Madbull Noveske KFH

img4981b.th.jpg

Real Steel vs. Simulation Function

The real steel Noveske flashhider exists to aid in control of short-barrels rifles by directing gas forward. In airsoft, the Madbull Noveske KFH functions as an amplifier of sorts, utilizing two internal metal cones in conjunction with the flashhider’s tubular shape to both enhance the report of the rifle and to direct the sound downrange.

Madbull currently produces the KX3, another unit in the Noveske amplifier/flashhider line which is aesthetically different and has a slightly altered takedown, but functions in the same manner. Both the KFH and the KX3 are produced in 14mm positive (clockwise) and negative (anti-clockwise) versions and sells for an MSRP of $59.99.

Packaging

img4968i.th.jpg

The KFH came in a small, brown cardboard box with a Madbull graphic on the outside with pictures of the KFH and information about Noveske. Inside the box was the KFH, wrapped in a bubble wrap sleeve, as well as a small folded Madbull advertisement. It wasn’t too flashy of a package, but the unit was secure and undamaged, so I can’t complain.

Appearance

img4961kh.th.jpgimg4962.th.jpg

The KFH is constructed out of aluminum and comes in a matte black, olive drab, and khaki. I purchased the unit in black, and the matte finish is great. The paint hasn’t chipped from normal use, and the body definitely feels solid. The end has a gnarled grip, making disassembly easy.The flashhider has laser engravings on each side, with the Noveske logo, title, and a serial number on one side and the Noveske Fire Pig logo with John Noveske’s signature on the opposite side. The engravings are deep and well painted. The entire package really fits well; Madbull spared no expense in building a high quality replica of the KFH.

Functionality

The advertised purpose of the KFH is to amplify the report of the gun when firing, drowning out the whining whir of the motor and providing an intimidation factor on the opposite end of the muzzle. Obviously, the flashhider does draw more attention to you, so firing from a concealed location will not be as effective. However, I will later discuss where this amplification is beneficial.

The difference is audible, but I can’t say that it makes a huge difference. There is big change in the color of the sound; I can only describe it as less “whiny” and more of a metallic, punching sound. Downrange, the gun sounds louder; in my opinion, the gun not only sounds different but sounds closer, and I’ve seen reviews of the Madbull KX3 where people state that in games, they often force opponents in CQB to take cover or retreat from a greater distance thanks to the amplifier. Personally, I haven’t used it in a skirmish yet since the gun it’s on is undergoing construction, but based off my experience people will instinctively hide from closer, louder things.

Here's the waveform. The first three shots are my G&P Mk.18 Mod0 with a standard A2 birdcage flashhider. The last 6 shots are the same rifle with the KFH installed. Both were recorded with a simple single-directional microphone from a short distance of 1 ft for clarity.

waveform.jpg

Here's the spectral analysis of the A2 birdcage first, and then then the same number of shots from the KFH.

birdcagespectral.jpgkfhspectral.jpg

Disassembly

Taking the KFH apart for adjustment of the amplification cones is a breeze. Near the end of the flashhider is a metal ring holding preventing the cap from moving. Using a small tool, pry the ring out of the groove. Once the ring is raised, the gnarled end cap can be unscrewed. Once removed, the cone assembly will be accessible within the end cap. The two cones are separated by a rubber O-ring; pivoting the outer cone on this O-ring will open and close the slats cut in the cones. Having the inner and outer slats aligned will result in more amplification; closed slates result in less amplification, though the shape of the flashhider will still cause the sound to be projected in a different manner than a standard flashhider.

Overall

The Noveske KFH by Madbull is a solid piece of equipment that performs as advertised. It’s comes packaged nicely, it’s built correctly with great trademarks and engravings, and both the cool aesthetics and the functionality make the product worth owning. If you want to make your rifle look cool, especially for CQB, be sure to check out the KFH. With the availability of multiple colors and threading, you can find a KFH to fit any type of rifle.

img4977z.th.jpgimg4979s.th.jpgimg4983c.th.jpgimg4985r.th.jpgimg4989yq.th.jpg

Great review indeed - It's nice to see a lot of detail on something people wouldn't normally bother reviewing.

I've got G&P amps on my M7 and Car-15 - Not sure if they're adjustable, but they definitely change the sound, even if it's not technically louder. Much more defined 'Crack' at the muzzle end, which does help to drown out the gearbox noise. Sounds a lot more intimidating from the other end.

The waveforms are on a very large decibel range, so unless you're comparing a jet engine and a blender, you won't see a huge difference between the waveforms.

There is an audible difference, and I definitely believe the KFH performs as advertised, it just won't make your gun sound like a cannon or anything.

• 1 month later...