AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

There were experimental flat top uppers pretty much in the '70s. I don't know the specific year though.

Early 2000s hence the A4 designation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail actually has some good information on the subject, the Mil test start for the standardized rail project is dated to FEB1995..... you will see most uppers with optics will have them attached to the carry handle prior to late 1990s.

Brown or Black case?

Nothing in this world smells better than a brand new Gibson case, except maybe a Taylor case.

Black with white interior. Still has that vanilla smell, despite having seen the road a remarkable amount for a guitar I bought a year and a half ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picatinny_rail actually has some good information on the subject, the Mil test start for the standardized rail project is dated to FEB1995..... you will see most uppers with optics will have them attached to the carry handle prior to late 1990s.

Thanks... I had thought M16A3s were in service mid-90s, but maybe I was misinformed.

SSG can you actually see through your red dot?

Well I can see through, but I dont see too much...for a skirmish, I wouldn't leave it in this setup. But in fact, you know, if you have both eyes open you dont have to see through it because you see the red dot on your target, even when first okular of the aimpoint is closed^^

I have the same irons and my red dot's never co-witness well. Your better off removing the rear BUIS in favor of real steel flip ups.

I would remove it then =)

I thought all A3s & A4s were railed?

Well I've seen this been discused in a couple of threads on this forum alone. This is one of shadownova's posts in the USMC thread that gives good info on the subject:

Before it was the M16-A3 it was the M16-A2E3, a designator later dropped in favor of M16-A3. This was before there were flat-top receivers, rail handguards, or whatever.

Here is the DoD mil-std spec book for the M16-A3, notice the date of 19 June 1992. Read it for yourself.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29272650/MIL-R-71135-Rifle-5-56MM-M16A2E3-1992

These type of government documents define what a rifle needs to be/have to be classified as a M16-A2E3/M16-A3. It wasn't until years later that rifles guides needed to add distinction to things like the carrying handle or the upper receiver, because it wasn't until later that there could be anything else except what came previously. That's why if you, as a government armorer, take an M16-A2 and give it a full auto firing pack it becomes an M16-A3. Because according to the mil-std spec book the only difference between the A2 and the A3 is the firing pack. If you were to take the M16-A2 and replace the upper receiver and put the MWS on it (and whatever mickey mouse differences there are) eventually you'd end up with an M16-A4, because those difference are what define the A4 versus an A2. If you then took that M16-A4 (that you built from an A2) and replaced it with a full-auto firing pack you'd get... that's right... an UNCLASS'd weapon! Maybe in the future it will become the M16-A5.

OR... like I said earlier...

"An M16-A3 is an M16-A2 with full-auto firing mode."

And thanks to Piano Black...my dream rifle is not complete. Kinda. I need a new foreward grip (TD, AFG2?) and a PEQ15, new flash hider, optics...but otherwise it's where I want it.

imgp0579o.jpgimgp0574u.jpg

imgp0585j.jpg

imgp0586m.jpg

imgp0587f.jpg

Edited by Leon Kennedy