AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Hmm it would be difficult to explain everything I did but the short version would be adjust contrast > tone > vibrance > shadow & highlights > sharpen > resize.

Its only 10-15 minutes worth of work.

Are you shooting raw and adjusting the levels during the pre-processing, or are you going in and editing the file after you convert it? I haven't touched many of my airsoft photos but with the lighting I have its crossed my mind, and your shots certainly demonstrates why I should.

Are you shooting raw and adjusting the levels during the pre-processing, or are you going in and editing the file after you convert it? I haven't touched many of my airsoft photos but with the lighting I have its crossed my mind, and your shots certainly demonstrates why I should.

Naa I rarely shoot in raw format even though I know I should its just so much quicker to shoot them in jpeg and drag and drop on my laptop. Also for whatever reason my CS3 no longer reads raw files anyway so I'd need a separate file converter or something. =s

The only time I would consider raw is when I'm outside taking landscape HDR's or something.

Anyway QDRenegade loving the MOE grip & m203 combo they actually go really well together.

Two red dot sights? Huh? Do explain, I am intrigued as to your reasoning....

A little trick I stole from a local Retailers Tech.. The Docter Sight is at a 45 degree angle and gives me an extra Optic to use around corners when I angle the gun in order to keep a low profile. Really hard to explain, I will try and take a photo of it in use today. The gun being tilted only 45 degrees has no effect on hop up and trajectory, so it has worked great. Surprinsingly I must say.. When I intially did it, I thought it was purely eye candy aka Tacticool..

It would make a little more sense if you ran a magnified optic on the main rail and left with the reflex where it is, anytime I've seen a set-up with a co-witness reflex its always been with a magnified optic ala short-dot, acog or similar.

I'm really not an expert (and anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm way off) but I'd always thought the whole point of an offset co-witness reflex was to allow you to use your weapon in CQB even if it had main optics set medium/long range.

Like so:

Reflex-sight-mounted-at-45-using-Weaver-Offset-Rail-Adapter.jpg

Realistically there isn't any need for two red dots either and dont get me wrong your gun looks sweet and all its just that it seems a little....odd.

I'm really not an expert (and anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm way off) but I'd always thought the whole point of an offset co-witness reflex was to allow you to use your weapon in CQB even if it had main optics set medium/long range.

Realistically there isn't any need for two red dots either and dont get me wrong your gun looks sweet and all its just that it seems a little....odd.

This is exactly why you get an RDS to co-witness however its not really just for CQB its for any situation you need to rapidly acquire a target that your other optic is not set up to. Tilting your weapon at 45 degrees also seems a bit odd as it would cause hop-up issues.

• Like 1

Like so:

Reflex-sight-mounted-at-45-using-Weaver-Offset-Rail-Adapter.jpg

Same. Looks good, but no real point - the offset RDS is for switching from magnified optics in a jiffy, not...another RDS.

Well...I chickened out. I wasn't 100% sold on the test I did on the stock. I like the "dirty" look (which it's already getting in some spots due to playing) but I am not sure if I want 100% of the body to be khaki. I may follow a guide, dust individual spots, then use some thinner to hand-wear it.

I also have some new parts coming in so it may be a good idea to wait for those to get installed.

Edited by Leon Kennedy

If you want realistic wear and tear, scrub the gun with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol on the high points, and leave the low points painted. Ive painted about 5 or 6 of my guns and the rubbing alcohol method seems to work the best. dont go the sand paper route, it just scratches it up and it looks fake.

But if you want it to look SUPER COOL, paint it with some Krylon, and USE IT! Nothing else. If you game it up enough it should wear quite nicely.

I agree with JSOFTER don't use sand paper, it gives it that I sanded this off with sandpaper look...I had great luck with mineral spirits and an old t-shirt. Go really light on the paint to if your not sure. I really like how mine turned out, and I am not a fan of tan guns at all. It just looks like its been used, and it will wear of even more over time. I have no doubt that if I wanted I could easily clean my gun off, with a little extra work. Have you looked at the afghan and back in the projects section?

The only artificial wear that I've seen and liked was boomheadshot's "Afghan and back" guide. I'll probably dust it very lightly. When I did my ATACS paint, it was so thick that the only thing that could take it off was a pretty thick gel-based paint stripper. Once the new parts come in I'll figure out what to do. I have a railed gas block coming from DesertFox and I'm replacing the front A2 post with that and the matching Troy front sight I have so get rid of the little blur in my ACOG's sight picture from the post.

The bigger problem I have is committing! I know painting will look cool, but then I see these picture threads and I fall in love with the black rifle again.

Edited by Leon Kennedy

Nothing extraordinary here, but still my favorite gun.

WE CO2 M4 CQBR.

014.jpg

It's still closed bolt and has an adjustable nozzle fitted along with an unknown aimpoint reddot and an Element scoutlight.

Plan is to turn it into an L119A1 and slowely working towards that goal