AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

VFC MK18 RIS is available separately? Or just with the gun? I have never seen it anywhere but I have not checked all webshops either.

I'm pretty sure it's not. At least not from airsoft stores.

I think Noveske mentioned once, VFC sells single parts if You contact them - but I can only guess if that is also the case.

I got that but I do not have an INO nor a PTW so RS stuff is out of question for me. :) And I suppose ATF does not really approve me buying and exporting a DD RIS anyway. :D

If You can afford it - buy from Brownells. They sell RS stuff worldwide, excluding "hazardous" items like paints. That's why I can't buy d...mn cerakote :angry: .

;)

Edited by MRF

Indeed. Except I did mine back in 2008. :D

Sick gun, and sick paintjob.

As did I!

Speaking of 2008, I think it'd be fun to post how these airsoft builds evolve. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and also wanted to gather up the photos I've posted over the years, so, warning, long post:

Aside from pistols and 1 AK, ARs are the only style of airsoft guns I've over owned, and I have a good amount of old photos. Oddly enough, in this period I've moved 4 times, so it's also a record of the various flooring choices I've encountered, so hope you enjoy :D

This is how the CQBR I posted two pages back used to look circa 2008/2009 when I was still in college. This was my first WAM4 and began it's life as a WOC from WGC. This was also right around when the Block II craze started, as you guys have mentioned:

carbine2.jpg

An in-between phase culminating in 2010 where I added some doodads, none of which I liked or kept:

dsc0014n.jpg

I did minimal changes through 2011, most major being Prime to Inok receiver and fitting that rail flush, mostly in an attempt to make it more "mil-spec" looking:

b21it.jpg

This laid disassembled for most of 2010-2011 before finally the mid 2012 changeover to CQBR I just completed. The only parts I've carried over are the fake can and the gas tube. Similar deck, similar airsoft, but 4 years apart:

73103933.jpg

Some other gems from the past. SAM-R AEG, the last AEG I ever owned. Built in 2007 I think, currently in pieces:

dsc0151.jpg

Several of those pieces were recycled into this SPR-ish GBBR, which is also now in pieces in favor of that 16" recce:

dsc0083mt.jpg

And entirely unrelated, a 7.5" GBBR on a Iron Airsoft LaRue upper I split with someone on these boards, circa 2010 I think, currently also in pieces. The outer barrel was a really nice piece made by Prime, this thing was very solid and compact, which made me want to build the CQBR above:

dsc0004y.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by slu
  • Like 2

Speaking of 2008, I think it'd be fun to post how these airsoft builds evolve. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic and also wanted to gather up the photos I've posted over the years, so, warning, long post:

Nice guns, both at the moment and on the way. My guns have always had a fair few bits moved about before moving on, until I got my WOC, which has been through the same process. Once I get my hands on the Bomber MRP I'm almost dying of waiting for, the original is going to get the front end changed. Not sure what exactly yet, but I'm really liking the look of the DD MFR rail, so probably involving one of those.

When I first got it (Ate 1500 Blaster .3's in 3 hours the day I got it before I finally gave it a rest);

Photo0841.jpg

This is basically as I bought it, with the addition of a Lo-pro gas block and BUIS which I added immediately.

Then, I went and got myself the MUR/MOE upper combo from Ehobby, resulting in the below combo. Also engraved 'Red 27' on the lower, knowing full well this thing wasn't leaving my posession by now.. (2 uppers, one lower, switched out depending how I felt at the time);

P1010686.jpg

P1010719-1.jpg

(Addition of URX 7" and rail accessories to the CQBR upper)

Next up, I sold off most of the MOE upper and bought a WOC-X Car-15, and had a lot of issues with the shortened recoil system, so I scrapped most of it and built this... Sort of, M733, ish, thing...

P1010752.jpg

Decided it was a bit silly, so ended up with this again;

P1010814.jpg

Realised I had a can of silver spray after I'd damaged the finish on the 12" silver barrel from the MOE, so then got to this;

P1010853.jpg

Realised the rail was a little too short for me to grip comfortably, and went with the 9" URX and the same red dot I always end up buying and selling due to realising I don't really use it...

P1010986.jpg

That's basically the current setup as it stands, minus the KAC can and T-1, which have both gone to people who might actually use them. Thinking about it, it's been through a lot in the barely a year since I've owned it...

Edited by hwagan
  • Like 1

Mine kinda started out like this in Spring 2008:

286_22497311103_542_n.jpg

Then went to this by Summer 2008:

348_32853761103_7497_n.jpg

Late 2008/Early 2009:

2219_54582576103_9371_n.jpg

Late 2009/Early 2010:

DSC_0253.jpg

Sometime between 2010-2011:

IMG_6190.jpg

2011-Current:

608b74f0.jpg

• Like 1

WOW! have you played there? looks epic!

Many times over the years. This particular fellow had an incident involving quicksand and his gun got a liiiiitle bit dirty.

A couple of panorama shots... the entire landscape used to look like something from Star Wars, but recently has been being "reclaimed" and turned in to grassland. Ugh.

DSCF7368.JPG

DSCF7418.JPG

Anyway... back to M4s!

What do you like about it that you don't like about its current state?

It's just a matter of taste... but if You ask, mixing black and dark earth within one component seems pretty... disturbing - it's just this one small measure of detail, creating "to much" effect in there IMHO ;) - the same about MUR upper - never work with mk18 for me. XPS is cool, but somehow I've always liked bulky 553 better. And flash hider is actually the thing I would change in both variants...

I've just realized 2008 version looks very sleek and clean without all of those tacticool attachments on RIS - perhaps I should do some cleaning on my replica as I have very similar setup...

Hunk. I actually really like the MOE handguards. If KWA or someone else came out with a mid length 14.5" barrel or a 16" dissipate barrel, I would totally get a mid length or rifle length MOE handguard (respectively). For the way I shoot my real ARs I just prefer more length to grip the front end. I'm just not crazy about carbine length hand guards.

Slayer: the VTAC is my preference, but the regular Troy rail serves the exact same purpose in the exact same way. There's really no benefit (in my mind) for one over the other. I just like the look of the VTAC a little better. I've been hunting around for a 13" VTAC alpha rail for this build but they're totally sold out everywhere in both RS and Airsoft variants. RS version won't be rereleased to dealers for a few weeks. I've been eyeballing this 12" Midwest industries rail for a while now and found one for a good price of $150, which, for what it is, is incredible value. I can get Troy rails for around the same price, I just liked this rail because I haven't seen anyone else in Airsoft use it yet, and not too many ppl in the RS community either. Plus it allows me to set it up similar to my PredatAR. I was considering installing a URX 3 ... but I'm really happy with where this build is going. I'll probably install a 13" VTAC rail on my other sample LM4 when the rails are around again.

emp3ror86: the LM4 100% accepts RS milspec rails, pistol grips, and stocks. That's all I've tested on it so far.

Edited by uscmCorps