watch out for any potential enemy (6) that is able to fire on the team mate that has just positioned himself, then use covering fire to work the team, watching each others backs, (1, 2, 4 and 5) back into the cover and away from the firefight, possibly to sneak around behind the enemy (7).

Like this:

unledxo.jpg

'FireKnife'

Archived