AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

Thanks for comments - initial impressions from backyard plinking

Positives

1) Cycles well (London temperature today was 12c, air was damp, drizzly)

2) KWA PMAGS are ROCK SOLID LEAK FREE BOOMBASTICLY good (all 6 of them)

3) Barrel can be 10.5 or 14.5 via extension

Negatives

1) Receiver is wobbly (but I have OCD when it comes to this), hopefully RA Tech pin will sort that out

2) Paint has come off receiver just by putting on a Magpul MBUS - NOT IMPRESSED, G&P finish this isn't.

3) Magpul ASAP will not fit without modification & PTS CTR wobbles on stock tube - ironic ehh? :rolleyes:

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

My real upper and most I've handled also wobble, a foam earplug cut in half and placed under the takedown pin will fix that right up if it bothers you, but I find when actually using the gun that I tend to slighlty tension my arms inward which tends to lock the receivers tight against each other. Too bad the finish sounds weak but there is always cerakote to fix that.

I want another GBBr for the Airsoft Practical Carbine league I hope to help start this summer, maybe I'll look into the KWAs.

3) Magpul ASAP will not fit without modification & PTS CTR wobbles on stock tube - ironic ehh?

Ignore me if the gun came with the stock, or if you've already checked this etc., but sounds like you might have a mismatched MilSpec buffer tube and Commercial Spec stock?

Edited by PureSilver

Well, they make a real one - and the PTS one (on their site) merely says "standard airsoft M4 stock body", which on the wording alone I would have said was Commercial, or at least distinct from MilSpec (though I've never owned any PTS gear). Standard airsoft M4 buffer tubes could be TM's, which I think are milspec? Obviously it's distinctly possible I'm wrong, lol

Edited by PureSilver

TM spec buffer tubes are slightly smaller than milspec. PTS stocks were made years ago to the TM spec. These days PTS stocks are made to MilSpec, which is why when you use TM spec buffer tubes, they're not 100% tight and wiggle free. They were done this way as GBBR buffer tubes are typically milspec and therefore the stocks are at least compatible with both AEGs and GBBRs.

More info here:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/177260-milspec-vs-commercial-spec-ar-buffer-tubes/

Whoow a little parcel arrived this morning containing delicious new parts.

im716.jpg

im713.jpg

Picked up one of those little crusader fire selector switches, a G&P polymer kac style trigger-guard and lastly an element offset scout-light mount.

• Like 3

Whoow a little parcel arrived this morning containing delicious new parts.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/6932/im716.jpg

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/3504/im713.jpg

Picked up one of those little crusader fire selector switches, a G&P polymer kac style trigger-guard and lastly an element offset scout-light mount.

Im glad to see that Gear Sector (ish) parts are rising in popularity compared to other lesser yet significantly more popular alternatives. Thats an awesome build.

I revisited my torch set up since my last post... Ended up rejuvenating a Surefire M4 Devastator I had laying around that never got used due to its size. The folks at CPF had a lot of info on what one can do with it. Sufficed to say, my two Surefires arent going to be on the sidelines due to incandescent bulbs. Got a TNVC LED bezel and a Surefire XM06 & ST06 for it. Supposed to be 150mins @ 600lumens. Beats 25mins @ 350 lumens!

AEG Base:

201205112101.jpg

Some modularity... More coming. Trijicollection will have an RX30 sometime in here. Also looking into an ADM mount for my Tango Down VFG and Harris bipod.

201205112102.jpg

Surefire M4 Devastator with new bezel and remote switch...

201205112203.jpg

...and assembled for DMR/Grenadier roles.

201205112204.jpg

Also wrapped up the internals. Shoots a consistent 393 fps and hits a torso-sized tree stump at 150' almost every time. Just needs some parts on the receivers and its good to go!

Madbull/Daniel Defense Receivers, Rail, and barrel.

Surefire FA556AR flash suppressor and sound suppressor, flashlight, tapeswitch, etc.

Magpul MOE&PTS MIAD grip, MOE stock, and EMAGS.

Replica TD rail covers (not paying $20 a piece for molded plastic thats hitting a compound miter saw)

Gear Sector sling attachment points, 1913 rail, and flashlight mount.

Triji TR24 and RMR (amber x2)

Cheers guys.

Edited by QDRenegade
  • Like 4

It's not much special. Cost me £80 for the gun, £50 for the eotech clone and I already had the foregrip. Originally it was doing around 307fps, but I took the gearbox apart last month and got it firing at 343fps, +/-1fps just by using dental floss, silicone lube and PTFE tape.

p1010740d.jpg

Next jobs are to replace the hop unit and get a new ejection port flap. Long term I'll be looking at a second upper to swap it over to a longer configuration and a total respray / replacement of the existing body.

Edited by Brooxy
  • Like 1

Im glad to see that Gear Sector (ish) parts are rising in popularity compared to other lesser yet significantly more popular alternatives. Thats an awesome build.

I revisited my torch set up since my last post... Ended up rejuvenating a Surefire M4 Devastator I had laying around that never got used due to its size. The folks at CPF had a lot of info on what one can do with it. Sufficed to say, my two Surefires arent going to be on the sidelines due to incandescent bulbs. Got a TNVC LED bezel and a Surefire XM06 & ST06 for it. Supposed to be 150mins @ 600lumens. Beats 25mins @ 350 lumens!

AEG Base:

*snip*

Some modularity... More coming. Trijicollection will have an RX30 sometime in here. Also looking into an ADM mount for my Tango Down VFG and Harris bipod.

*snip*

Surefire M4 Devastator with new bezel and remote switch...

*snip*

...and assembled for DMR/Grenadier roles.

*snip*

Also wrapped up the internals. Shoots a consistent 393 fps and hits a torso-sized tree stump at 150' almost every time. Just needs some parts on the receivers and its good to go!

Madbull/Daniel Defense Receivers, Rail, and barrel.

Surefire FA556AR flash suppressor and sound suppressor, flashlight, tapeswitch, etc.

Magpul MOE&PTS MIAD grip, MOE stock, and EMAGS.

Replica TD rail covers (not paying $20 a piece for molded plastic thats hitting a compound miter saw)

Gear Sector sling attachment points, 1913 rail, and flashlight mount.

Triji TR24 and RMR (amber x2)

Cheers guys.

SOOOO much love for this! Especially for your TR24!!!! Lovely setup, it's nice to see such a practical, and lovely build whit great photos! Keep them coming!