AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

My KJW M4

and my TM/Hirricane 416

Oh, hurricane 416 kit? That's quite rare, and a painfully expensive kit back then. Nice to see someone else out there actually brought it...

Mine was the 2nd/earlier Version. it was my first 'serious' build. I went mad and brought a SF M971 big head .... which was waaaaay too heavy and impractical..

DSC_0073.jpg

I'm not sure what version mine is, I actually picked it up second hand, Do you have the same issue where it spits out any of the non-hurricane H&K mag? I've been trying to fix it so I can use regular mags, unsuccessfully.

Edited by frogfish

I'm not sure what version mine is, I actually picked it up second hand, Do you have the same issue where it spits out any of the non-hurricane H&K mag? I've been trying to fix it so I can use regular mags, unsuccessfully.

I think it's the third/final version, the engravings were a bit different and true to the real deal.

I'm using G&P steel mag catch, which is okay with most mags i've been using (TM stock, Magpul and STANAG low-caps made in Hongkong.) except those 'Dboys' H&K marking hi-caps. I think it's more of an issue with the mags.

Hrmm, I've been using Mag mids for a while, and this thing pretends to hold onto them, then mid run I'll look down and there won't be a mag in the magwell.... no bueno. I tried swapping the catch from several weapons and none worked, but as the mags work in every other weapon I've used I'm a little confused, it seems there is a little too much play in the well for what I have and they eventually wiggle free.

I'm fine for the time being but I'm sure my supply of mags that work with it will dwindle... and I'll be forced into trying a more permanent solution...

lol, maybe it's because the locking head of mag catch being too short/thin and unable to reach into the mag's socket OR maybe it's the feeding nozzle of the included metal hop-up unit being too long/thick/wrong diameter and preventing the mags to fit into place.

Either way i think you'll have to modify the parts abit.

EDIT: btw, the mag well of HE's 416kit was somehow 'larger' than other 416 models (eg, VFC's) , so most mags i used r quite loose, several layers of duct tape onto the inside of the mag-well fixed it nicely.

Edited by amblin83

That's essentially what I had to do on all my VFC SR-15's (all 4 of them). I'd be mid game and realize I lost a mag somewhere. Mags were loose enough at one point, and I'd be so paranoid about dropping mags that I started holding the mag into the magwell (magwell grip) and that's not how I shoot RS. I didn't want to develop training scars so I took another look at it. Friends had mentioned shimming inside the mag well with various different materials such as tape or gluing some polystyrene sheets in there. Most tape would get torn up eventually then I remembered I had some Gorilla Glue Duct tape (which is stronger than regular duct tape) left over from when I was repairing some damaged duffel bags, and used 2 to 3 layers of that on either side of the mag well. Worked like a charm! And after a years' worth of gaming, it still hasn't shown any signs of wear.

One of my buddies suggested another alternative:

It's a common occurrence, loose mags, sometimes to the point where you'll drop mags and not know it, often you'll have some feeding issues. The most common band aid is tape inside the magwell. I did that for years, but even still I had moments where my mag wasn't secure in the receiver, it was just friction fit; so I decided to fix this issue.

My modded mag release is on the right, a brand new stock mag release is on the left. Right off the bat you can see that it was butchered.

I squared up the engagement area at the top of the mag release, using a file just take a few swipes to create a nice sharp corner. The back of the mag release (closer to shooter) is rounded. I did this because sometimes when pressing the mag release, it seems to come out a bit too far and get stuck on its way back in the gun, a minor annoyance but not an issue any more.

Then, I filed down the tip of the mag release (farthest from the shooter). Filing this area down is what actually allows the mag release to sit inside the gun.

photo4copyo.jpg

Next, I bent the mag release inward slightly. I did this to help it engage the magazine even more. Note that if you do not file tip of the mag release (where the locking lug is) you cannot have the mag release sit inside the body any more than it is. You need to file the tip and then bend the mag release to get the result.

photo3copy.jpg

Perhaps that'll help solve your problem. Personally, I've modified mag releases in the past by filling the top face of the catch hoping that'd hook into the mag better, but that still didn't do the job. That said I never tried bending the mag release though. And my buddy said that was key to getting a good engagement into the mag.

I will also add that at one point I used those old school norgon style ambi mag catches for AEGs. I think they were made by G&P. They SUCKED. Never held a mag in place. I'd strongly suggest trying the solution my buddy detailed on a spare mag catch.

My SR25 EMC in its Final Configuration :

sr252.jpg

sr251.jpg

Kit List

A&K SR-25 Base

G&P M110 URX II Rail System

G&P M110 Barrel machined down to 16"

G&P M110 Gas Block Machined to EMC Configuration

MadBull Surefire FH

Accu-Shot BT10-LW17 - Atlas Bipod with ADM 170-S Lever Mount

Magpul AFG

Gear Sector Rail Mount QD Socket

Larue Index Clips

Tango Down Scar Panels

VFC PEQ-15 : Debating on changing this over to the G&P DBAL

Gear Sector Offset Flashlight Mount with Surefire M600C Scout Light

Surefire SR07 Rail Mounted Switch : Trimed to fit between the 12 and 9 O'Clock Rails.

Larue Tactical (LT724) Angled CQB QD Mount with an Aimpoint Micro T-1

Larue Tactical (LT135) SPR / M4 1.93" QD Mount with a Millett DMS 1-4 x 24 (Fitted with Bulter Creek Scope Covers)

Troy Rear BUIS

Magpul ACS Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

Magpul Trigger Guard

Ares Armour Husky Amentum Slider Sling in AOR1

Not Shown :

Mapul LR20 P-Mags 4 Off

MadBull Surefire Suppressor

• Like 2

Hmm... Nice face mask integrated with glasses. What kind/brand is it ?

I run Oakley M Frame 2.0s; the face mask is just the lower half of one of those old school Sansei masks. I've used this set up forever. I've noticed that the lower half of the Sansei mask is much more lower profile than other mask types enabling a closer cheek weld for lower-mounted optics.