AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

It just seems odd as needing a cleaning rod rather than a bore snake is a sign of a significant problem, not something I would consider field expiedient, but if your desperate every advantage counts.

It's definitely done for expediency. While that cleaning rod is long, it's screwed together and is designed to be stored in a small, short pouch. So the fact that it's left on the side of his weapon in it's extended form tells me that is a conscious decision he made.

Now is your friend doing this on his airsoft gun to mimic his personal weapon or? I have seen a LM4 in the field for a total for 2 hours so I have no idea of the reliability of the platform .

As for my friend doing it, he does it on one of his RS ARs (he's got a lot) and has it on his LM4 simply to replicate what he does on his real AR. I strongly advocate keeping a cleaning rod handy with you in the field, including the airsoft field. I've seen plenty of situations in which myself or someone else in my team have had a jam that required a cleaning rod. It was happening often enough that a few of us bought Rapid Rods and carried those on our persons. Helped us out several times since. Perfect for both airsoft and RS.

G&P WOC or KWA LM4 is the way to go.

+1 on the KWA LM4. Really digging mine.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

There's one thing I've always thought I'd love to see in GBB airsoft weapons: Some form of extractor. I've wracked my brains a few times and I can't think of any possible way to grab a smooth, spherical object out of a hop unit and eject it from any rifle or pistol, but it would be seriously handy for a few different reasons.

Since no such system currently exists however, having a cleaning rod in easy reach makes a lot of sense on the field, seeing as you can never really guarantee you'll have a mag to hand that's empty of BBs but charged with gas to fire out your chambered round.

Edited by CKinnerley

Absoulutely. The ability to clear your weapon without shooting it is extremely important and currently a lacking quality in GBBRs. Would love to have one, but the fact that you can accidentally have more than one round in the barrel makes things even more complicated.

I'd keep the cleaning rod handy but I don't think I'd use it regularly to clear out a BB rather than simply shooting it out, since the cleaning rod increases the chances of tearing you bucking and adding wear to the inner barrel.

I'd keep the cleaning rod handy but I don't think I'd use it regularly to clear out a BB rather than simply shooting it out, since the cleaning rod increases the chances of tearing you bucking and adding wear to the inner barrel.

Am I the only guy that pops the mag out, locks black the slide, and blows down the muzzle to pop out the chambered BB then?

Edited by scorch

nope, I've also take a small allen wrench or something without sharp edges and poked the BBs out fron the chamber.

Thanks for not taking my post the wrong way there USMC, re-reading it it came off a little wrong. I just usually take some of the tips from these guys with a grain of salt, I may try something, but I've known more than a few guys to intentionally hand out bad advice to known airsofters just to *fruitcage* with them.

Edited by frogfish

Am I the only guy that pops the mag out, locks black the slide, and blows down the muzzle to pop out the chambered BB then?

I like my teeth. :)

I just usually take some of the tips from these guys with a grain of salt, I may try something, but I've known more than a few guys to intentionally hand out bad advice to known airsofters just to *fruitcage* with them.

When I attend classes I'm not advertising that I also enjoy airsoft. At least not initially. Once the instructor sees that I'm serious about shooting and learning and focused ... if I'm comfortable with the instructor I'll mention it. But you can tell a lot don't care for it. There's just too much stigma associated with airsoft. Also, most of the classes I'm attending nowadays are LE and MIL only so they assume that everyone in the class are serious shooters regardless of the end use application of what is taught.

As for handing out bad advice just to mess with people ... I've yet to see an instructor do that. I've seen different instructors hand out conflicting advice, often in regards to weapon manipulation techniques, shooting positions on the square range and occasionally regarding tactics, but they always back it up with real world SHTF experience of why they believe in that. There are so many people writing AARs for classes nowadays and legit cats in those classes as students that if an instructor imparted BS/bad advice they'll be called out on it very quickly. I just go into every class with an open mind and a willingness to learn. If it's something new I'll give it my best shot and see if it works better for me than what I've been taught in the past. If someone teaches me something extremely contrary to what someone else taught I'll ask the instructor (politely) the reasoning behind what they're teaching since I had been taught otherwise for specific reasons.

I don't hide that I airsoft but it's not something I readily disclose until asked, and even then I frame the answer carefully depending on who is asking.

Curious though who you've come across who's handing out bad advice? Were they instructors ... or operators? Because in my experience operators often don't give a *fruitcage* about what comes out of their mouths and will mess with anyone, civvies and airsofters. Instructors on the other hand care very much about what they say as that is their trade.

• Like 1

I know what you're talking about with discretion, USCM. I get a lot of range time for CCW training (a bit different than your LEO/MIL classes, for sure!) but I run into a few people who have the same anti-airsoft attitude. With such close-knit communities at ranges and shooting clubs, you have to watch what impressions you make on people, sadly.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the weathering job, but the paintjob is really effective. He does the same paintjob on all his RS guns. The suppressor looks a lot like his real one that he has back home in Florida. What blows my mind is he doesn't even bother breaking down the guns or masking them off. He just grabs the guns as is, and paints them. RS or airsoft ... same treatment. Nutty.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the weathering job, but the paintjob is really effective. He does the same paintjob on all his RS guns. The suppressor looks a lot like his real one that he has back home in Florida. What blows my mind is he doesn't even bother breaking down the guns or masking them off. He just grabs the guns as is, and paints them. RS or airsoft ... same treatment. Nutty.

I do the same. If you're going for a weathered or overall dusted look, I don't see the point in doing a takedown, really. I do tape over the ejection port or anything that could get in the hop/barrel usually, but that's about it. If you want the cerakote look, it makes sense to take everything apart.

So I posted my CQBR a page back, and I need help making a choice. Paint the whole thing for a PJ impression, or leave it black? Need opinions! Once it's painted, we know how hard it is to go back.

Leave it! I think it's gorgeous the way it is, and like you say, it's a lot harder to satisfactorily un-paint something than it is to paint it. (Besides, for 100% impression, you mentioned that you'd have to switch out a few bits anyway.)

...also, if you're ever thinking about selling that, mind giving me a heads-up? :D