G&P's Colt 607/Car-15 Externals review

The G&P Colt Model 607/Car-15 Replica; External details review

P1010025.jpg

Introduction:

*disclaimer; Any information relating to the real steel version of this weapon is merely what i've read, both on reputable websites and from forum members (Mostly BaBabooey - Thanks for the detailed info!). If i've gotten anything wrong, feel free to correct me.

The Colt Model 607 carbine, commonly known amongst airsofters as the Car-15, has gathered somewhat of a cult following since it's original release by Tokyo Marui several years ago. The original TM Car-15 was released as a limited edition AEG, with a reasonably small production run. The original TM model has become increasingly difficult to find over the past few years. There are obviously a fair few that have been irrepairably damaged/customised beyond the original specifications. In good condition, a TM Car-15 can often fetch £2-250 or more amongst collectors. My guess is the rifle has obtained this cult status down to it's very unique looks - Imagine an M16A1 that's been put in a car crusher, or has shrunk in the wash.

The original real steel rifle was built using cut down M16 foregrips and stocks. A few versions were created, including a survival rifle intended for use by pilots and vehicle crews with a shortened pistol grip. The stock was extendable, using a lever to extend the stock and lock it in either the open or closed position. The original weapon, while compact and handy, saw very little action during the Vietnam war due to an excessive muzzle flash and issues with the gas system caused by the short barrel length. A few fixes were tried, including different muzzle devices. 607's have appeared in photographs both with a standard 3 prong flashhider, 3.5" moderator and the XM177 style slightly longer moderator. More information on the real deal can be found here; http://pullig.dyndns.org/retroblackrifle/ModGde/CrbGde/607.html

G&P's Car-15; How does it compare?

P1010027.jpg

The picture above shows the G&P Car-15 in stock, out of the box form. The rifle is packaged in the usual G&P way - Plain cardboard box with a few logos, and a lot of bubble wrap. A generic M4A1 carbine manual (useless in this case), no cleaning rod, no brochure or similar. Whilst G&P's marketing department may not be the greatest in the world, they produce in my opinion the best out of the box V2 based AR15 AEG's. Combining a mix of excellent external quality, solid build, very good quality control and a fantastic 8mm bearing gearbox, with a huge array of accessories and external parts available as well as any replacement internals you're ever likely to want or need.

Upon opening the box, it looks as though G&P have both taken inspiration from the original TM design, and have put some research into the real rifle. The model i've purchased is marketed as the Car-15 (Early version). I believe a later version may be in the works. In the photo here; http://pullig.dyndns.org/retroblackrifle/images/607-ReedKnight-sm.jpg the rifle at the top most closely matches G&P's recreation, bar the pistol grip. I believe the rifle shown in the picture is indeed one of the very first versions of the Car-15/607, the survival rifle model. The shortened pistol grip is shown, as well as the slab-sided lower receiver and lacking the forward assist on the upper. Obviously the shortened pistol grip isn't possible to replicate on this AEG due to the need to house the motor. As shown in the photo below, the slab-sided G&P receiver;

P1010035.jpg

So, based on the slab-sided receiver and flashhider, i think it's reasonably safe to say the G&P AEG is attempting to replicate the earliest version of the 607. Overall, G&P have done an excellent job of this - The flashhider is correct to the picture, as is the right hand side of the receiver, bar the 'Safe/Semi/Auto' markings not appearing on the real steel. G&P have also included the 20 round style short midcap, containing 110 rounds of 6mm. The magazine feeds and fits perfectly, as it should, and is made of steel.

Bits they got wrong

So, whilst G&P have produced an extremely convincing replica of the Colt 607, there are a few details they've missed. Firstly, the receiver trademarks, shown as on the G&P rifle below;

P1010040.jpg

As you can see, the G&P receiver has Colt AR-15 markings. These are fairly close to what they should be, however the G&P features US govt. property markings, not found on the real steel. The receiver on the R/S is also marked as a 'Model 07' or 'Model 07A', without the property markings. There is also another version pictured that includes the property markings, although it is also marked 'GX-5857'. The receiver on the R/S is also a lighter shade of charcoal grey.

Secondly, the stock. G&P have replicated the stock nicely, with a very smooth finish. It features the open/lock markings on the buttplate, denoted with 'L' and 'O'. However, the real steel stock only extends fully, and needs to be opened manually. G&P on the other hand have copied the TM stock, which features a spring to 'pop' the stock out. G&P have also made an addition, in that the stock can be locked halfway in place, giving you a 3 position stock. Pictures below;

Open:

P1010031.jpg

Middle position:

P1010032.jpg

Despite a few incorrect details, it's worth noting that carbines were often built during the vietnam war from all sorts of mixed and matched parts. Whilst no evidence exists to show a 607 in the configuartion G&P have used, i gather that it's fairly plausible a rifle in this configuration may have existed, had an armourer replaced parts with later or earlier bits and pieces.

Overall

To summarise, G&P have created an excellent replica of a very unique rifle, based on a fairly small amount of information available on the real deal. Despite a couple of details being incorrect, G&P have created an excellent replica. The gun is just as solidly built as anything else by G&P, with the same fantastic 8mm gearbox and M120 motor. Here's a brief rundown of what you'll need to know for skirmishing;

Battery: Several batteries will fit in the handguards. Most M4 style stock tube lipos will fit, as will almost any nunchuk style lipo. NiMh batteries can also be used, but an 8.4 mini is quite a squeeze. I've found a 7.4 2100MaH lipo is a perfect fit in the handguards.

FPS: My Car-15, purchased from www.wolfarmouries.co.uk, came out of the box marked with a '1j' tag, and delivered a very consistent 320-322FPS.

Barrel length: 289mm inner/10.5" outer.

Hop: Adjustable, standard one piece AR-15 style. Rubber was quite oily out of the box, so give the barrel and hop a decent clean.

Hopefully i've covered most of the details on the external features. For any further information required on the internal performance, see the following threads which discuss the G&P gearbox featured in this gun in much greater detail:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=182553

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=177997

Please feel free to ask any specific questions, and i'll answer them as best i can. Also, some more pictures below, in a couple of different configurations;

P1010043.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010044.jpg

Cheers guys :)

It doesn't have a self retaining front locking pin unfortunately - Although this would be impossible due to the lack of the mag release fence anyway.

On the note of the front pin, something nice G&P have added to this gun i forgot to mention - They've put the tabs connecting the gearbox wires to the battery connector as far forward as possible; This means you can knock the front pin out and slide the upper forward just enough to get the barrel and hop unit out, which saves trying to fiddle the wires back through the hole!

Cheers guys :)

It doesn't have a self retaining front locking pin unfortunately - Although this would be impossible due to the lack of the mag release fence anyway.

On the note of the front pin, something nice G&P have added to this gun i forgot to mention - They've put the tabs connecting the gearbox wires to the battery connector as far forward as possible; This means you can knock the front pin out and slide the upper forward just enough to get the barrel and hop unit out, which saves trying to fiddle the wires back through the hole!

^THIS HAS MADE MY DAY.

Long inner barrel and hop for use with suppressor in woodland, short inner barrel and hop for CQB ahoy :D

Cheers for the review Hwagan. Mine's arriving tomorrow- though I doubt my suppressor'll arrive from RSOV for a while, still cannae wait :D Having it set up for woodland in exactly the setup of the second photo.

^THIS HAS MADE MY DAY.

Long inner barrel and hop for use with suppressor in woodland, short inner barrel and hop for CQB ahoy :D

Cheers for the review Hwagan. Mine's arriving tomorrow- though I doubt my suppressor'll arrive from RSOV for a while, still cannae wait :D Having it set up for woodland in exactly the setup of the second photo.

Made my day too when i found out - I was expecting to fiddle for bloody ages with the wiring in the process of hop tweaking, pleasantly surprised when i discovered it :)

Have to admit, it's definitely growing on me with the silencer - Just not a fan of the 20 round mags, for some odd reason...

If you've got some spare, I'll take them off your hands ;)

Can't wait to get my paws on it now... what sized battery are you using?

I've only got the one that came with it, but i could use a tenner far more :P I'll PM you in a mo.

As for the battery, i'm using a component shop 7.4 2100MaH lipo, and it's a perfect fit :)

Hey Hwagan,

As always a great review.

I think you should contact G&P and ask them to supply you with new items/AEG's to review ;)

Cheers.

J.

Thanks dude - Believe me, i've tried! I've sent them about 15 e-mails, and every reply has always been 'Dear sir, deal with wholesaler only, blah blah'...

Also, Doc - You won't find a better VN AEG than a G&P one, assuming you're after an AR. They do a pretty wide range now, the M16, M16A1, XM177E1 and E2, Car-15, XM177/M203, Stoner 63... As much as i love the idea of a VN loadout, that's £200 i could spend on another AEG :P

Thanks dude - Believe me, i've tried! I've sent them about 15 e-mails, and every reply has always been 'Dear sir, deal with wholesaler only, blah blah'...

Also, Doc - You won't find a better VN AEG than a G&P one, assuming you're after an AR. They do a pretty wide range now, the M16, M16A1, XM177E1 and E2, Car-15, XM177/M203, Stoner 63... As much as i love the idea of a VN loadout, that's £200 i could spend on another AEG :P

Quoted for truth.... :)

That's why I was surprised about the crappyness of the G&P M16 I bought last month off UKAZ... turns out it's actually a JG M16VN with a G&P metal body on it. Scamming *bramston pickle*...

Held one of these yesterday. I must say I liked this a lot! Feels good and because of the shortness it handles great!

Now, the bad: I don't know why but G&P made a lot of mistakes when making this one. Although it are only details, it does bother me. E.g. Barrel is to long, the handguard is to wide, the 3 position stock, the reciever... It would take a bit of work to make it correct.

The 8.4v mini crane stock batteries do fit, perfectly. Now wondering whether to move to 7.4v lipos or not after all...

I cannot get my flashhider off AT ALL. Been turning it clockwise to unscrew it but whatever I use it just bends the 3 prongs and doesn't actually unscrew it.

Well I screwed mine of yesterday,

it's counter clockwise...

there is a little bit threadlock ot hold it down, so I had to use a little force

Now, the bad: I don't know why but G&P made a lot of mistakes when making this one. Although it are only details, it does bother me. E.g. Barrel is to long, the handguard is to wide, the 3 position stock, the reciever... It would take a bit of work to make it correct.

I think i can fill in the 'why' part - Basically the machining costs to get the gun 100% accurate would make the gun very expensive - For example, a whole new lower receiver, etc etc. For most players, it's close enough, and for those who want one that's 100% realistic, it's a good starting point.

It is a little bit dissapointing they haven't gone all out, but i can kinda see why not. For me, the main thing is it's still close enough, and it's instantly skirmishable out of the box.