Guns with Wood Furniture

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mightyjebus - Sadly it is not - you'd have to make a custom one to fit and even then I am quite sure that the 'walls' of the grip would be far too thin and fragile. A fair few people opt to sand and paint the pistol-grip to look like wood - some do it very well. I feared I'd fluff it up so I left it as is!

@dFrog - the chestrig is a reproduction of a Rhodesian Bush War Fereday and Sons chest rig - I got it from Varusteleka,

Better Pictures:

PICT1953.jpg
PICT1939.jpg
PICT1936.jpg

RS 'Hythe' Sight

PICT1938.jpg
PICT1937.jpg

Nice stock - looks like it ought to have a barrel band?

Barrel bands aren't always used with the bull barrel.

And that scope mounting is Fuuuunkay!!

The only one I have. After payday I'm getting a slimmer suppressor and new mount rings.

@Mightyjebus - Sadly it is not - you'd have to make a custom one to fit and even then I am quite sure that the 'walls' of the grip would be far too thin and fragile. A fair few people opt to sand and paint the pistol-grip to look like wood - some do it very well. I feared I'd fluff it up so I left it as is!

@dFrog - the chestrig is a reproduction of a Rhodesian Bush War Fereday and Sons chest rig - I got it from Varusteleka,

Better Pictures:

PICT1953.jpg

PICT1939.jpg

PICT1936.jpg

RS 'Hythe' Sight

PICT1938.jpg

PICT1937.jpg

How did you go about ataching your butt, is it permanent or removable?

ToaDi, do us a favour and don't quote six photos, five of which are already on the same page?

I was under the impression these had the earlier reciever without the forward assit button, would that be wrong?

There's never been a factory-issued AR-15 with wooden furniture, at least as far as I'm aware, so there's no RS gun for RenegadeCow's friend's gun to replicate. Even if there was, it wouldn't look much like RC's, which has the unlikely combination of;

• Flat-top upper receiver (debuted in 1993 on the Colt M16A3).
  • Short triangular handguards (only fitted to the CAR-15 SMG, last produced in 1965).
  • A1-length fixed stock (not fitted to the CAR-15 SMG or any flat-topped gun from the factory). Even the A2 fixed stock was only paired with flat-top receivers from the factory in the rare M16A3 and the M16A4, both produced after 1996.

It's a pretty improbable parts combination. For a CAR-15 SMG, even taking into account a switch to wooden furniture, it has the wrong lower receiver (it should have a partial-fence lower receiver, not a full-fence), the wrong pistol grip (it should be either an A1 or a cut-down A1, not an A2), the wrong upper receiver (it should be a slickside or an A1, not a flat-top), the wrong front sight block (it shouldn't have a bayonet lug), and the wrong barrel/suppressor (it should be a 10" barrel, not a 10.5", and it should have a 3.5" or 4.25" moderator, not a suppressor). It's not accurate to any RS firearm, but it is drop-dead gorgeous!

If you mean, should a CAR-15 SMG (Colt Model 607, 607A & 607B) have a slickside upper receiver, then k30dxedle's right - the 50 or so SMGs built were parts guns assembled from whatever Colt had lying around. Some of them had slicksides, and some of them A1s.

Edited by PureSilver

Apologies to go off topic here, but I don't believe that wiki article is accurate. I don't have solid evidence, but Colt building weapons for a military contract out of a haphazard collection of parts lying around the factory is highly unlikely, even back in 1965. Colt keeps a fairly accurate track of serial numbers, what configuration each lower was built, and for which specific contract...this makes that theory of using spare XM16E1 lowers for Mod 607's, more unlikely. Now, prototype models I can believe, but for weapons delivered to the government, not so much as they will manufacture weapons in strict accordance to the gov't contract (e.g. if the contract stated a forward assist, they will put a forward assist). But I'm FAR from an expert so who knows for sure...

Also, according to periodicals from the era, the M607 was put into production, property marked, and officially type classified by the US military as "Gun Experimental No. 5857" or "GX-5857".

As for wooden AR-15's, there is documentation that shows very early prototype AR-15's built by Armalite with wooden handugards, grips, and stocks. But I agree, I don't believe any spec'd Armalite AR-15's were made of wood. I initially thought AR-10's were made out of wood, but I was told that it's more likely bakelite which sometimes looks like wood in old periodicals.

Hope this helps...

• 2 months later...

Sorry triple-B, I didn't see you'd replied to me!

Apologies to go off topic here, but I don't believe that wiki article is accurate. I don't have solid evidence, but Colt building weapons for a military contract out of a haphazard collection of parts lying around the factory is highly unlikely, even back in 1965. Colt keeps a fairly accurate track of serial numbers, what configuration each lower was built, and for which specific contract...this makes that theory of using spare XM16E1 lowers for Mod 607's, more unlikely. Now, prototype models I can believe, but for weapons delivered to the government, not so much as they will manufacture weapons in strict accordance to the gov't contract (e.g. if the contract stated a forward assist, they will put a forward assist).

Back in those days Colt would turn pretty much whatever they had lying around the factory into a gun if they thought they could sell it to the Government! In the same period, the Model 633, which made it into full production (unlike the Model 607) was sent out the door with handguards left over from the M231 FPW! There are period photos of the Model 607 with the cut-down pistol grips of the Model 608 Survival Rifle in an analogous reuse of leftover furniture. The critical thing is that the Model 607 never made it to full-rate production; I would have said it was less of an issue weapon and more of a product development prototype that Colt slung together to see what would work. As you say, even the US military considered it experimental - and with only fifty-odd requested and no promise of further orders, it just wasn't worth Colt's time to make specific parts - you have to remember, this is a company that hasn't bothered to make specific lower receivers for its 9mm range (hundreds of thousands of weapons) for forty years, as a result of which AFAIK even today 9mm SMGs have a magazine adapter held in by roll pins!

As for wooden AR-15's, there is documentation that shows very early prototype AR-15's built by Armalite with wooden handugards, grips, and stocks. But I agree, I don't believe any spec'd Armalite AR-15's were made of wood. I initially thought AR-10's were made out of wood, but I was told that it's more likely bakelite which sometimes looks like wood in old periodicals.

Armalite operated on the cusp of solvency for most of their existence, as far as I can remember, and were pretty famous for nonstandard prototype work - in fact, I seem to recall the only weapons actually manufactured by Armalite (which was a design bureau, not a factory, after all) were made mostly by hand. It would be easy for a prototype in that sort of operation to have wooden parts as wood is easy to work and cheap, but I think you're correct in saying that once the various manufacturers (Colt et al) took up Armalite's designs they started from the beginning with plastic furniture.

• 4 weeks later...