AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

several ARs from a couple of us on the team (crappy camera action, GO.)

derp5.jpg

derp.jpg

derp3.jpg

Top gun:

VFC SR-15E3

Trijicon TA31RCO-M150CP

Magpul AFG2

Knights Rear BUIS

VFC PEQ-15

TangoDown SCAR panels

Surefire M600C w/GearSector Mount

VFC Triple Tap comp

Middle gun:

Some ACM GBBR...................

LMT SOPMOD Stock

LaRue 11.0

Magpul AFG

Magpul MBUS set

Aimpoint T-1 w/LaRue mount

Magpul BAD

.....Repro.....AAC M4-2000

Bottom gun:

CA M4

Knights RAS

VFC SOPMOD

Magpul AFG

Magpul rear BUIS

Aimpoint PRO w/LaRue mount

Surefire M300C w/LaRue mount

G&P DBAL-A2

Madbull Noveske KX3

Thanks

/facepalm

The AR57 can be purchased as a conversion kit or a complete weapon. http://www.57center.com/ None-the-less it utilizes a different bolt, and only shares compatibility with the trigger group and lower assembly. The PDW is similar enough that the differences still make it a variant of the AR design.

To be an AR variant it just needs to have the same controls and overall design appearance, obviously features are going to change based on caliber and needs of the weapon, but they can still be a variant. Otherwise things like Non-DI AR variants (piston driven ARs) would not be AR variants as they also lack compatibility on certain parts. Just look at some .22 ARs despite having a stock, some don't actually have a full sized bolt that goes into the stock tube, the design is surprisingly similar to the PDW.

Along the same lines as the PDW, is a ZM LR300 an AR variant? I've seen a few in this thread an no-one has complained.

Edited by frogfish

I've had those PMAGs for a year or two, and they still feed great. VERY weak feed springs (BBs dribble out), but they feed fine nonetheless. They won't fit in most guns w/out mods, though. They were originally designed for the A&K Masada, but fit fine in my VFC. They also fit fine in that body above and G&G combat machines. Aside from that, I haven't found a receiver they fit in. As a side note, I got mine for $8/ea waaaaay back when they first came out by ordering them in bulk and pulling a few strings. Don't expect to get them that cheap anymore, though.

Things like the CTRs, handguards, pistol grips, etc, are an excellent value for the money. Magpul lovers frequently diss them, but I've been using them for years with no trouble. I actually built that M4 above about 2 years ago, and it's held up fine over that period of time.

Edited by SteevoLS

/facepalm

The AR57 can be purchased as a conversion kit or a complete weapon. http://www.57center.com/ None-the-less it utilizes a different bolt, and only shares compatibility with the trigger group and lower assembly. The PDW is similar enough that the differences still make it a variant of the AR design.

To be an AR variant it just needs to have the same controls and overall design appearance, obviously features are going to change based on caliber and needs of the weapon, but they can still be a variant. Otherwise things like Non-DI AR variants (piston driven ARs) would not be AR variants as they also lack compatibility on certain parts. Just look at some .22 ARs despite having a stock, some don't actually have a full sized bolt that goes into the stock tube, the design is surprisingly similar to the PDW.

Along the same lines as the PDW, is a ZM LR300 an AR variant? I've seen a few in this thread an no-one has complained.

AR-15 variants fire a 5.56 or .223....is what I was going for. The various piston driven platforms and the LR300....as well as a good amount of other rifles that have all the gizmos and doodads are still AR-15 variants...in that the lower is interchangable, and there is still a 5.56 round being driven through the barrel.

The PDW uses a set up similar to the AR....and that was the intended purpose...but the PDW is not an AR variant, was my point. In fact, it is not even an AR-10 derivative, if we want to get real technical.

Course, I'm not really too worried about it...was just making sure that the PDW is not confused with an AR.

• Like 1

Ebaybanned has two. While it's not US based, you can't really beat the price and they don't usually screw up on small orders.

AABB steel version http://www.ebairsoft.com/aabb-steel-axd169-style-flashhider-p-4455.html

Iron Airsoft ??? version http://www.ebairsoft.com/iron-airsoft-style-inconnel-flash-hider-black-p-3341.html

AR-15 variants fire a 5.56 or .223....is what I was going for.

What about those that Fire the .50 Beowulf or 6.8SPC, or how about the AR12 or any of the other 7.62 AR variants...... Those do not have interchangeable lowers but are still considered AR variants. There is a difference between a clone, and a variant.

Edited by frogfish
Infinity' timestamp='1315603816' post='2486763']

Someone on the internet told me the PDW did not derive from the AR15 design, in fact it isnt in ANY way similar to the AR15 design! The fact that the lower looks almost exactly the same is just sheer coincidence...

AFAIK, it's very different inside, but was actually designed very deliberately to resemble the AR15 externally, so that users could transition seamlessly to it.

Everything that gets posted in here fires 6mm, ergo, calibre of the RS weapon the replica is derived from is irrelevant to a weapon's suitability for going in this thread.

M4A1, KAC PDW, SR-25, doesn't matter. This thread has been running for ages on the same basic principle that if it looks mostly like an AR-15, it goes in here, and that's worked fine for years. If we had threads for all the different sub-groups it'd get silly, you'd have bloody loads of them, all with very few posts. AR-10 variants, intermediate cartridges, PDW/LR300 type systems, outlandish creations like the 5.7mm.. etc...