AR15 Variants and Derivitives Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SLR 8" SBR build done. Just waiting for a few accessories (sling end plate, AAC Blast Shield, Cloud Defensive LCS, and an actual working ScoutLight head) and repairing my BTC Spectre, but otherwise al

Hey all! I kind of stumbled upon this thread by accident while searching for M16A2 receiver markings on google and saw one of Catgut's amazing VT's. Which brought me here I have been working on

One of my latest build, a real Colt M16A1 converted for GBBR on the WA system. Stripped upper, barrel and BCG was changed to Viper Tech du to my local laws. Also a video of how it was made:

Posted Images

Why keep the flip-up iron sights when you have a red dot scope?

did this question get asked in this thread very recently?

Also, batteries die, glass shatters, 4moa dot isn't good for shooting at range as a peep and post is, ect ect ect.

why have a spare flashlight when he has one on his peq, why have a red dot when he has a laser on his peq... think before you ask questions as answeres are often pretty obvious.

Why are all your questions so negative? Like you want to be some kind of smartass ... :huh:

Nice implication, I love you too.

I just think it's excessive to have AND a red dot scope AND flip up iron sights when you probably won't even use them because everyone always checks up on their stuff before going out on a game.

Or at least, they should.

Nice implication, I love you too.

I just think it's excessive to have AND a red dot scope AND flip up iron sights when you probably won't even use them because everyone always checks up on their stuff before going out on a game.

Or at least, they should.

Why run a red dot at all? At the velocity the bb flies at, we can see it's path already, the red dot is more of an obstruction than anything. Any kind of sight seems excessive, am I right? :rolleyes:

Why run a handguard? It's not like you can't hold the barrel, it's not going to get hot since we're not firing real ammunition. The handguard adds unnecessary weight to the gun, so it's excessive, am I right? :rolleyes:

Why run a stock? It's not like our AEGs recoil anyway, the stocks increase the overall length and weight of the gun, so it's excessive, am I right? :rolleyes:

Why run flash hiders? It's not like bb bullets produce flash that requires mitigating in airsoft. It adds length and weight to the gun, so it's excessive, am I right? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Since this is a picture thread, I thought I couldn't leave it without adding a picture in my post. I've attached what I want to build in the future from the recent discussion. That thing's a beauty, isn't it? :rolleyes:

post-63987-0-44401100-1347184208_thumb.jpg

Edited by intinerious
  • Like 8

Decided it looked a little bare up front with just the light, and the grip provides quite a nice index point when using the light. Plus, it doesn't really add much weight. Also swapped out the 12" for a 10.5" barrel.

Also now featuring Element Anti-Rotation links;

photo45.jpg

photo44.jpg

photo43.jpg

Also, Itinerious, lose the slip ring and just have the barrel nut dude. That's another weight saving right there :P

Edited by hwagan
  • Like 3

Pretty sure it just stands for back. :D

Damn you sir! :cookiemonster:

EDIT: Since this is a picture thread, I thought I couldn't leave it without adding a picture in my post. I've attached what I want to build in the future from the recent discussion. That thing's a beauty, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Dude, that thing looks way too damn heavy. You've still got a fake bolt plate, forward assist button and a charging handle on there; all totally unnecessary in airsoft. Heck I would go as far as to venture you've got a fake bolt catch & release button on the other side of that lower receiver, you mental person.

• Like 3

It's been stated many times. Why is it difficult for you to grasp FFS? The iron sight is a BACKUP. In the real world your red dot could get taken out by shrapnel/bullet whatever. How are you going to aim then? In airsoft your battery could die/glass get shot out but mainly, it's just for looks.

It's been stated many times. Why is it difficult for you to grasp FFS? The iron sight is a BACKUP. In the real world your red dot could get taken out by shrapnel/bullet whatever. How are you going to aim then? In airsoft your battery could die/glass get shot out but mainly, it's just for looks.

Because in any normal circumstances you won't encounter that.

But this discussion is mainly one of your opinion vs mine, right?

Because for the sake of a couple of grams, it adds next to no weight, but could come in real handy on a milsim event or a long afternoon where you don't want to return to the safezone due to a shattered lens (it gets shot, or you fall and the sight takes the brunt of the damage), or dead batteries in the middle of a fire fight where you can't/don't want to put yourself out of action. That's the point of the back up, presuming a normal circumstance, no they wouldn't be needed, but accidents can and do frequently happen.

Not to mention some people just like the look, gives the rifle appearance some balance etc, and even further to that, if you're building a rifle for an impression, and the unit you are doing an impression of use them, it would be a pretty glaring oversight to miss a detail like that.

That's a huge exaggeration of my original post and my statement.

I'm all for realism but why would you need 2 sights when one of them is fine already?

I won't bother repeating what other's have said already but I think the term "BUIS" pretty much sums up what the irons are for when you have an electronic optic on your gun (or even magnified ones).

You seem to harbour an impression that airsoft optics are pretty much indestructible; or that even if they break mid game that's no biggie; just run the gun with either nothing to aim with or using the glass as a reference frame. Not that I've experienced my own optics going down but try explaining that to those that HAVE had their optics down and if they liked running around with nothing 'purposeful' to aim with.

You should try telling armed forces who run Aimpoints not to run BUISs as well. The Aimpoints are probably near indestructible if you're not aiming to purposely destroy it, yet soldiers running around with aimpoints still keep their BUISs. You can counter that by saying that airsoft's not going to kill you when your optic goes down whereas for armed forces if their optics go down whilst on patrol or an operation; they'll end up with a higher risk of getting themselves killed or killing others unintentionally. I disagree however, given that the point of the BUISs are NOT to save a soldier's life when the optic goes down (that merely is a contributing factor at the end of the day if the soldier was able to utilise his BUIS) but to allow one to still have a proper tool for aiming which will allow a higher probably of success on getting rounds on target. If this is the case then why should airsofters not run BUISs for when their airsoft replica optics go down (whether your majority of airsofters know what zeroing is or how to actually do it is an entirely different matter)?

Secondly, the point of airsoft which is almost universally recognised is to simulate externally real steel rifles and how they are set up and used in real steel. Hence why we have so many external aftermarket parts that are replicas of those created by weapon companies. If real soldiers and armed forces run BUISs for the reason above, why should airsofters, though 95% of the time they will not use their irons, not have BUISs on their guns to simulate the exact setup that soldiers use on a daily basis? Is that not what airsoft is about in the mainstream? If not, then why would airsoft companies create so many replicas of items that airsofters don't really need to use, with BUIS replicas being one of the main things produced by airsoft companies as an external aftermarket accessory? Airsoft companies are not charities; they make products as a business to earn profits. If all of these BUIS replicas we have in airsoft don't sell, we won't see them flooding a large portion of the airsoft market on aftermarket externals.

If we, taking your logic, remove the BUISs from our airsoft guns only because they are useless given that most of us run optics, then we might as well take off everything else that I have mentioned given that they don't do anything either. If you opt to say that we should keep flash hiders, stocks and handguards; I don't see why you would exclude BUISs by the same logic.

This is not a matter of opinion as you posed a question to the rest of us here in this thread as to why we keep our irons on the gun when we run optics; you did not write anything akin to "I don't run irons because I find them excessive when I have an optic, thoughts?". Therefore, I don't see how you can correlate the amount of backlash you're getting due to 'different opinions'; you're getting a huge backlash because your question completely miss the mark of the 'mainstream' idea of airsoft along with what people assume is a lack of knowledge on something that the name really speaks for itself.

Edited by intinerious
  • Like 4

Also remember people in airsoft tend to get cheap optics that arent shock proof, water proof, ANZI rated, etc. Basically things that have a nasty habit of breaking the moment they eat *suitcase*. Or optics that use other styles of illumination which end up chewing up the battery. Plus we get shot regularly, if you actually play. IMHO airsoft seems like a prime shooting activity for backup iron sights.

What!? Please give us a link! :D

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that apparently Evike was right when they reported ages ago that Madbull was discontinuing their SF suppressor line. Even Madbull's website say so themselves. Any of the remaining suppressors are damn expensive and apparently don't look realistic (as Fiddlesticks told me) so if there are really ACM copies (I couldn't find them on Google) that'll be grand :P My butt won't feel so sore (because of the cost, not where I'm attaching the suppressor....) if I paid for an ACM version that's not 100% accurate in shape and dimension to the RS :P

Sorry, I just remembered I never replied. I've seen them at Airsoft Park and BoomArms.

http://www.airsoftpark.com/product_info.php?products_id=10053

• Like 1