AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

I measured it after I read your guide about buffer tubes. Now I will be looking for the measures of the RS threading so I can check if KSC is RS spec or not.

I currently have a KSC M4A1 and soon will have a KSC M4 CQB-R which ones will be compared in a review.

I heard from a KSC parts salesman that the CQB-R has got a different receiver so it is not compatible with the M4A1. I hope that the KWA LM4 is actually based on the CQB-R so I can get RS stock to it.

Hunk. I actually really like the MOE handguards. If KWA or someone else came out with a mid length 14.5" barrel or a 16" dissipate barrel, I would totally get a mid length or rifle length MOE handguard (respectively). For the way I shoot my real ARs I

Agreed for the most part. I'd love their mid-length hand guards but only Beta Project seems to sell a barrel separate and its threaded so my tracer won't mount and I don't want to buy a G&P for the set up, due to cost and a repeat of the tracer unit issue.

It's just a matter of taste... but if You ask, mixing black and dark earth within one component seems pretty... disturbing - it's just this one small measure of detail, creating "to much" effect in there IMHO ;) - the same about MUR upper - never work with mk18 for me. XPS is cool, but somehow I've always liked bulky 553 better. And flash hider is actually the thing I would change in both variants...

I've just realized 2008 version looks very sleek and clean without all of those tacticool attachments on RIS - perhaps I should do some cleaning on my replica as I have very similar setup...

Haha I see. Well I started out wanting to build a Block 2 but then after mating it with the MPL lower, I just kinda figured the MUR-1 would look nice with that lower. And then being a fanboy, everything went MPL from then on hahahahaha

As for the 553 vs EXPS. Looks aside, the 553 really packs on a lot of weight vs the EXPS.

I couldn't sleep and decided to be productive instead. So, going through the to-do list for my LM4, two agenda items were addressed this evening:

I had some spare parts from my RS KAC selectors, so I modified the KWA safety and installed the KAC scalloped right side selector onto it.

kwalm4ambi01safe.jpg

kwalm4ambi02semi.jpg

Not *quite* as flush to the receiver as I wanted, but it works great.

Next was the charging handle. Installed a BCM gunfighter latch onto the KWA charging handle. Works great. Minimal modification done to the latch.

kwalm4bcmsmall.jpg

Left to do:

• Modify and install a Magpul ASAP plate.

• Modify and install a Magpul BAD.

I discovered last night that KWA USA has a dedicated forum for the LM4. Lots of good information on that site:

http://kwausa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8576

So far for drop in, no mods necessary compatibility:

MilSpec Stocks

MilSpec handguards/rails

MilSpec Pistol Grips

MilSpec charging handle latches (just the latch, not the charging handle)

MilSpec gas blocks/front sight

MilSpec BUIS

I discovered last night that KWA USA has a dedicated forum for the LM4. Lots of good information on that site:

http://kwausa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8576

So far for drop in, no mods necessary compatibility:

MilSpec Stocks

MilSpec handguards/rails

MilSpec Pistol Grips

MilSpec charging handle latches (just the latch, not the charging handle)

MilSpec gas blocks/front sight

MilSpec BUIS

Thanks. Any idea how far off the upper receiver itself is?

Slu: From what I saw, it wasn't worth trying. I'll let someone else with the time, effort and money to try and convert it. Even though the stock upper is a two piece (left and right) design, it's still a blank upper.

Also, MilSpec Trigger guards are compatible.

Thanks. Any idea how far off the upper receiver itself is?

As uscm mentioned, it's definitely different. First off there's no barrel extension...it's part of the outer barrel. The dimensions appears to be similar...I haven't had chance to compare it yet.

Edited by BaBaBooey

I like the retrospectives, though it's disturbing how much this thread and it's predecessors have cost me over the past few years.

My first airsoft M4, "tricked out" rather randomly after a trip to the ASGI and Evike retail shops:

SDC10209.jpg

The same rifle, after browsing Arnies for a few months:

SDC10501.jpg

After some more browsing (mainly in the Magpul thread) I got my first M4 AEG:

IMG_20100727_085713.jpg

In 2010 I decided I didn't like Magpul and Block II was the way to go:

SDC10496.JPG

I even built a Block I CQBR when I ran out of things to buy (wish I had hung on to this one):

SDC10532.JPG

I started to build this one but gave it up when a teammate needed some parts:

SDC10757.JPG

Currently I only have two AR variants:

blk2mrp.JPG

• Like 2

KSC MK18 GBBRs

bitchez.jpg

Tonight was a busy one. The one with RIS II is my previous KSC M4A1 turned into MK18 Block II (Bladerunner168 might recognize his earlier gun :) ). The other one with the Madbull DD MFR is a brand new KSC M4 CQB-R.

Being a leftie I needed a gun with ambi controls. The stock RAS was a complete disappointment so I gave up on keeping the front sight block and used up the Madbull MFR, I also installed a Crusader charging handle latch and soon will a BAD selector.

Both of them are WIP, flashhiders are not alligned well and both of them are missing gas blocks and tubes. As the CQB-R has got an aluminium flashhider I will replace it with something that suits this configuration.

AFG + MFR = win.

Edited by emp3ror86
  • Like 2

I even built a Block I CQBR when I ran out of things to buy (wish I had hung on to this one):

That picture is what I used as inspiration to build my last CQBR, and damnit, you just made me want to build another. Now I actually have a fitting one with trademarks...I just need a 10.5" barrel. Figures; I have an 11.5!

One of my shooting buddies wanted a LM4 for training which we picked up this evening from AEX. He gave me a spare RS Troy 13" Battle Rail to install onto the gun.

razorlm4.jpg

The RS Troy barrel nut was certainly harder to screw onto the receiver than the Madbull Troy/VTac rail's barrel nut. Similar to what I experienced with the Midwest Industries' rail. Quite a bit of effort was involved.