G&P's Colt 607/Car-15 Externals review

Well here's my contribution...

first pic is everything internal, this is my third G&P latest gen V2 box, and they are GREAT and ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING... My M16A1 an Stoner MK23 both have one and the rock, nuff' said...

The are shimmed great out-of-the-box, clear and crisp, non-grinding sound and feel to them...

The quality and finish is awesome... as they usually are

the FPS was 365 before doing anything to it, a little bit to much for games over here, So I cut off three spring windings just to be sure...

A couple of differences compared with their older gen V2's, which I also have a lot of :P

Anyways, the spring guide is of the non-bearing type, seems strange, but will have a rummage through the yea'olde part box...

The nozzle now is tapered which is good, real good,

my previous boxes always came with nozzles which had a flat end, and the didn't help the airseal a whole lot, as it doesn't go ever so slightly in the rubber itself to make a perfect seal... always had to replace them with systema or prometheus... not now

Don't know if the gears will suffer from the old G&P disease of breaking shafts, will just have to wait and see.

The switch isn't always of great quality, the metal is always to "stiff" on the contact parts and gets easily burnt in, but will leave it, maybe change it with a Systema one later.

The cilinderhead is ff.. great !! best quality I've seen in a G&P box the airseal is pretty good

the triggerspring is also of changed design,

they made the part that locks in gearbox straight, which makes it a whole lot easier to insert it, their earlier ones had a 90 degree bend in them...

piston real good to, also already has the last teeth removed...

will see if the angle is good or more has to be removed

you can also see that the front receiver pin is of the new type, when you insert it and screw it the two parts slighty go apart and wedge itself real tight so it doesn't slip out during games, as the screw itself is buttugly on such a fine VN era weapon, I will be replacing it with an old type form the part box

Maybe I've forgotten some things, but the pics mainly speak for themself,

later on this evening I will upload and discuss externally, which is much more interesting :D

dscf0001-5.jpg

dscf0002-7.jpg

dscf0003-6.jpg

dscf0004-8.jpg

dscf0005-7.jpg

Well here's the rest

First off, the barrel

It's actually quite wrong,

On the real deal, just after the front sight you have a washer ring and then the moderator, whichever you prefer...

there could be a few mm of barrel just after the front sight, depends on what pic you look at. But nowhere near as much as G&P's barrel

I know airsoft companies cut corners for economic reasons, no prob, I do that to, but they did make a new barrel for this and they made it wrong :D

I will pop by the machine shop later on to machine it down to a proper 10" one

you can clearly see it here on a ref pic from AR15.com

there is also a comparison of the 607 and E1 spare barrel I have, it's shorter but still not quite correct

GX585720barrel20marks202.jpg

xm177_e1_e2_2.jpg

100_0075-1.jpg

dscf0010-6.jpg

then on to the handguards, there quite wrong to,

the real deal 607 handguards were just M16 handguards cut off at the back

G&P handguards look like M16 handguards the have been shrunk down keeping the dimensions... which is wrong

you see it clearly in ref. pic where a 607 is laying underneath an M16

the angle is much less compared to M16 ones

This summer I will get some real deal ones and cut them down myself, and get a replacement back handguard cap from a company in the States which specializes in retro 607 parts. As obviously the cap is wrong to accomodate the wider ones G&P installed

Vietnam_1-607a-409x258.jpg

GX585720left20side202.jpg

M607.jpg

dscf0015-10.jpg

dscf0016-10.jpg

dscf0014-10.jpg

more later

Well here's the rest

Great info dude, i should have just left the review to you in the first place :P

I'm guessing the handguards were probably intended to allow more options to store a battery, but it's a bit rubbish they went to the effort of making a new barrel and then did it wrong...

On another note, mine didn't come with the split/wedge style front pin - It's not really needed, but would have been nice to have.

Well give my your address, I'll send it over...

Thanks for the offer dude, don't worry though :) Mine is solid as a rock and the front pin is fine, just seems strange G&P included them in some and not with others. Maybe they used the wedge pins if there was a slight receiver gap when they were built? Either that or it could be something to do with the fact mine is the 1J version as opposed to the 360ish version.

On another note, do you have a link for the US 607 parts dealer? Quite tempted by a set of cut down real deal handguards now i've seen the difference! :P

on with the stock then...

Well must say it's quite accurately reproduced, and heavy to !

compared to the later sliding stock...

It's comprised of quite a few bits and pieces and quite complicated

The weird thing is that G&P included two springs, one for the tab on the back, which I can understand so that it always locks in place, the real deal didn't have this

But the bigass spring you see, that I don't understand, it acts on the sliding sotck itself, so it's always under tension... first time I released the stock I was quite surprised that it came flying out towards me !

Good thing is that you can just leave it out...

The stock itself is quite good, but the backplate is obviously wrong,

they switched the letters :D and the screws are of the wrong type,

but I can all live with that... just needs a little bit more weathering

the front part is also wrong, the front plate didn't exist ins the real deal, just the bottom ring on the stock tube, the bottom bar went straight into the receiver

the two little holes in the receiver are meant for pins to hold those parts to the receiver itself...

You can clearly see that Colt engineers developed this quasi "adhoc" as an interim solution, "owkay let's make something shorter, let's cut the handguards of somewhere in the middle, lets drilled holes in the receiver... kinda like that :D

But I don't care, I think this will be my new favorite in the field, it's the perfect pointman weapon.

pictures courtesy of AR15.com

GX585720butttstock20front.jpg

GX585720buttstock.jpg

dscf0007-9.jpg

dscf0008-8.jpg

dscf0006-8.jpg

dscf0009-8.jpg

last part I guess,

Some general stuff, must of the things that are wrong here I won't be correcting or if do find the time or not in a lazy mood I will correct them

first the barrel and hop-up,

There latest hop-up units are pretty good, the ones with the black parts, early ones with the blue parts weren't so great

I will replace the rubber with a systema one and the nub with a black Element H-nub, I use that combo in all my guns and they do their job,

One thing that is pretty good is that there is a big spring around the barrel itself instead of the little one on top like in the past,

Sometimes if you didn't pay attention they would bend and didn't push the barrel enough against the box and form a good seal with the nozzle... I have a APS AK74 that I am working on right now and it also has a big spring around the barrel

dscf0011-6.jpg

Then on to the upper and lower...

the upper is of the correct type , although there are some markings offcourse which are absent, but no need to lose sleep over that, no airsoftgun will ever be 100%, you can hopefully achieve 90-95%, which is good nontheless

I think there were about 50 607's made, and half had the non-forward assist upper and the other half forward assist upper,

One thing that is wrong,and replacable on all the early type AR's by G&P is that the ejection port cover are not correct 600 series covers,

The early ones had the a shape like that reminds me of the early type pyramids,

that part that the bolt carrier hits to open it... it's flat on top instead of the dome shape it is now, and was on the series 700 after the Nam' era type Ar's.

I have Bababooey to thank for this info, so if you read this dude, send me some correct port covers , pronto !! :D

On the outside of the port cover, the little rectangle is to wide and high, the 600's had a much smaller rectangle...

offcourse this is airsoft economics again by G&P, they just make one port cover for all their guns...luckily real ones are a straight drop in fit

As for the rest of the body, it looks preety good, except for the black finish,

maybe later on I will try the Norell's finish to make it more correct XM gray

dscf0021-3.jpg

dscf0022-6.jpg

Then the lower,

The left side of the receiver is incorrect of course, the safe, semi and fire markings weren't present on neither of the XM models,

The holes to pin the stock to the receiver are not there either, maybe I will drill them out myself.

The markings are completely wrong, but that has been well established by now

Colt also only used half-fence lowers to make the 607's, and this is the slab-sided lower, fortunately the ejction port cover covers this mistake :D

If you want more info on this particular model, go to retro black rifle or the retro thread on the AR15 forum.

Then the front sight

The line you can see in the middle of the sight is the flash that stays over from the forging proccess, on the early models this was removed (grind off), on the later model front sights they didn't bother with this anymore. So it should be non-flash

G&P just makes the sight for all their models, the same with the port cover

The little hole you see drilled in the bottom is actually a drainage hole, this was also only done on later models, I think starting from the A1 model, but could be wrong with that.

dscf0019-7.jpg

dscf0020-3.jpg

This is a correct sight

frontsight-1.jpg

I think that's about it...

It's hard to tell from the photos if the G&P rear and front hand guard caps are anything like the real one. If so, the short handguards can easily be made. Just take a saw to a set of rifle length and sand down to get the right length. The real ones were held together by compression from the spring around the slip ring. Just make sure you have generic set of A1 handguards as the early Colt and Armalite handguards, especially the green ones, are very collectible.

Here's a copy of the real one:

DSCF0004.jpg

And a set of handguards I made off of Colt rifle length handguards:

DSCF0003.jpg

Interesting to see that the G&P stock actually looks more complicated than the real one. Maybe because it's three position and needs to be spring loaded?

I'll check to see if I have any port doors still left.

I found out what was causing the problem after using a little too much brute force. It turns out the selector plate wasn't moving forward enough to let the gearbox move.

I think that was being caused by the piston being to the rear so that may be something to watch out for in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's my finished little devil,

-Turned down the barrel to a thru 10"

-Sprayed the furniture a nice semi-gloss black, as the finish of G&P is always to matte

-weathered the body just with very fine steelwool, and behold !! there new bodies really are greyish-black compared to there older ones

-I also left out the big spring for the stock itself as it serves no purpose

later this summer I will score some A1 handguards to saw them down and get a correct rear handguard cap from the US...

I saw a picture here , I think, of somebody with a new E2, and the body also was a more greyish-black finish compared to what it used to be, either they are putting on less finish or they do it for some other reason, nevermind... it looks way better,

if you're thinking about getting one, well get one... :D

changed out the nub to a black element one, the work best in all my guns, I left the rubber, as it's quite good,

It was shooting about 365, now it's a crisp 340...range and ROF is f$$$ing great... I use a 7,4V 1600 Mah 20C LiPo

dscf0042-3.jpg

dscf0045-5.jpg

dscf0046-1.jpg

dscf0041-3.jpg

dscf0047-2.jpg

Here it is with some other family members,

dscf0049-2.jpg

Just jumped on the band hwagon, and taken deliver of one of these mesself.

A very nice weighty bit of kit :)

Only odd thing is the way the three prong flash hider rings like a tuning fork after each shot. Anyone care to determine the pitch ;)

Should get a chance to shoot (at) some Royal Marines with it this weekend, which I feel is a suitable first outing !

• 3 weeks later...

Mine's winging it's way to me from Landwarrior as we speak.... I can live with it being 95% right considering I'll be beating it to death in the boonies :)

Oh, and I scored a proper Positive threaded G&P CAR 15 'loudhailer' flashhider too.

Edited by demoncase