AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

VFC M4, now with 100% more beta project pmag:

vfc_urx1.jpg

vfc_urx2.jpg

Anyone got some ideas? Right now I want to get an Eotech or a micro red dot and a tango down battlegrip or some such thing. Ideas on the table also include an OD or black Magpul setup, similar to Mr. Costa in Leon's signature up there.

I'd put your wires inside the rail unit and replace the fugly RDS with a micro and some sights dude.

Unfortunately, the way my friend temporarily fixed the wiring it's kind of permanently stuck outside the gun until it can be rear-wired (I don't have a way to separate the wires so it can go inside the barrel/delta ring assembly). Also, the URX turned out to be too tight to get wires in there anyhow, so I'm pretty much out of luck for now.

I have a catapult sight but it looks kind of bad with the RDS.

Edited by Redshirt 1-7

Pretty much same as above. I'd say tuck that wiring away, get yourself a T-1, and then look at the parts of the weapon that interface directly with your body (i.e. stock, pistol grip, foregrip). Have a think about which of those you find the least comfortable/ergonomic, and then look in to some Magpul/Vltor/Tangodown to replace them.

Edit: If you're stuck with regards the wiring, get yourself a suitable buffer tube (if the weapon doesn't already have one), wire to the rear and chuck a li-po in there.

Edited by CKinnerley

Micro red dot it is.

The grip is the absolute least comfortable part, especially without gloves, followed closely by the stock - for now the VFG "works" though I end up holding the thing like it's an AFG anyway.

Like I said, I'm thinking of getting a Magpul MOE/CTR/whatever stock and maybe some rail covers. Think I should get the furniture in black or OD? Worried that OD might clash with my tan vest and hat/helmet...

EDIT: What about foliage? Thinking it would look good with my ABU uniform.

Edited by Redshirt 1-7

VFC M4, now with 100% more beta project pmag:

vfc_urx1.jpg%20

vfc_urx2.jpg

Anyone got some ideas? Right now I want to get an Eotech or a micro red dot and a tango down battlegrip or some such thing. Ideas on the table also include an OD or black Magpul setup, similar to Mr. Costa in Leon's signature up there.

Does that have a gas block?

No. Why would I need one? It's zeroed in well enough, another sight would be frivilous for how little it actually adds to my aiming...

Because the gun can't function without one? And please note the difference between a gas block and a gas block with a front sight post on top.

Maybe you don't care about realism, in which case a gas block would be pointless, but I do.

• Like 1

A real one might not, but the gun that he's posted there can function just fine. Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a RS forum.

In airsoft, it's an entirely aesthetic part a large amount of the time. If you got rid of non-essential components such as the ones related to the gas system, you'd actually be creating a more skirmish practical rifle by shaving weight off.

I kinda like that red dot.... what is it? :P

(maybe place it at the back of the gun?)

It's a BSA red dot of some kind, barely worth the materials used to make it. It's actually more for looks in this photo, skirmishing it just adds pointless heft when even moderate lighting can make it difficult to see the dot.

A real one might not, but the gun that he's posted there can function just fine. Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't a RS forum.

In airsoft, it's an entirely aesthetic part a large amount of the time. If you got rid of non-essential components such as the ones related to the gas system, you'd actually be creating a more skirmish practical rifle by shaving weight off.

Basically this. Nevermind figuring out how to fit it with my wonderful track record of technical work... :unsure:

Edited by Redshirt 1-7

I know, and I tried making it clear in my post that unless he cares about realism, it's pointless.

There are some of us, however, who like our weapons to look as close to the thing we're imitating as possible. I'm sure I can't be alone. Things like missing 'vital' parts (vital on the real steel), visible battery wiring etc really kills an airsoft build for me. But hey, each to his own.

Also, you point out that this is an airsoft forum like realism isn't a part of airsoft. If it was a paintball marker, I'd understand your point.

• Like 1

I know, and I tried making it clear in my post that unless he cares about realism, it's pointless.

There are some of us, however, who like our weapons to look as close to the thing we're imitating as possible. I'm sure I can't be alone. Things like missing 'vital' parts (vital on the real steel), visible battery wiring etc really kills an airsoft build for me. But hey, each to his own.

It came across like you were bashing him, so I stuck for him. If I misunderstood you that's my mistake, my apologies.

Also, you point out that this is an airsoft forum like realism isn't a part of airsoft. If it was a paintball marker, I'd understand your point.

It's a part, you're quite right, but that's all it is. A part that any player is more than entitled to entirely ignore if they so wish. If I want to run around with a hello kitty gun using box mags and a stick 12x sniper scope over a 7" barrel, that's my decision. If you don't want to do that because you have different priorities, that's fine too.

If what I said came across as an implication that realism has no place at all in the sport, then you either misread me or I didn't explain myself clearly enough, that's all it is.