AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Latest project, almost finished externally just awaiting something special im picking up next week ;) Still need to improve my internals

Im not sure how, but my camera decided to go all 90's on me too :P

hey dude, sweet looking classic carbine. What brand and type of barrel is that? i've always wanted a 16" classic style barrel without the the m203 "mounting slots" ( I've got no idea what they're called).

-brendan

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

hey dude, sweet looking classic carbine. What brand and type of barrel is that? i've always wanted a 16" classic style barrel without the the m203 "mounting slots" ( I've got no idea what they're called).

-brendan

I'm not too sure either, but I think they're called "step-cut" barrels? I know G&P made a 16" barrel and called it the M16A2 Shorty. G&P also has an M653 which is actually a fairly good replica - it has the 6 hole slim hand guards, flat slip ring, and the handguard cap without the cut outs.

Mine is from one of th

-brendan

Thanks mate

Mine is one of those ACM barrel kits, where you get several different extensions for your standard barrel.

As BaBa said, G&P is your best option, they make a proper 16" barrel which I will hopefully get once I get the monies!

I know it's been a while since I posted anything as I've been too busy with life outside of airsoft (I know most of you will scoff at the idea of the existence of any life outside of airsoft, lol). That said, it's time to get back on track. Picked up a VFC SR16E3IWS the other day as a base gun for a project in the works. I know, it's an AEG, but this time round, I'm looking for something reliable and fit for skirmishing locally (most people skirmish here with AEGs). Brought her home and the first things to go (Knowing me) were the grip & stock. Here's her current state (for now). There are big plans for her:

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7424.jpgIMG_7427.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not too sure either, but I think they're called "step-cut" barrels? I know G&P made a 16" barrel and called it the M16A2 Shorty. G&P also has an M653 which is actually a fairly good replica - it has the 6 hole slim hand guards, flat slip ring, and the handguard cap without the cut outs.

Mine is from one of th

Thanks mate

Mine is one of those ACM barrel kits, where you get several different extensions for your standard barrel.

As BaBa said, G&P is your best option, they make a proper 16" barrel which I will hopefully get once I get the monies!

That 653 one is pretty nice, I might consider that one, I just wished they would sell the barrel alone without all that handguard stuff.

@'huntER_HuntED, if you dont mind, could I trouble you for the link of the retailer where you got your barrel, i'd like to take into account all my options before buying.

-brendan

The problem with the G&P "M653" is that it has an A2 receiver, and a 14.5" barrel, which is technically an M723. Not really a problem, but G&P seem to be a bit confused about Colt's naming conventions. All A2 based weapons have a model 7xx number, much like the A1 based systems have a 6xx number, so the presence of an A2 lower means it definately aint a 653 ;) I still want one though!

Coltcatalog1987.jpg

The image above actually has an A1 style upper, but I have seen 723s with both styles.

Edited by CHIFF_MoA

That 653 one is pretty nice, I might consider that one, I just wished they would sell the barrel alone without all that handguard stuff.

@'huntER_HuntED, if you dont mind, could I trouble you for the link of the retailer where you got your barrel, i'd like to take into account all my options before buying.

-brendan

Hi mate, sadly I brought it off a forum so I dont know where it came from, howe ver I think RSOV and Airsoft Global sell similar kits. Also you can get G&P's M653 Barrel on its own, although it is around $70 i think ( look up airsoft global, I think they have them)

You'll probably be able to sell it easily as I understand they're hard to get individually. I bought that front end just for the barrel and was able to sell the all the other parts here on this forum in a few days.

The problem with the G&P "M653" is that it has an A2 receiver, and a 14.5" barrel, which is technically an M723. Not really a problem, but G&P seem to be a bit confused about Colt's naming conventions. All A2 based weapons have a model 7xx number, much like the A1 based systems have a 6xx number, so the presence of an A2 lower means it definately aint a 653 ;) I still want one though!

As far as I know, Colt M653 had 14.5" barrels (based on this link). Also, that G&P replica looks like it has an M16A1 lower (except for very minor differences like the roll marks, port door, etc.)?

You'll probably be able to sell it easily as I understand they're hard to get individually. I bought that front end just for the barrel and was able to sell the all the other parts here on this forum in a few days.

As far as I know, Colt M653 had 14.5" barrels (based on this link). Also, that G&P replica looks like it has an M16A1 lower (except for very minor differences like the roll marks, port door, etc.)?

Yes, the 14.5" barrel is correct, sorry I was mentioning it in response to the poster above that mentioned 16" barrels. If you look at the pics of the lower receiver on ehobby you can see it is Marked M16A2... and it has an A2 upper.

*edit* It also has the later reinforced buttstock, though I'm not sure when that was introduced.

Edited by CHIFF_MoA

Yes, the 14.5" barrel is correct, sorry I was mentioning it in response to the poster above that mentioned 16" barrels. If you look at the pics of the lower receiver on ehobby you can see it is Marked M16A2... and it has an A2 upper.

*edit* It also has the later reinforced buttstock, though I'm not sure when that was introduced.

I don't think G&P listed on eHobby was made like that by G&P - I'm guessing it's something eHobby assembled from various G&P parts? Or they made an error on the product name? Not sure.

I think the fiberlite stocks appeared with the 700 carbines? Before that, it looks like they were all metal with 2 position extensions and spanner nuts. It's my understanding that 4 position extensions and castle nut started with the M4.

Edited by BaBaBooey

SR47MockUp.jpg

My apologies for the poor image quality, but figured I'd post up a picture of the SR47 as it was prior to being sent to Polarstar for conversion earlier in the month. The VFC SCAR-H flash-hider came in earlier this week and I'll be running KAC flip down 300m iron sights on it.

-Piano

• Like 1

Here is my just about finished Block I CQBR build. All I really need is a BUIS, I am thinking a #40 Arms? Should I dust the accessories with some paint? I think so and then use some acetone is wear it down just a bit so it doesn't look so clean.

Anywho,

M4 CQBR

-Replica PEQ-2

-Knights Rail Cover set and Foregrip

-Trijicon Reflex Sight Replica (awesome replica by the way)

-Surefire M951

BlockIfinished3.jpg