XM148

renegadecow

I was trying to dig up stuff about the triple-barreled launcher thing when i came across this monstrosity

The Gordon Close-Support Weapon System (Gordon CSWS) was an exotic firearm project of Australian origin.

A very unusual weapon system was proposed at one time Australian Duncan Gordon. It was assumed that the basis of this family of automatic weapons constitute a belt fed machine gun, automatic shotgun with box magazine and the double-barreled submachine gun with overhead inserted magazines (A laVillar-Perosa SMG) is very unusual configuration. Gordon has developed its weapons, based on personal combat experience gained in Vietnam, where he served in the forces of SEATO. Design drawings and the general conception of his ideas involved in the Australian company BSP Planning and Design Pty. Ltd. in Norwood. Led the team of engineers, Peter Chant. Work began in early 1970.

The system was developed by 1972, and drawings were accomplished by engineer Dale Evans. This system was a quick-barrel weapons, while the overall configuration has a mixture of ideas of the British EM-2, as well as WW2 platforms such as the German FG-42 and the US M1941 Johnson machine gun. Any type of weapon could be adapted to fire conventional rifle cartridges and 12 Gauge shotgun rounds. Automation system, applied in the arms of an identical pattern of patent 1.834.021 J. Destree, and used to solve problems by firing rifle bullets and shot with the same weapons sites.

Assault Shotgun

CSW-1.jpg

Battle Rifle/LSW

CSW-2.jpg

SMG (Double barrel gangsta grip!)

CSW-3.jpg

Assault rifle

CSW-4.jpg

Machine Shotgun?!?!

CSW-5.jpg

Not a relations of typewriter's was he?! They're quite incredibly ugly even by the standards of experimental weaponary. Interesting to see what was experimented with, the SMG reminds me of the tripple barrel salvo type guns that were experimented with (I recall both the USA and USSR had similar ideas).

I read an article on the operation of it a while back, from what I gleaned from that it sounded like it fired without manual cocking, each trigger pull firing a shell and then releasing the harmonica bit to move along one shell, it could, apparently fire off all three very rapidly but it tended to malfunction fairly quikly in the field and skipped the second shell. I'll try finding the article as it went into the operation in some detail, read it a while back though.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw something in a book and thought of this thread;

While I was flipping through the book 'Phantom Warriors' by Gary Linderer, I spotted a picture in the glossy photo section of a US Ranger in Vietnam holding a modified 'harmonica launcher.' Its not mentioned in the caption nor anywhere else in the book to my knowledge. Though the picture is small and blurry, its unmistakable. The stick of 40mms on the right side is more boxy looking, and there is a regular M79 ladder sight instead of the sight in the above prototype photo.

Thought someone might find this interesting in some way.

Archived