'Offset' silencer, and adaptor...

Docv400

Someone asked me for a silencer to fit his M14 SOCOM.

With the non-threaded barrel on the SOCOMs, it needed a threaded adaptor in place of the flash-hider.

I'd originally suggested I make the silencer to just slip over the flash-hider, but he wanted to be able to use it on other AEGs as well.

He'd initially requested it to be 60mm x 140mm, but after I'd sent him a picture of that size 'mocked-up', he wisely changed his mind tongue.gif

Not only did it look ridiculous (some would even argue sacrilegious), it actually blocked the view through the iron sights!

After a couple more mock-ups, we eventually settled on 50mm x 150mm, with a twist.

I suggested the silencer be offset below the centre-line of the barrel, to put it more in-line with the rest of the rifle.

After one final mock-up, he agreed.

I think it looks much better than a 'normal' concentric one, on this particular AEG type at least...

M14SOCSilencer4.jpg

M14SOCSilencer5.jpg

I think it would suit a full length version as well, what do you think?

...has your customer considered fluting it? :P

No! And I hope he doesn't!

Are you balancing it on a wineglass?

Yes! Maybe a Brandy glass would be more fitting, but I don't have one tongue.gif

Very cool, I've had this idea but with a K98, for a while (don't hang me!)...

Don't tell me where you live then waggle.gif

wink.gif

I made an offset one years ago for an M11 I had, it had a laser mounted inside...

LaserSilencer6.jpg

LaserSilencer2.jpgLaserSilencer5.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looking good! How does it attach? threaded?

...With the non-threaded barrel on the SOCOMs, it needed a threaded adaptor in place of the flash-hider...

Basically, I made an adaptor that fits over the (unthreaded) end of the outer barrel, like a plain flash-hider but with a threaded end on it.

Archived