CYMA CM048M Full Metal/Wood AKM

CYMA AKM REVIEW

IMG_20110515_005418.jpg

Real Steel background:

The AKM is an Upgraded AK-47 variant, and is also the most widespread member of the AK series. It entered service with Soviet Russia in the late 1950s.

The Review:

This is a review I've been wanting to do since last Fall, but school restraints, and my inability to make any games prevented this. I bought this gun late last summer, but I still have only a couple hundred rounds through it and yet to field it in a skirmish, so its essentially still in out-of-the-box condition.

OUT OF THE BOX:

2010-06-07162223.jpg

Bought from ASGI

Comes with:

-gun

-Battery

-Charger

-1 high cap mag

EXTERIOR:

This thing is gorgeous. Full metal(NOT POT METAL, STEEL!) and real wood! The only non metal/wood parts are the grip(plastic) and the piece connecting the wooden butt stock to the body(pot metal). I'm fairly positive about this; if an owner spots I'm wrong, please correct me. Of course this makes the gun pretty hefty, but that is to be expected. Keep in mind this isn't a plastic AEG. Just as a note, the wood is darker than the pictures let on. Its a darker colored wood.

IMG_20110515_005437.jpg

Real wood!

Trade marks are minimal, but there are two to point out: the first ones are the Russian markings for automatic and semi auto fire:

IMG_20110515_005455.jpg

The other is the Russian marking on top of the rear sight:

IMG_20110515_005519.jpg

FEATURES

First off, the battery. Unlike most AK variants, this AK DOES NOT take a stick battery! This gun takes a mini type battery that goes in the buttstock.

First, unscrew the 2 screws holding the buttstock back on(phillips), then presto!

2010-06-07164857.jpg

The top assembly comes off easily and snaps back on, revealing the top of the gearbox:

IMG_20110515_005545.jpg

The hop-up is located inside the chamber(like almost all AEGS) and is adjusting by moving the slide left and right:

IMG_20110515_005601.jpg

PERFORMANCE:

This is where I ran into my first hiccups. The stock battery is not strong enough to pull this gun. Its too powerful. You need a better battery. My lipo un-locked the gun(At the expense of the fuse >_>). Anyway, I read reviews this thing shoots hot and people have toned it down, so I figured it would be a good idea. We chronod it at Cool Stuff (The local airsoft store in my area) and this monster was shooting 440fps with .20s. I almost fell over. I can't stress how powerful this gun is out of the box! Anyway, we toned the spring down, and now its shooting 400 fps with an M110. Not an M120, but an M110. It shoots nice and straight, and I'm running it with my 7.2v lipo with no issues. Good rate of fire as well, and nice trigger response(thanks lipo). The only shooting beef I have is the hop-up. It wasn't responding that much for me, despite large adjustments I made. It could of just been due to the humid climate, but I'd try it out some more, and if your going to upgrade anything, I'd say hopup. Its good enough to get the job done, but not fanstastic.

I would highly suggest changing the spring unless you want to hurt someone, use this on single shot only as a long range gun, or be changing your internals in a few months. As well as the internals are built, 440fps isn't good for any aeg in my opinion. In speaking of internals, they are surprisingly solid for the price of this AEG. It will be able to handle the 400fps easily.

In short:

-Out of the box its not ready to shoot. You need to either install a weaker spring, use a stronger battery with a better fuse, or ideally a combination of both. Once these are done though it shoots like a champ.

PRICE:

This gun has a moderate price tag of $184, but considering what you get, its a complete bargain.

-440fps out of the box

-The best AK body your going to find for the price hands down. I'd say only the VFC bodies can beat it.

PRO/CON LIST

PROS

-Full Metal/Wood construction

-Beefy internals

-Very solid construction

-Once battery/spring issue addressed, champion shooter.

-Bargain price for the quality of equipment your receiving.

-Some trades

-Works with Ak-74 style mags(at least the one's I've tried)

-Takes a mini-type battery

CONS

-Battery does not pull the gun

-440FPS out of the box is too hot for most situations; your going to likely need a spring change. An m110 has me shooting at 400fps, so use that as a judge.

-Takes a mini-type battery(bad if you own stick batteries for your other AKs)

-Very slight wobble in the grip; barely noticeable.

-Hop-up seems mediocre, but it may be due to poor testing conditions.

Conclusion

I give this gun the thumbs up. Your most likely going to need to do a bit of tweaking on it, but once that's done its a winner. If your looking for an AK for under $200, look no further. I'll update this review with battlefield testing once I finally get onto the field with this.

Edited by CSC Maverick

I personally verified that it is not all steel; most of the front end is potmetal and also the front trunnion + stock tang are also pot metal. You are right about the stock tang; it is not meant to be used to bash open doors and heads of capitalist aggressors.

Not a bad aeg overall but I would immediately get LCT 2009 AKM parts to replace the front end; otherwise you will be very disappointed when the front sight block have the threads snap off cleanly.

I would say that a refinish would be good to make the wood more red and metal more shiny; otherwise you can also get a AK47 muzzle cap for a pretty accurate East German Mpi-K.

Edited by adadqgg