G&G SIG 552 video review

Hey everyone,

Here's a video review for the G&G SIG 552. It is about one hour and twenty minutes long and splitted in 3 parts. I managed to cover every area I could think of, save for the chrono test (FPS and RPS), as I didn't have a chrono with me at the time.

I happen to have one now and I will update the description of part 3 of my lengthy review with the results I just obtained now. I can display them here though before I do it on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnWaueDq4g&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKcuFQu7dtA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IdX4S3-B0o&feature=youtu.be

I took 6 shots on semi-auto, hop up all the way down, with .2 BBs (the brand is 'Pirate Ultimate Precision BBs', should it matter) for the FPS, and that's what came out :

1. 371

2. 375

3. 353

4. 417 (!)

5. 377

6. 365

Average : 376 FPS

I'm just 4 FPS below the field limit authorized here in Switzerland, good.

Now for the RPS. Same process, same ammo, 3 round bursts :

1. 13.50

2. 13.30

3. 13.30

4. 13.50

5. 13.50

6. 13.30

Average : 13.40 RPS

Pretty stable, I like that.

I precise that the battery I used for these tests has been charged prior to do the third part of my video (which was shot somewhere around march 2011 I believe). The battery is a GP 9.6V 3700 mAh (Ni-Mh).

Please let me know what you thought of the review, discuss and ask questions on this thread. I'll try to answer them.

Hey everyone,

Here's a video review for the G&G SIG 552. It is about one hour and twenty minutes long and splitted in 3 parts. I managed to cover every area I could think of, save for the chrono test (FPS and RPS), as I didn't have a chrono with me at the time.

I happen to have one now and I will update the description of part 3 of my lengthy review with the results I just obtained now. I can display them here though before I do it on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPnWaueDq4g&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKcuFQu7dtA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IdX4S3-B0o&feature=youtu.be

I took 6 shots on semi-auto, hop up all the way down, with .2 BBs (the brand is 'Pirate Ultimate Precision BBs', should it matter) for the FPS, and that's what came out :

1. 371

2. 375

3. 353

4. 417 (!)

5. 377

6. 365

Average : 376 FPS

I'm just 4 FPS below the field limit authorized here in Switzerland, good.

Now for the RPS. Same process, same ammo, 3 round bursts :

1. 13.50

2. 13.30

3. 13.30

4. 13.50

5. 13.50

6. 13.30

Average : 13.40 RPS

Pretty stable, I like that.

I precise that the battery I used for these tests has been charged prior to do the third part of my video (which was shot somewhere around march 2011 I believe). The battery is a GP 9.6V 3700 mAh (Ni-Mh).

Please let me know what you thought of the review, discuss and ask questions on this thread. I'll try to answer them.

I Caint wacth the video at school, but how did you manage to fit a 9.6 n the handgaurd?

Good review, very thorough. I was very interested in this particular model, but now I'll definitely give it a pass. I never suspected it wouldn't have a motor cage, being a V3 mechbox and all.

Good review, very thorough. I was very interested in this particular model, but now I'll definitely give it a pass. I never suspected it wouldn't have a motor cage, being a V3 mechbox and all.

Thank you.

I was surprised too that it lacks the motor cage. It would have been a nice touch but that doesn't prevent the gun from working correctly.

Of course not. :)

As I like to do a lot of mechbox maintenance on my AEGs, I strongly prefer models with quick & easy mechbox access, such as the CA SA58, VFC-type AKs, and the JLS RX4.

The G&G 552 seemed like just my kind of gun, but the fiddly grip removal and selector bits really turn me off. The thought of having to suffer through that stuff every time I need to make an adjustment makes me want to hang myself.

Also not too happy about the entire rear of the mechbox being exposed when folding the stock.

Otherwise, the gun looks absolutely smashing, which is why I've been so interested in it in the first place. G&G make some truly impressive models of very high quality, but it seems to me they tend to forget what the players need from their guns, and focus too much on the guns themselves in the design phase.

Of course not. :)

As I like to do a lot of mechbox maintenance on my AEGs, I strongly prefer models with quick & easy mechbox access, such as the CA SA58, VFC-type AKs, and the JLS RX4.

The G&G 552 seemed like just my kind of gun, but the fiddly grip removal and selector bits really turn me off. The thought of having to suffer through that stuff every time I need to make an adjustment makes me want to hang myself.

Also not too happy about the entire rear of the mechbox being exposed when folding the stock.

Otherwise, the gun looks absolutely smashing, which is why I've been so interested in it in the first place. G&G make some truly impressive models of very high quality, but it seems to me they tend to forget what the players need from their guns, and focus too much on the guns themselves in the design phase.

I get the point. It's preferable to have a quick gearbox access when you are maintaining/upgrading your gun. But it's just 2 screws to remove and to reinsert, not a big deal if you ask me.

The rear of the gearbox isn't an issue, as long as it's sealed and you do not have a hole where you would put a screwdriver in the spring guide to keep it down when you open your gearbox. VFC AKS-XX' series have the back of the gearbox exposed too. I grant you it's only half of the gearbox, but still. And the only times when I fold the stock is when I'm indoors, so no risk of having debris, dust or dirt get inside if that's what you fear.

I really would not let all of those concerns make me steer away from buying a SIG 552. Other companies' 552s have the same "issues", no motor cage, gearbox exposed when stock folded... Sure G&G could have made something about this but I really don't see how. I think that to make it look like the real thing, especially in the pistol grip area, there was no other choice.