AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Results of my Magpul PTS receiver anodizing.

Could be better but despite of its all imperfections - alloy is not very suitable for anodizing - I still like it. Perhaps because it looks like anodized metal, not painted metal ;).

DSC_0462-2.jpg

Edited by MRF
  • Like 4

Could be better but despite of its all imperfections - alloy is not very suitable for anodizing - I still like it. Perhaps because it looks like anodized metal, not painted metal ;).

Normally I'm not a particularly massive fan of Mk18's, but that thing looks *suitcase*-hot.

Edited by hwagan

Looks awesome, although I still liked it quite a bit while the receiver was bare... It actually served as an inspiration on one of my current builds.

Well there was something in alu version. But I had to try to anodize ;). And now I know it's... hazardous ;).

Problem is sh..y aluminium alloys used for airsoft receiver castings. I have some plans about Madbull M4 body - in this case at least I know what kind of alloy was used for production. This info gives a little bit more hope that anodizing will result in consistent color effect.

@ validtumoralarm

Yeah, definitely that's the one :D.

I like to complicate life myself ;).

Seriously - I'm the one of those, who can't afford another replica just like that :). That's the secret.

On the other hand it's interesting to change, and rebuild :) from time to time. And in fact, I like Block-II-CQBR-like AR more than M6. Because of holy "grail" of all rail ;).

Edited by MRF

Unless CA fixed their FDE, I wouldn't go anywhere near their "dark Bronze" M6A2. It's a pretty hideous color, and not just in pics. Same goes for Madbull's FDE bronze. Ick. Start with the black and go from there. Part of the problem is that even LWRCi had serious consistency issues in their FDE line. It would look anything from the FDE in the TNVC pic to a strong hideous bronze (though still not as hideous as CA's bronze).

MRF your gun looks good. The FDE is a bit dark for my taste, but I still appreciate it. Good job.

@usmcCorps

I spoke and read a little about anodizing, and it seem, that is much more complicated, than it appears - , is hard to repeat color with exactly the same final effect in different production batches. I've read somewhere on ar15.com that this issue applies also to DD RIS II rails.

I haven't had an opportunity to see in person another Madbull's mk18 copy yet, but knowing it all, I wouldn't be suprised about potential differences.

I agree, it is bit to dark, but believe me - there was no possibility to control the process in this matter ;). We were both happy - workshop employee and me - that body has been finally covered with color in acceptable way ;).

Unless CA fixed their FDE, I wouldn't go anywhere near their "dark Bronze" M6A2. It's a pretty hideous color, and not just in pics. Same goes for Madbull's FDE bronze. Ick. Start with the black and go from there. Part of the problem is that even LWRCi had serious consistency issues in their FDE line. It would look anything from the FDE in the TNVC pic to a strong hideous bronze (though still not as hideous as CA's bronze).

MRF your gun looks good. The FDE is a bit dark for my taste, but I still appreciate it. Good job.

Even LWRC switched to Cerakote finishing on all their guns. Now riddle me this... I see some Cybergun information on VFC's website, it appears they are having some of their guns lisenced from them. If CG owns SI and SI owns CA or somthing like that in another order, couldnt VFC get a lisence for some LWRC guns?

That M4 is pure sex. How much did the anodizing cost you?

That M4 is pure sex. How much did the anodizing cost you?

Hah !

Funny thing is I don't know yet :D. Really.

Initially service was priced for about 65$ (considering dolar currency in Poland). But anodizing didn't turned out as we all want it to, so I was promised that price tag will be lower. I expect ~50$.