AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Here's my plain KWA with a new G&P TD grip thanks to beta!

imgp0529d.th.jpg

imgp0530m.th.jpg

imgp0536x.th.jpg

And soon hopefully thanks to Piano Black, it'll start looking like this:

GP_1_MARK_ADD.jpg

At least similar to that. Block II inspired, but I'll add some of my own flair.

Edited by Leon Kennedy

Hey guys, although I also have a kwa m4, I'm just posting my TM M16a2 right now, mainly because I need some opinions: tmm16a2.jpg

I'm thinking of "modernizing" her externally, and want to see if everyone here likes/dislikes the ideas I got in mind :).

Magpul PTS MOE hand guard to replace the stock hand guard:

MagPul PTS MOE M4/M16 Rifle Handguard ( Black ) by: MagPul PTS -

I would remove the front sight off my barrel. I would also would never use the bipod; rarely ever use it anyway.

Either a full new metal body, with RIS style upper receiver, or just a plastic RIS style upper receiver. This is so I can mount the scope much lower instead of way up on top of the rear sight. I would prefer the metal one obviously, but I dont want to spend as much as a new gun on this project, so I'm thinking about my budget here as well :3. I think I'd prefer the new lower regardless if I go metal or plastic,because iirc my TM did not take M4-Pmags the last time I tried it, and that's something I'm hoping to transition to in the near future. Only my KWA did.

Next, the stock. I wasn't sure what I'm doing with this. I'd be fine keeping the stock one, as I'm being conscious of money here. However, if I can afford a newer one,I want the battery to be in the rear in the stock, whether its my 7.2, or a full size nimh battery. I'm fully open to suggestions here. :)

Last but not least, if budget allowed, I'd get a new pistol grip.

P.S I would keep all the stock TM parts so I don't lose the value of the gun. Duh.

Edited by CSC Maverick

Hey guys, although I also have a kwa m4, I'm just posting my TM M16a2 right now, mainly because I need some opinions:

I'm thinking of "modernizing" her externally, and want to see if everyone here likes/dislikes the ideas I got in mind :).

I would remove the front sight off my barrel. I would also would never use the bipod; rarely ever use it anyway.

Either a full new metal body, with RIS style upper receiver, or just a plastic RIS style upper receiver. This is so I can mount the scope much lower instead of way up on top of the rear sight. I would prefer the metal one obviously, but I dont want to spend as much as a new gun on this project, so I'm thinking about my budget here as well :3. I think I'd prefer the new lower regardless if I go metal or plastic,because iirc my TM did not take M4-Pmags the last time I tried it, and that's something I'm hoping to transition to in the near future. Only my KWA did.

Next, the stock. I wasn't sure what I'm doing with this. I'd be fine keeping the stock one, as I'm being conscious of money here. However, if I can afford a newer one,I want the battery to be in the rear in the stock, whether its my 7.2, or a full size nimh battery. I'm fully open to suggestions here. :)

Last but not least, if budget allowed, I'd get a new pistol grip.

P.S I would keep all the stock TM parts so I don't lose the value of the gun. Duh.

first id say figure out how mch you want to spend and what you want the MOST?

right now, on Redwolf w/ the sale you can pick up a G&P metal body for 115-120 shipped pending on if they have the one you might like (not sure if want A or B version if going to still use a full stock; so some Q-in here); but it seems thats something you really want. Front ends you can do a lot w/ but do range in $$$ , The MOE isnt bad (not my fav), but is good for the price and w/ the GI sale u'd be picking it up for like 40 bucks

as for stocks assuming the 7.2 is a lipo ; you could also pick up a PRS or UBR (granted are 150 or so) and put that in the buffer tube

I would remove the front sight off my barrel.

If you use a drop in hand guard such as that MOE you must have some sort of FSP set up. You could keep the fixed sights, get some fip up gas block sights, a low profile gas block, or a railed gas block. Personally, I'd get a gas block with flip up BUIS. That would help with using the scope but still provide sights. Low profile gas blocks would eliminate any sort of back up sighting system. A railed gas block would allow you to mount sights, but they rarely match up with the RIS of the upper receiver. Personally I also think they look dumb.

If you want a new metal body you pretty much have to get a whole receiver set. Most metal body kits out there are meant for one piece hop up designs and would most likely not be a direct fit (metal lower+TM upper/ TM lower+ metal upper). To do this, you'd have to get something such as an ACM kit with two piece hop up design or a KWA set, both of which aren't too easy. I'd still advise getting a whole new receiver set.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Shift

I am aware Tm's are two piece hopup designs, which does limit my options. TM and KWA are the only two piece designs I know off the top of my head. Anyone know what ACM's are two piece?

Also, thank you for reminding me that the FSP is required to mount the handguard. I'll definitely have to look into the alternate FSPs.

Edited by CSC Maverick

I don't think I could afford it, but does anyone know if the magpul PTS metal body supports two piece hopup? >.<

Realistically though, I'm looking at either a JG metal body, or, if it supports two-piece, a madbull one. Third option would simply be a jg or echo plastic body.